PDA

View Full Version : Good places to stay in Thailand

Harro
29-11-2009, 09:38 PM
So I havent been to Phuket for a few years, some would say I no longer have my finger on the pulse in respect to the holiday scene, but its hard to stay top dog for long eh? :) A couple of mates and I are going in Feburary and are looking at options.

Is the Merlin still a good join to visit? Patong beach still a fun place? Looking for a place to stay thats not full on all the time (damn you aging liver!) but is still easy to get too and from to enjoy the party aspect of the place. I think I stayed in the Patong beach resort last time, the tall white building down the long driveway...That was good.

Let me know your favourite places in Phuket - the good, the bad and the ugly. :D

Sentry
29-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Patong was great. I haven't gotten around to posting up any pictures but had a lot of fun. The only downside is you can't buy fireworks in Patong, but I hear there's a street hawker on a bike that goes around selling them.

We stayed at the Burasari. Would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

Joker
29-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Gracelands resort and Spa.... you wont regret it dude ;)

Harro
29-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Ooh Resort and Spa - sounds good :) that in Patong too?

Not too worried about fireworks Sentry - plenty of paces to get them around the place...

mark00001
29-11-2009, 11:14 PM
also keen on hearing some more stuff about the place, want to go some day, never been before, but it wins hands down over bali just from the stories ive heard lol

one day i'll have a holiday..... one day.... :(

Harro
29-11-2009, 11:22 PM
also keen on hearing some more stuff about the place, want to go some day, never been before, but it wins hands down over bali just from the stories ive heard lol

one day i'll have a holiday..... one day.... :(

Feburary dude, feburary - come with us!

Joker
30-11-2009, 05:53 AM
yeah Gracelands is right on Patong Beach. not ridiculously expensive either, check the site for prices.

mystery
30-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Merlin Beach Resort - It is about a 10 minute (maybe not even that long) taxi ride out of the centre of Patong, and it's great. Not as loud or as full of bogans as some of the others, I went more for relaxing than partying so it was really nice. Good restaurants there too.

Merlin Beach Resort, Phuket, Thailand (http://www.phuket.com/merlinbeach/)
Phuket Hotel, Merlin Beach Resort, Phuket Thailand - Official Website (http://www.merlinphuket.com/merlinbeachresort/index.html)

Edit: the ocean view rooms are probably the best too, not right next to the pool.

scotch
30-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Is Phuket a must? I reckon it is so overcrowded there now. If your after the party seen and hookers and all night drinking then its the place to be but if you want to chill out but still want to get pissed every night then head to the islands. I prefer Ko Phangan's west coast as there is some really nice resort like places with great chilled out beaches and such. Can head to the south east of the island at Had Rin which is fairly busy every night of the week if you want to go a bit nuts. Or you can check out Koh Samui too, Similar to Ko Phangan but not as nice IMO. Chaweng on the north-east part of the island is very busy and has shit loads of stuff to do.
Also, it only costs about $100 to catch a flight to one of the island from Bangkok airport and takes about an hour.............Fucking wish i was going now!:D

Harro
30-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeh getting a bit older and wiser has me enjoying both the party scene, but also desiring to have a bit of wind down time too - im no longer 21 and keen to sink piss all night then march off to find some dirty hookers - been there done that. :)

Merlin Beach Resort sounds good - but I really like the idea of the islands, cheers Gers. Had Rin or Ko Phangan sounds like a good mix of rowdy drunken nights and relaxing pool days. If your that keen man, come with! :D The bigger the group the more the fun!

scotch
30-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Would love to mate but i got a little girl now so its not possible for a few more years. You will have a blast on the islands. If you get to Koh Samui then try out the Go Karting track, Its great fun. The missus was trying that hard to beat me she rolled the fucking thing at the hairpin. NO JOKE! Was one of the funniest and scariest things i have ever seen :lol:
Also seen a crazy Swedish bloke go way to fast on the last bend heading to the straight and crashed into the barriers, came out of the Kart (no seatbelts), hit the barrier himself, skid across the tarmac and then stand up afterwards. He was in pain with lots of cuts and black shit on his legs (that would end up getting scraped out at the hospital later) but he never made a sound as his daughter was crying her eyes out thinking her dad was dying that he just went and gave her a cuddle to calm her down. Good times man!:lol:

Misadventure
30-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Merlin Beach Resort - It is about a 10 minute (maybe not even that long) taxi ride out of the centre of Patong, and it's great. Not as loud or as full of bogans as some of the others, I went more for relaxing than partying so it was really nice. Good restaurants there too.

Merlin Beach Resort, Phuket, Thailand (http://www.phuket.com/merlinbeach/)
Phuket Hotel, Merlin Beach Resort, Phuket Thailand - Official Website (http://www.merlinphuket.com/merlinbeachresort/index.html)

Edit: the ocean view rooms are probably the best too, not right next to the pool.

I concur. Stayed there for 2 weeks and it rocked. Great pools, beach is a bit crap but there's a good one around the corner. Massages on the beach are excellent. It's out of the way but still close enough for a nite out. Have to check out Banglar Rd if you want a laugh! :)

Wouldn't suggest Koh Samui unless u like the smell of raw sewage. Have you looked at Phi Phi Island? It's where The Beach was filmed. A bit pricey but very nice, so I hear.

Barfridge
30-11-2009, 07:24 PM
anyone know any quiet, private places, with good food, spa and a private plunge pool outisde your room?

Murley
30-11-2009, 08:04 PM
anyone know any quiet, private places, with good food, spa and a private plunge pool outisde your room?

For this I really like Raillay and Tonsai Beach in the Krabi Region (West Coast). I always make a point to visit this area when I'm in Thailand, it's a magical place, it really is.

A short boat trip around the headland from Ao Nang beach to some of the most incredible beaches, people, atmosphere and jaw dropping scenery. Inaccessible by foot it's a mecca for backpackers, rock-climbers (due to the stunning cliffs which envelope the peninsula) and tourists who are in the know and like to get away from the throngs of regular tourists at the usual spots.

Ton Sai is the backpacker/hippy/rock-climber beach. Cops don't bother going there so there's heaps of ganja if you're into that kinda thing. There's no direct power to this beach, the bars along the beach run on generators and ice-boxes but they manage to pull off some awesome parties and the vibe is great, with people from all over the world convening at the numerous shack like bars. Accommodation is cheap here, from $5 a night if you really wanna rough it, up to about $70 a night for your classy bungalows. We spent 3 months living in a tent on the beach here and vaguely worked for a bar which looked after us and let us stay there for free.

Raillay is the more luxurious area with the better beaches (easily some of the most stunning in Thailand), they've got power and a ridiculously expensive resort but the other places are affordable and very nice. From here you get to laze around on the beach in the mill-pond like water (warm as a bath) and relax, but you can also go on a little adventure to the lookout and the lagoon, which is fairly hairy to get to (involves a decent scramble up the rocks and a steep descent) but is TOTALLY worth it.

Google up some videos on the place and there's a couple of pics here from our trip last Feb: Flickr: Paul William Murley's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmurley)

XSorXpire
30-11-2009, 09:09 PM
We stayed at the "Ban Thai" in June and it is awesome.
Nice pools, nice bars and great staff.
Three minute walk to Bangla Road and has a live band out thw front each night. (Not that they are loud enough to keep you up).

Stayed at the Patong beach garden resort in September. Don't bother with that one. Rooms were horrid, staff rude, pool ugly and just not worth the effort.

Posted via Mobile Device

Harro
30-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I concur. Stayed there for 2 weeks and it rocked. Great pools, beach is a bit crap but there's a good one around the corner. Massages on the beach are excellent. It's out of the way but still close enough for a nite out. Have to check out Banglar Rd if you want a laugh! :)

Wouldn't suggest Koh Samui unless u like the smell of raw sewage. Have you looked at Phi Phi Island? It's where The Beach was filmed. A bit pricey but very nice, so I hear.

Yeh I've stayed in Koh Samui before - I dont find it that offensive, but I kind of like the dirty, smelly, sweaty hot aspect of the place :) Goes well with drinking beer. Never knew you could stay on Phi Phi island - but i think it may be a little tame there - still want some wild nights :)

So your coming with then Barfy? :D

For this I really like Raillay and Tonsai Beach in the Krabi Region (West Coast). I always make a point to visit this area when I'm in Thailand, it's a magical place, it really is.

A short boat trip around the headland from Ao Nang beach to some of the most incredible beaches, people, atmosphere and jaw dropping scenery. Inaccessible by foot it's a mecca for backpackers, rock-climbers (due to the stunning cliffs which envelope the peninsula) and tourists who are in the know and like to get away from the throngs of regular tourists at the usual spots.

Ton Sai is the backpacker/hippy/rock-climber beach. Cops don't bother going there so there's heaps of ganja if you're into that kinda thing. There's no direct power to this beach, the bars along the beach run on generators and ice-boxes but they manage to pull off some awesome parties and the vibe is great, with people from all over the world convening at the numerous shack like bars. Accommodation is cheap here, from $5 a night if you really wanna rough it, up to about $70 a night for your classy bungalows. We spent 3 months living in a tent on the beach here and vaguely worked for a bar which looked after us and let us stay there for free.

Raillay is the more luxurious area with the better beaches (easily some of the most stunning in Thailand), they've got power and a ridiculously expensive resort but the other places are affordable and very nice. From here you get to laze around on the beach in the mill-pond like water (warm as a bath) and relax, but you can also go on a little adventure to the lookout and the lagoon, which is fairly hairy to get to (involves a decent scramble up the rocks and a steep descent) but is TOTALLY worth it.

Google up some videos on the place and there's a couple of pics here from our trip last Feb: Flickr: Paul William Murley's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmurley)

Cheers Murley, wow 3 months would be awesome, might look at doing that when I get long service leave :D - when I get home and dont have my internet monitored, I'll check the pics out.

Damn I wish I was going tomorrow!