http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/video_54_0.wmv

dyno run for a 1725WHP Viper

CB Boy
09-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Sweet........good find B)

xphread
09-08-2005, 10:15 PM
boring.... :rolleyes:

Is this another of those workshops than pump out big dyno charts and no usable functionality on the vehicle? :unsure:

Its impressive when its allowed to roam free with that power.
Thats what cars are for! :P

danoz
09-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Its nice but give me a dihatsu charade any day, the older the better! Now there is power!

Danoz
:)

dr00
10-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by xphread@Aug 9 2005, 10:15 PM
boring.... :rolleyes:

Is this another of those workshops than pump out big dyno charts and no usable functionality on the vehicle? :unsure:

Its impressive when its allowed to roam free with that power.
Thats what cars are for! :P

when you are making 2000hp thats a massive achievement in itself...

xphread
10-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by dr00@Aug 10 2005, 08:32 AM
when you are making 2000hp thats a massive achievement in itself...

146820So... remove the viper motor and wack in a 747 engine on a tall engine mounting.
Gives you a very impressive HP count, but *yawn*.

The Rolls Royce merlins/griffons used on the spitfires/mustangs etc had in excess of 2500 hp and that was 1946.
Some fool in the US mounted a merlin in a Ford mustang. ie mustang aircraft motor in a mustang car. I think he had problems with the torque twisting/snapping engine mountings and frames etc so it became a static display. :rolleyes: Wow. :mellow:

If the viper doesnt get driven and cant turn corners, then IMHO the engine might as well be mounted on a Tonka truck. :P :)

azathoth
10-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Only the americans could make an 8.3 litre V10 that only puts out 500bhp, 1750hp is closer to the real power it should be making!

pacman
10-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Nice

Infusi0n
10-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Nice dyno car, notice all the complainers are engineers *rolls eyes*

xphread
10-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Infusi0n@Aug 10 2005, 01:32 PM
Nice dyno car, notice all the complainers are engineers *rolls eyes*

146896Yeah, but the world would be stuffed if "us engineers" were happy to create computers that worked at 600GHz, but couldnt add numbers unless they were even ... and one of them had to be a 4. :rolleyes:

(or bridges that could hold 30000 tonnes but they had to have a heap of 4 metre expansion gaps in the middle. :P )

Going goey over dyno runs is like standing in the art gallery and going.... hmm yes.. magnificent use of colour! :P :lol:
Its a static peice of art... which if you like that kind of thing is fine, but thats not what I call a vehicle! :P

sathid
10-08-2005, 01:56 PM
might as well remove the chassis then...reduce the drivetrain losses. lol

Nigel
10-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by xphread@Aug 10 2005, 09:53 AM
Some fool in the US mounted a merlin in a Ford mustang. ie mustang aircraft motor in a mustang car.

That guy was actually an engineer who used to work for Rolls Royce, and he put the Merlin in a Rolls Royce. It was governed to a maximum speed of 290kp/h.

Rolls Royce later tried to sue him for defacing/mangling one of their cars.

By the way, there's a twin turbo 383 Commode in Perth which has been dynoed at somewhere around 1,600hp. I forget the actual figure, but it was over 1,500hp.

Scoundrel
10-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah. Wasnt it that Eddie Tassone guy?

I can see where xp is coming from though. Much ado is made over "dyno queens" that can make insane power on the dyno (and have to be dynoed in a cage sometimes), but arent used on the strip, or at least, the owners have never posted up 1/4 mile times.

Wise man once said..."when the flag drops, the bullsh*t stops!"

Then again, there is Rod Hadfield over east with his Rolls-Royce Merlin engined '55 Chev.. :o

dr00
11-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by xphread@Aug 10 2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, but the world would be stuffed if "us engineers" were happy to create computers that worked at 600GHz, but couldnt add numbers unless they were even ... and one of them had to be a 4. :rolleyes:

(or bridges that could hold 30000 tonnes but they had to have a heap of 4 metre expansion gaps in the middle. :P )

Going goey over dyno runs is like standing in the art gallery and going.... hmm yes.. magnificent use of colour! :P :lol:
Its a static peice of art... which if you like that kind of thing is fine, but thats not what I call a vehicle! :P

if the point was to create a computer that worked at 600ghz then it would be good, if it was to make a computer that could add numbers then it would be shit. this guy didnt (i assume, we havent seen any other info of it) build a track car, he wanted to try and make as much hp as he could from a particular engine in a particular car. its all well and good for you to say "yeah but its boring coz its crap on the track" but thats like saying an stock toyota echo is crap because its crap on the track... it depends on the purpose.

xphread
11-08-2005, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes: I think you missed my point... (only just though :) )

Originally posted by dr00+Aug 11 2005, 08:46 AM-->
if the point was to create a computer that worked at 600ghz then it would be good, if it was to make a computer that could add numbers then it would be shit.

147187[/b]The point of this analogy is that if a computer cant add numbers it has lost its MAJOR functionality and hence becomes useless. (trust me... almost everything in a computer relies on addition) So what if isolated bits of it can operate at 600GHz in limited conditions... what good is it? :P

Originally posted by dr00@Aug 11 2005, 08:46 AM
this guy didnt (i assume, we havent seen any other info of it) build a track car, he wanted to try and make as much hp as he could from a particular engine in a particular car.
147187Well then as I said before, it doesnt matter if its a dodge viper or a tonka truck... he has modded a (very large) engine to develop more horsepower. Great.... but if you cant use it I think you'd be better off going only half way with the motor and spending some of that money on a drivetrain / wheels / chasis etc that can mean you are not losing MAJOR functionality of the car.

<!--QuoteBegin-dr00@Aug 11 2005, 08:46 AM
but thats like saying an stock toyota echo is crap because its crap on the track... it depends on the purpose.

147187No. Its not like taking a stock echo and adding wings/spoilers etc and lowering by removing the wheels .... saying it was done to improve the aerodynamics.

Then standing back and saying the car is improved. :lol:

dr00
11-08-2005, 10:29 AM
well we will have to agree to disagree :P i think producing 2000hp from an engine in a drivable car is a pretty decent achievement. cars that i consider "dyno queens" are commodores that make 600rwhp but have stock susp, stock brakes, retread tyres and an owner who has barely lifted the bonnet to check the oil.

sathid
11-08-2005, 04:46 PM
The point of this analogy is that if a computer cant add numbers it has lost its MAJOR functionality and hence becomes useless. (trust me... almost everything in a computer relies on addition) So what if isolated bits of it can operate at 600GHz in limited conditions... what good is it?

so perhaps more to the point, a computer that does not compute, but that operates at 600ghz - doing what I might add...would therefore cease to e a computer....

so an automobile (self propelled vehicle) that cannot drive...would cease to be a car (automobile) and becomes an engine in a shell/power transfer device...

lol

Bulbous
11-08-2005, 04:54 PM
where in the video is there a car that is not able to be driven round? all i saw was a viper with the front bodywork off it so that it could do that stationary dyno run without cooking itself due to no airflow..... i didn&#39;t see anything that says it is only for static runs, that it doesn&#39;t go out driving and playing.......

number9
11-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Those aforementioned Rolls Royce engines are also considerably larger than a Viper&#39;s 8L.

dugy
11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Each to their own I guess.

But I wouldn&#39;t call a dyno queen car &#39;driveable&#39;.

How do you use all that power when it&#39;s over such a tiny rev range?
And if you can&#39;t get all that power to the ground......granny will drag you off in a pulsar.

Then again, if you can show that dyno chart to chick and it&#39;ll get ya laid, bonza...otherwise. meh.

;)

dr00
11-08-2005, 10:43 PM
ok, there was a guy trying to do over 300mph for the first time in a plane years ago. he did it in a plane that was completely hand polished and had special flat rivets. he had bugger all petrol in it for weight and as little instrumentation as possible. he did like 303mph on his second run or something and then promptly ran out of fuel and crashed the plane :P

the plane didnt carry people from one place to another or shoot other planes out of the sky, it did 300+mph, which hadnt been achieved at the time. that doesnt mean it was a piece of shit.

get what i mean yet? :mellow:

xphread
12-08-2005, 09:56 AM
But it did fly. ;)

:lol: :lol:

(And I agree Bulbous... we havent seen anything one way or the other if this Viper moves or not... so not knocking this particular car.... just not commending it much until I see it move. :rolleyes: )

Nigel
12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I understand dr00&#39;s point - that this may well have been done simply to get the most power possible out of this engine.

It&#39;s a kind of competition, similar to the guys in the US who have turned building big horsepower Hayabusa engines into an artform - they don&#39;t necessarily care whether the bike is rideable or not, they just want to see how much power they can get out of it.

This is also similar to cars built for stereo drags. What real-world use is there for a car stereo which is installed in a VW Golf (which is then filled with concrete) and is unable to play music (as such) but purely designed to play test tones as loudly as possible?

There is no reason other than to see how far you can push the limits.

...and can someone please tell me where in the world the laws of mathematics have ben so violated that 27 litres of supercharged V12 Merlin fury is greater than 8 (or 8.3) litres? :unsure: :P