PDA

View Full Version : Pinjar Road Closure

Ice
04-08-2005, 10:54 PM
The fatality (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/psb/index.php?showtopic=11741&hl=) this morning on Pinjar road prompted a bit of a change of heart for me. As you may or may not know, Pinjar Rd has been closed where it meets Neaves Rd forcing a detour via Joondalup Drive. I have always been against this. Back on the 4th of July a letter was sent from Wanneroo Council to all local residents/businesses to Pinjar Rd. It advised that the blocked section will become a cul de sac and that two more road closures and a redirection of Pinjar to meet Joondalup Drive are planned. (I always wondered why that roundabout on Joondi Drive was so damned big... I now know!) I have been dead against this plan as I use Pinjar on a daily basis. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the council aren't as stupid as I thought they were. I don't ride Pinjar at night as you can't see worth shit and there are always animals running out into the road. The road is narrow and not really of a high enough standard to be a major road in a rapidly growing suburb. The tragedy this morning has made me wonder if maybe the road has outlived its usefullness after all.

What do you guys think?

rz350
05-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Apart from making us get majorly lost when it first got closed off (I tried to find a way through the back streets to get on to Neaves Rd without much luck at all... 20 mins wasted), I'm all for it now. That said I hardly use the road anyway (only when going for a ride out that way or heading to Gero) so it doesnt affect me much.

jennaau
05-08-2005, 08:26 AM
i Used to use this road all the time when i lived in Chittering and Ice i totally agree with u (lol I know stand back in amazement! :P )

Both Pinjar and Neeves sucked at nite in a car let alone on a bike!

Potholed, badly lit and rural kangaroos playing hopscotch with cars, I
got done for speeding on it once 90 in a 70 and nearly ran the cop over, because they were hidden and then the next thing this yellow jacket jumps into the road!!!!!

the car in front did a swervy too so it wasnt just me who couldnt see,

Joondalup drive is much more pleasant to ride along and safer to i would imagine.

Daise
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by rz350@Aug 5 2005, 12:39 AM
Apart from making us get majorly lost when it first got closed off (

I remember driving to the track, getting EXTREMELY confused with the lack of signposting (pretty much "Pinjar Rd closed, have a nice day") and ending up at THE MAZE :blink:

I feel sorry for the suburbs that now have an increased volume of traffic, but i think all in all it's alot better (especially now they have signs up!)

Ice
05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by jennaau+Aug 5 2005, 08:26 AM-->
i Used to use this road all the time when i lived in Chittering and Ice i totally agree with u (lol I know stand back in amazement! :P )

[/b]

Jenna!!!!!! You're supposed to warn me! Give me a chance to sit down before you do something like AGREE with me!! Honestly!

Yeah added to the potholes, roos etc... Half the time its foggy too!

Ironically the only roo I've hit was actually on Joondi Dr a while back! Because they haven't got all the streetlights in yet there's a dark section. Came around the corner onto Joondi Dr and hit a dead roo. Who knew BabyBlades could fly?

<!--QuoteBegin-Daise@Aug 5 2005, 10:21 AM
I feel sorry for the suburbs that now have an increased volume of traffic, but i think all in all it&#39;s alot better (especially now they have signs up!)

It&#39;s pretty much only two streets that&#39;ve had increased traffic(one worse than the other) and now there are signs directing people away from there onto Joondi Dr. Also once the other road closures go in there&#39;ll be no traffic through there at all.

You&#39;re not the first person to miss the turn Daise. I think it needs a bigger sign off Neaves back onto Pinjar.

jennaau
05-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Ice@Aug 5 2005, 10:42 AM
Jenna!!!!!! You&#39;re supposed to warn me! Give me a chance to sit down before you do something like AGREE with me!! Honestly!

lol i knew u would be surprised! :P

rode over a dead roo, yuk that could have been messy

Daise
05-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jennaau@Aug 5 2005, 01:29 PM
lol i knew u would be surprised! :P

rode over a dead roo, yuk that could have been messy

a few years back me and a few friends on scooters were pulled over a few metres away from a HUGE dead roo.... i almost threw up from the smell...

9zero
06-08-2005, 07:23 AM
I used to live in Banksia Grove for about a year and a half, I used to work in Muchea and Two Rocks every now and again, I used to hate riding home (primarily because it was Banksia Grove) but the lighting on Pinjar Rd is shit. If they blocked off Neaves Rd from Pinjar how do you get onto Neaves at all? Joondalup and Neaves dont join do they, or has it been all connected up now, I remember we were waiting for Joondalup to go through to Pinjar Rd when we lived there, havent been back since I left and dont plan on it

Ice
06-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 9zero@Aug 6 2005, 07:23 AM
Joondalup and Neaves dont join do they, or has it been all connected up now, I remember we were waiting for Joondalup to go through to Pinjar Rd when we lived there, havent been back since I left and dont plan on it

Yeah Joondalup Drive has been extended to Neaves Rd now. But if Wanneroo Council could shake some change out of their pockets, though, some streetlighting would be handy! :rolleyes: :lol:

Gryphen
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Used to ride out that way to the RAAF Base, really was bad, especially since half the time I worked shift and used to be riding the Katana along there after midnight.

Used to always be some fool driver who would cu\t one of the corners and be surprised by the big shiny headlight.

Had a few close calls with roos etc (mainly early morning going in for dayshift) but have to admit compared to the truck drivers on Gnangara road, the roos were a lot smarter and safer.