PDA

View Full Version : DOG GONE IT!

Lush
27-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Ok - so I'm riding down South Street this arvo (beautiful sunny day, right?). I pull up at the traffic lights and bam! A ute pulls up right next to me in the right lane with 2 FRICKEN MONSTER Rottweilers in the back. :o
Now dogs at the best of times dont seem to like motorcyclists or their lids. But I can tell ya, these 2 black monsters from the deep ocean HATED me....
What do you do? Where do you go? Do I roll forward and hope that I dont get wiped out by traffic? Do I roll back and then reapproach on the far far left hand side as possible. :blink: But I cant re-approach, because there is now a queue behind me.
All I can say is thank F*** they were tied up. Man, my knees were shaking so hard I thought I was going to drop the goddam bike

Anyone else had a similar unfortunate stopping situation? :unsure:

TurboR1
27-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Shoulda done a monster burnout (allegedly) to smoke out the fur coated razorblades...

Scoundrel
27-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Let them bark, if by chance they were loose and they attacked you the owner would get so totally reamed by the Council or the cops he would be eating dog food for the rest of his life

But I know what you mean about having a dog suddenly go feral next to you...can be a bit unnerving.

And seeing as it was in a public place, they should have been muzzled? :mellow:

Pkunk
27-07-2005, 07:59 PM
as the owner of large dogs

just be calm and stay cool

and yeah take off through a red light if need be :)

burnoutnut
27-07-2005, 08:24 PM
yep this happened to me on the postie bike today in mindarie next to hjs

i tell ya what :mellow: those german sheppards dont like posties. i tell ya the thing almost ripped of the roof racks on the back of the ute trying to get to me :blink:

that was the longest 5 minutes of my life and i've got the skid marks to prove it :blink:

the guy in the passangers seat was telling me "its ok hes a friendly dog" ,BUT when the thing is snapping at you trying with drool hanging out of its mouth

you start thinking "will i ever get to ride the zed agian" :(

Infusi0n
27-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Defintely not a great time, but then i dont find many dogs scary when they bark at me telling me to get out of their face and off their patch, i hate the dogs which will run at you (ie: police dog style) that i find a little more intimidating.

Dejavu
28-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Yeah ive had fkn vicious dogs next to me at lights trying to bite my head off and yeah they do scare the shit out of u - but just remember - its totally the owners responsibilty to have them restrained and any damage done to u by them is the owners fault so dont be intimidated.
Dogs also seem to hate the postie bike alot more and i've had the things hangin off my legs trying to pull me off the bike - wif the owner saying its friendly and.. "oh it's neva done that b4". So now if i see a dog goin for me ill try and kick it wif steelcaps on doin 40k's or so. I call that protecting myself.
It reminds me of my 1st day of being trained as a postie in Darwin. A Staffy came bolting out towards us and I ran the fkr over doin 40 - without stacking it! needless to say it neva tried to do that again and the owner was supa pissed and had a go at me :lol:
The Law is on our side (for a change) and dogs have to be on a leash and under control while outside of the owners property.

rgvlee
28-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Buy some mace lush :)

dr00
28-07-2005, 09:14 AM
having a "scary" dog myself i would also say just ignore them. they will just go nuts all they like but if they were going to jump out or whatever its doubtful the owner would have them there. also if they do jump out you should have your gear on and it protects you well against dogs teeth, trust me :D also if the owner says it wont do anything you can usually believe them.

my dog is one of those fearless idiots that runs full pelt at someone, hits the anchors at the very last second and slides up to them scaring them to death and then sniffs them and wants a pat. he has never hurt anyone but himself (numerous times) but people never believe me that he is harmless. well... harmless unless you are a dog... his idea of fun is a brawl with another dog, the harder the better... obviously he is always walked on the lead.

xphread
28-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by dr00@Jul 28 2005, 09:14 AM
having a "scary" dog myself i would also say just ignore them. they will just go nuts all they like but if they were going to jump out or whatever its doubtful the owner would have them there. also if they do jump out you should have your gear on and it protects you well against dogs teeth, trust me :D also if the owner says it wont do anything you can usually believe them.

my dog is one of those fearless idiots that runs full pelt at someone, hits the anchors at the very last second and slides up to them scaring them to death and then sniffs them and wants a pat. he has never hurt anyone but himself (numerous times) but people never believe me that he is harmless. well... harmless unless you are a dog... his idea of fun is a brawl with another dog, the harder the better... obviously he is always walked on the lead.

143203Sorry... but even if its 1 in 100 times that the owner is wrong.... you are still probably gonna get bitten one day. (I used to be a postie too, so know about unleashed dogs well. :angry: )

Just because dogs "dont bite" doesnt mean they shouldnt be restrained in public.

Sorry, but your dog running up to someone in a hurry and stopping at the last second is like me producing a hand gun in a flash, holding it next to your head and saying... "its OK... its unloaded.......normally" <_<

Wulph
28-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Lush: you shoulda back-handed the mutt and made him taste carbon-fiber knuckle goodness. I&#39;m not sure if its true or not, but I thought the only thing monster dogs respond to is a bigger monster..

resist
28-07-2005, 10:22 AM
I am a door to door salesman. you dont wanna hear my dog stories!!! And dress pants are expensive to replace!

dr00
28-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by xphread@Jul 28 2005, 09:24 AM
Sorry... but even if its 1 in 100 times that the owner is wrong.... you are still probably gonna get bitten one day. (I used to be a postie too, so know about unleashed dogs well. :angry: )

Just because dogs "dont bite" doesnt mean they shouldnt be restrained in public.

Sorry, but your dog running up to someone in a hurry and stopping at the last second is like me producing a hand gun in a flash, holding it next to your head and saying... "its OK... its unloaded.......normally" <_<

i didnt say that every single person that says their dog is harmless is right. i just said people usually know their dogs well so usually they are right. even if someone does say that, youd be stupid to get on your knees with open arms and say "WELL COME HERE THEN LITTLE PUPPY WUPPY" to their pit bull. :P

i never said my dog running up to people was a good thing or that it was fine, i know it scares the living daylights out of people and thats why i dont let him off the leash if there is a possibility of people being around. on the odd occasions where it has happened for one reason or another i know that the only risk to them is a heart attack. he just loves people and the way he looks is a curse for him because people wont give him any attention!

the problem is that when he was a young puppy he would run around and run up to people and they would think he was a cute, lovely little puppy and give him a pat and play with him. he doesnt realise that he put on 20kg and developed a head like a mack truck. :rolleyes: :P

Lush
28-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Scoundrel@Jul 27 2005, 07:34 PM
Let them bark, if by chance they were loose and they attacked you the owner would get so totally reamed by the Council or the cops he would be eating dog food for the rest of his life

But by the time this happens, i would imagine your pretty rooted already and the idea is to NOT let it get that far :blink:

sarcasmatron
28-07-2005, 02:41 PM
I also hate cars that go past with crazy dogs barking out the windows...

w...wf...wf...wf..woof...woof...WOOF... WOOF... WOOOOF!!!!...WOOOOOF!!!!!.....WOOF...WOOF...woof.. .woof..wf...wf...wf...w...

horse
31-07-2005, 06:02 PM
didnt they make it illegal to have dogs in the back of utes now, restrained or not

i&#39;ve only had it once, yelled at the dog to shutup and it listened...the second time round, owner just sat there tryin to be invisible till the lights went green

letterman
15-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by horse@Jul 31 2005, 06:02 PM
didnt they make it illegal to have dogs in the back of utes now, restrained or not

they have to be tied up.

ive had my two plus a fellow psber&#39;s dog on my ute barking and wagging at a rider thinking it was the dogs owner ( poor girl is deaf) so i yelled at my dogs. (didnt stop the deaf one)

ChOOkiE
16-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I wouldn&#39;t be too worried.. as they have said.. owners responsibility and just remember you have a lot of padding on, leather, helmet and hopefully some nice kevlar gloves that if the dog does get loose, you can give the dog and his owner a nice "rest" with.

redxz
16-08-2005, 05:16 PM
but what about bike riders that terrorize the monster dogs??
Sunday arvo, our dogs - 1 mastiff, 1 rotty - looking out the rear window of the bronco - blue R1 pulls up behind us and starts making all kinds of noise at my woofas. To their credit, they just looked at him, wondering what the heck he was.

and Dro0, know what you mean, our rotty is a big sook too. He&#39;d more likely drown ya than bite anybody. His idea of play is a brawl too (comes from living with a mastiff I suppose). Doesn&#39;t bother me and doesn&#39;t bother our other dog but sure bothers the heck out of anyone that sees them playing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morgz
16-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by resist1@Jul 28 2005, 09:22 AM
I am a door to door salesman.

Say no more.... BRING OUT THE HOUNDS :lol: