PDA

View Full Version : Obituary

Rider
25-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Guys

Anyone writen one? Any tips?

I have googled it but i am still stuck :confused: Dont know if i should keep it short and simple or what.

EDIT I dont want to drible too much and write a book about his life.

MadDocker
25-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Short and simple is the best. My mates Dad died not too long ago. Cant remember exactly what was said but it was only a few lines and worked well.

Rider
25-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Thats what i am thinking as well MD, i am tryn to put it in a poem but i am failing as i thyn too hard gggrrrr

Barfridge
25-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Avoid crapping on with cliched expressions.

Keep it short, simple and personal.

The Saint
25-06-2009, 02:47 PM
An obituary, or a eulogy?

Rider
25-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Obituary

The Saint
25-06-2009, 02:56 PM
The hardest thing about writing an obituary is finding things to write about. If you have heaps to go from you're halfway there, just got to edit judiciously.

Go with a theme, might be a story about something he or she did that characterises their life. So introduce with that, and thread it through the obit which runs chronologically. Refer back to that theme occasionally to remind the reader that it was that event or act or whatever that summed up that person and their life.

Other than that I got nothing

SzyCo
25-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Aren't they just short messages to let the public know that a loved one has passed away?

The fact that you're writing one proves that the person you're writing about was loved and will be missed

Sorry for your loss

The Saint
25-06-2009, 03:03 PM
No, that would be a notice to let people know of a death.

Appropriately called a death notice.

SzyCo
25-06-2009, 03:10 PM
No, that would be a notice to let people know of a death.

Appropriately called a death notice.

Yes, you're right sorry.

The Saint
25-06-2009, 03:21 PM
That's OK, I was being a smartarse anyway :D

benspoon
25-06-2009, 04:14 PM
whats the first thing that comes to mind when you hear their name?
start writing, then chop it down.

shmoo
25-06-2009, 04:19 PM
So whats an obituary? Is it like an article in an oldboys school newsletter about the person who has recently passed away? That sort of thing?

Rider
25-06-2009, 04:27 PM
This is what i am going to go with

''Stipo Sapina was our uncle that passed away on 20/6/09 at the age of 58. He was a character that was larger then life, a man that will always make you laugh. He was always armed with a smile on his face and a blissful personality that would brighten up the darkest days. Stipo has done so much for our family; he will be remembered warmheartedly and missed dearly.
Rest In Peace Tečo, Love Sasha & Dunja.''

shmoo
25-06-2009, 04:30 PM
perhaps "who" or "whom" rather the "that" :)

Griff
25-06-2009, 04:30 PM
So whats an obituary? Is it like an article in an oldboys school newsletter about the person who has recently passed away? That sort of thing?

Yep, pretty much... and if you look in the West you see the obituaries for notable folks - usually a longish, biographical, article with a photo. Also, sometimes, Death Notices (generally noting details of the death, the funeral and extension of condolences) can extend out to Obituaries. Rider's piece is an obituary rather than a Death Notice...

Eulogies are verbal presentations (even if they are read it will be out loud), delivered at all sorts of occaisions. Usually they recount a persons qualities and exploits and may be heard at the likes of Testimonial Dinners for generally people still living, or at funerals for those who have died.

General usage of eulogy now implies a funeral oration for the deceased....

Rider
25-06-2009, 04:33 PM
perhaps "who" or "whom" rather the "that" :)

good point, thanks.

SzyCo
25-06-2009, 06:17 PM
This is what i am going to go with

''Stipo Sapina was our uncle that passed away on 20/6/09 at the age of 58. He was a character that was larger then life, a man that will always make you laugh. He was always armed with a smile on his face and a blissful personality that would brighten up the darkest days. Stipo has done so much for our family; he will be remembered warmheartedly and missed dearly.
Rest In Peace Tečo, Love Sasha & Dunja.''

It sounds good mate

Sumatie
25-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I think the opening sentence should be more like this and a small change to the second...just my thoughts. Good job on it though and sorry for you loss.

Stipo Sapina, our uncle, who passed away on 20/6/09 at the untimely age of 58, was a character that was larger than life. A man who always made us laugh. He was always armed with a smile on his face and a blissful personality that would brighten up the darkest days. Stipo has done so much for our family; he will be remembered warmheartedly and missed dearly.
Rest In Peace Tečo, Love Sasha & Dunja