User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli 300cc BN302 - any advice?

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benelli 300cc BN302 - any advice?

Anyone had any experience with a Benelli 300cc BN302? The reviews seem quite good for beginner riders.

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made in China. Don't. Just don't.
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originated in Italy though Tom so not sure if that makes any difference. The reviews liken it to the Kawasaki Ninja.

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    designed in italy and made in china? jesus there's two massive hints right there!
    Likes Green Trident, DQ liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee3 View Post
    Originated in Italy though Tom so not sure if that makes any difference. The reviews liken it to the Kawasaki Ninja.
    Then buy a Kawasaki Ninja. What you'll find with Chinese bikes (and cars) is that they'll give you a lot of unnecessary headaches in the medium to long term. They might be fine for 6 months to a year, but then they'll need repairs for basic parts and problems that you won't encounter with Japanese bikes. On top of that, their resale value will be atrocious because of that reason.

When it comes to Chinese built bikes, despite being "designed" in Italy, just stay away. It's not worth the hassle of breakdowns and repairs only to save a grand or two.

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A review tell you how the bike runs/looks etc. It doesn't tell you that after 6 months your bike will start rusting, discs may be warped, seals might start falling apart, electrics will fail.

For instance, a year ago I purchased a china solenoid for my Suzuki...a friggin solenoid, how can they possibly get that wrong? well they did...the fucker stayed on when it shouldn't have. left me stranded.

Luckily an angel, (Wahoo) gave my stricken bike a tow home. Stupidly I persisted with it and it happened again. This time I had to push my bike home a few kays.

That's when the sledge hammer came out.

Brought a genuine Suzuki part, made in Thailand? and no problems since.

If the bike was made in China by a MAJOR manufacturer then maybe, but I wouldn't go near it especially as a second hand ninja will probably cost similar coin and be bullet proof. Also resale on a ninja will be better.

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm a little like an excited (albeit confused) kid in a candy store at the moment and am just navigating my way through all the different options, whilst trying to resist the magnetic pull to shiny colours. I'm quite liking the look of cruisers at the moment so might start in that direction for awhile until something else shiny catches my eye no doubt.

Thanks again ... this site is really helpful!
    Last edited by Dee3; 25-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone gets excited about their first bike.

Such emotion also means that too much money is spent.

The smart move is to spend $2000 on something common and easy to resell such as a Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Do your 12 months, and if you buy wisely then you'll get back what you paid for the bike.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.
    Likes Dee3, Gim, Benny D liked this post

Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Phildo said!
    But also, make sure you are comfortable riding the type of bike you buy, seeing as you are swapping between cruisers and sports style bikes.
    Swapped bikes with my brother during a ride. His was a Yamaha somethingorother 1200cc cruiser, mines a Ducati pani. Rode it for about 5km. Felt like a truck and handled like an elephant with tetanus.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr
    Likes Dee3 liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely won't be spending heaps on my first bike. I think the cruisers are just catching my eye because I like the higher handbars rather than having to bend forward over the petrol tank. I have really only ridden a Honda 125cc during my lessons and think I would be more comfortable sitting more upright like with those bikes. I love the look of the Ninjas but the handlebars do look really low. I'm heading to a dealership on Saturday to have a sit on a few and get my bearings.

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The little ninja's are quite deceptive if you're not use to looking at bikes. The handle bars are actually raised (so not clip-ons like you will find on most sport bikes) which gives it a fairly upright seating position. This of course does depend on your height, arm length, etc.

Most of the small capacity bikes (ninja 250/300, cbr 250/300, and so on) are in the same boat where they look very sporty but once you sit on it the position is much closer to that of a naked bike. To add to the mix you may also want to look at something like the Honda VTR250, nice and easy bike to ride, very forgiving, pretty bullet proof, and best of all quite cheap.

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee3 View Post
    I definitely won't be spending heaps on my first bike. I think the cruisers are just catching my eye because I like the higher handbars rather than having to bend forward over the petrol tank. I have really only ridden a Honda 125cc during my lessons and think I would be more comfortable sitting more upright like with those bikes. I love the look of the Ninjas but the handlebars do look really low. I'm heading to a dealership on Saturday to have a sit on a few and get my bearings.
    The ninja has got to be one of the easiest ‘jump on and ride’ bikes for LAMS. If you have never been on two wheels before, it gives you a great platform to learn and you won’t hit the bikes limit for a good while.

The position is actually quite upright as the bars not usual ‘clip-on’s’ (like you would see on the bigger bikes).

My 2c: don’t get anything less than 250cc you’ll be wanting more very quickly with a 250 as it is. As others have said as well. Stick with the bikes that are as popular as belly buttons (ie everyone has one) like a ninja 250/300 or the Honda cbr 250/300.

Not only will they be cheap, but they are bulletproof, and you can run them to the ragged edge, be almost neglectful in your maintenance and they’ll still start first go and keep asking for more.

Get a few more lessons and then try a few (I’m happy if you want try mine when u get a bit of confidence going if that will also help you)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ yup if someone of average height can ride a Ninja 250 with a straight back the bars are not low. As said, they are closer to a naked bike than they are a sports bike. The only LAMs "sportsbikes" with an actual sporty position like their bigger brothers is the Hyo IIRC. The bars on the , CBRs etc go upwards and then out, not straight out like true sportsbikes. They're more like a naked bike with fairings.

The bikes you are considering are very different (a naked bike, a faired bike and a cruiser) and you need to, at a minimum, sit on a variety of styles of bikes to see what you like. If you can ride them, even better.
    "This is great. Not only am I not learning, I'm forgetting stuff I used to know".

- Milhouse Van Houten

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rubin, i'll keep it in mind.

Kristy, it's obvious my head's all over the place with this isn't it but after my trial and error on Saturday, it'll be more focused!

Heaps of reasonably priced ninjas around so if I find the handlebars are higher than they look, that'll definitely be worth considering because they were the first bikes that caught my naive mind

Motorbike
    '14 MT-09 El Trippo, '09 R1 El Bango, '08 CBR1000RR El Tracko,
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively, if you're looking for European flair have a squizz at the Megelli

British company, Italian name, Chinese-built!
    Win-win

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

Motorbike
    Ducati 900 SS & 848 EVO & SC1000bp
    Liked
    158 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have a look for a cheap VTR250 great first bike and its a honda so ..... well reliable

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    Alternatively, if you're looking for European flair have a squizz at the Megelli

Win-win
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Dee3, Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DQ, aren't I meant to be staying away from the ones which are Chinese-built?

- - - Updated - - -

Whowalks, do you think the body of the VTR250 looks a little like a dirt-bike?

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post

Win-win
    Damn, I love a good dose of sarcasm.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't buy a new anything LAMS bike.
    My youngest bought a Ninja300 as his first road bike and burnt ~$2.5k on resale. Bike was flawless and v-low KM example at sale.

And what they all typed above... Chinese bikes are LoFi copies of copies.

S.
    Buy my KTM RC8. Stunning condition. Stock as a rock. https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=186147

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.