Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NWTK Vans bike transporting types

Possibly in a year or so the car is about to wet itself now I must admit i've been a fan of the car trailer combo because if you get a van you have to drive a van all the time, most of the vans I've had anything to do with have had things like toyota hiace and budget or thrifty on them, while they are fine for a once a month trundle to the track or your fleet when you have other people driving them, I'd like something thats not going to have me ask WTF was I thinking when I got this thing.

I drove a Vito a long time ago and was impressed buy it not been generally shit to drive unlike pretty much any other van I'd driven to that point.

So I do lots of country driving so something thats only passable on the highway is not really a thing. Criteria will be most likely Diesel and manual, manual because when buying second hand if the auto hasn't been looked after its a time bomb. About Vito size maybe with the possibility of a passenger seat in the rear and can tow some windows would be good too.

Brief look around there are
    Merc Vito
    Reno Traffic
    VW Transporter
    Iveco Daily (although this might be stepping into a bit too big NFI if there is a smaller one)
    Citroen ???
    Hyundai I Load
    Fiat ?? well is this a mine field on which I carefully tread?
    Others
    So experiences thoughts what falls apart at what point? Sound deadening room for free candy signage etc etc. Or I should I just get a crummydore wagon with a towbar?
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Motorbike
    848,748r,900ssfe
    Liked
    950 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iload for the win .

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the iMax here at work which is the passenger version of the iLoad and it's OK, nothing outstanding but does the job we need it to and is good on fuel
    I personally wouldn't fancy doing lots of country driving in it but if you aren't a huge bloke them it may be OK
    It's an auto so quite sluggish if you want to get anywhere in a hurry but once up to highway spees does OK
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Cbr1100XX, Yamaharrrr R1
    Liked
    144 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vitos/Spritners - I like them, nice to drive, but by all accounts unreliable / expensive when (not if) they break. Recently avoided getting one for that reason personally
    I load - can't fault them, well built surprisingly good to drive, the turbo diesels have a bit of get up and go to them and generally drive nicely enough on their own. Timing belt an engine out job I'm told which is a pain but not really that big of a deal. Have rented a load of them and they'd probably be my next one if I get a van again..
    VW Transporter - personal fav, had circa 1998 one a while back and it was spot on - think the newer ones look the dogs bollocks.

I like the idea of a van over a car trailer because it gives the option of sleeping in the van (not that I never did) plus it constantly comes in handy even when not lugging bikes about. Now gone the ute/trailer route, its a good compromise and fun to drive without the trailer - but nowhere near as useful as a van

Liked
    64 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sprinters= $1000 per service and not reliable i have a transit 6 speed manual turbo /d. i did a trip to albany to pick up a bike and did it on one tank 70lt 900ks....and i could walk when i got home

Motorbike
    2 x R1's
    Liked
    646 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iLoad is pretty good. I use it for my daily as well as that bike transport (as you've seen).

If I was to buy a van again (possibly soon), I would be looking at the new line of Ford Custom's, or an iLoad again. I've looked at all the new "cheap" vans that have come out in the last few years, and for me they failed in the simple area's such as internal height, floor height, internal width, and even accesability.

Otherwise the Merc is a great van as well, but unless you get the top of the line one, it's pretty gutless.
    Sponsored by:

Aussiesportsbikegear.com.au, AARK Suspension & Tuning, YAMALUBE

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott52 isn't posting these days, but it wouldn't be too hard to find his phone number and give him a call. He had his Merc van fairly well figured out.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.