Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sena SMH10 - Battery Replacement

I picked up a second hand SMH10 recently as I wanted another module as a backup on long rides but found the battery life wasn't too great either, similar to my older SMH10 sets.

New modules are ~$210! (Albeit, they would also have better hardware/range etc. but meh, I only use it for music anyway!)

Quick google search and I found out it uses a 602248 battery. Four batteries were $38US posted through eBay

The original battery is 560mAh and the replacement I found were 650mAh, so hopefully a bit more capacity too.
    You need to cut the connector off the old battery and attach it to the new battery, but it is very hard to solder those small wires.
    With a solder sleeve, it is a piece of cake though!!! (I used RS Components 180-8287, $9.25 for a pack of 10, inc. post!)

I did all three of my units and they all seem to charge up fine.

Will report back on how long the batteries last next time I go for a ride.
    Last edited by RA35GT; 15-10-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I'm a BOM rider, that is, I need to check the Bureau of Meteorology before riding!
    Likes Graelin, Tron, henrys, Speed Dealer, dwillia and 6 others liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great write up! will be handy in the future I'm sure!
    Likes RA35GT liked this post

Motorbike
    1988 Bandit GSF250, 2010 Z1000, 2014 Duke 390
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used mine almost literally every single day since buying it 2 ish years ago and I can tell the battery life is starting to dive.

In particular it's annoying that it still lasts hours, then you get the low battery warning, and it last maybe 15 seconds after that lol...

Great write up, it's good to know this great unit can keep going year on year because of this mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.

Motorbike
    2015 MV Agusta Brutale 800RR | 2009 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    I've used mine almost literally every single day since buying it 2 ish years ago and I can tell the battery life is starting to dive.

In particular it's annoying that it still lasts hours, then you get the low battery warning, and it last maybe 15 seconds after that lol...

Great write up, it's good to know this great unit can keep going year on year because of this mod.
    Same here mate, although I don't use mine as much as you, it is nearly three years old though and was only getting a few hours out of them.

Lol yeah, the low batt warning giving you only seconds was the most annoying thing!!

I'm giving one of them a workout today and I'll post up results later today.
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I'm a BOM rider, that is, I need to check the Bureau of Meteorology before riding!

Motorbike
    2006 GS500E, 2016 GSX-S1000 ABS
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely you can fit a 702248 in there? Or even take out some of the plastics at either end and fit a slightly longer one in? Pretty sure i've seen 702258's around? BTW the code is actually dimensions, being ThicknessxWidthxLength.

Motorbike
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
    Surely you can fit a 702248 in there? Or even take out some of the plastics at either end and fit a slightly longer one in? Pretty sure i've seen 702258's around? BTW the code is actually dimensions, being ThicknessxWidthxLength.
    Yeah you could mate.
    I was pretty happy with the battery life when it was new so I didn't look too hard for more capacity. I also was too lazy to modify the case heh. Any bigger size battery will need mods because the recess only just fits the original battery.

Likes m0n4g3 liked this post

Motorbike
    2006 GS500E, 2016 GSX-S1000 ABS
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good mate. Just letting people know that they don't necessarily HAVE to have that model battery. if they are willing to cut some of the legs/plastics off you could fit abit more batt in it.
    Likes RA35GT, robp69 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the first run has been awesome

Streamed music via bluetooth from around 9am to about 4pm pretty much continously. I forgot to turn it off and it's still on!

Hopefully this lasts another few years!

Motorbike
    motorbike.
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought and replaced one of my SMH-10D units with an ebay battery, but only paid ~$10 for it... (the unit's working just fine!).
    The original was all puffed up...not sure what the correct term is for it (de-gassed?).

Motorbike
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal0 View Post
    I bought and replaced one of my SMH-10D units with an ebay battery, but only paid ~$10 for it... (the unit's working just fine!).
    The original was all puffed up...not sure what the correct term is for it (de-gassed?).
    I wonder if they got their batteries from the same place Samsung did? heheh

On topic though, the new battery lasted for almost two days of riding! Loving them again!

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey RA35GT - I tried to PM you but you're full!

Might be a long shot as it's been like 18 or so months, but you mentioned in your write up where you changed the battery that you ordered 4, do you still have any of the others and if so would you be willing to part with one? would save me ordering from ebay, but no sweat if they're all gone/used/spoken for.

Cheers.
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    Hey RA35GT - I tried to PM you but you're full!

Might be a long shot as it's been like 18 or so months, but you mentioned in your write up where you changed the battery that you ordered 4, do you still have any of the others and if so would you be willing to part with one? would save me ordering from ebay, but no sweat if they're all gone/used/spoken for.

Cheers.
    Side note:

Last weekend I changed the batteries in my 2 old Sena SMH10's to give to a friend. Got the batteries for $10 each from eBay and the heat shrink solder sleeves (whatever they're called) from Jaycar.

Sat down with a beer and was done in 15 minutes. Used a mini blowtorch for a couple seconds to melt the solder, then shrank the rest of the tube with a cigarette lighter.

Worked like a charm. Thanks OP.

Solder Splice from Jaycar...can't remember the size I used but once you get the new battery take it into Jaycar and you'll see what size will fit the wires (they're tiny).

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-7mm-sold...-of-5/p/WH5670
    Likes frenchie liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my units definitely aging, probably between 4-5 yeas old now, finally ordered and recieved that upgrade battery (650 vs 560 mah) in the mail. So it was pretty stubborn to come apart, and when it did the connector on the pcb side broke a bit (its quite brittle in an older unit that has cooked and near frozen many hundreds of times), so I ended up completely removing it and doing a decent solder job of the new battery straight to the board and then insulated it. if in a few years I do the same again I'll need to make effort to open her up much more gently so I can cut the cables as close to the battery as I can and repeat.

So far so good tho! I was barely getting 30-40 mins out of her towards the end, so far I'd be only at around 1.5-2 hours ish use over 3 days, so I'm predicting if it lasts longer than when it was new, which it now should, I should be looking at going on a month between charges. Keen to report back when I do finally charge it.
    Last edited by frenchie; 18-07-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Likes Speed Dealer liked this post