Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to: change riding style

So i'm heading to the track this month for the first time in a l-o-n-g time... here's the thing:

I've got a very upright riding style, and wish to learn the art of sliding a butt cheek off the seat and using some body weight over the side to save clearance/tyre... in a conventional modern style... but how to break the habit of a lifetime?
    I have tried to practice/mimiic this style on road rides a few times with guidance/laughter from riding mates, to no avail - i simply find it very very arkward, and end up feeling rather rattled and completely unsettled through corners.

Anyone made the transition and have a few tips for me? I'm VERY keen to hear from those of you that have been where i am and have transitioned to a smooth/fast modern style.

Is there a coach around that can assist me?
    Happy to pay for a coaching session or two (track), just not sure where/what the best forum is to undertake some lessons to transition... no free lunch and all that.

Keep in mind i'm attempting to break a riding habit that is decades, not a few months in the making... thanks for any assistance/advice!

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.
    Likes Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hint ... Can you counter steer ...at slow speeds..? IF answer is yes. process is the same.

Lock outer side leg to footpeg slide bum across seat ... look low over dash and tank... might help..?

Of just focus on the road rushing by as you are suspended in the air above it. :-)

honestly...... try the upright technique out first... on the track... Then think about how much metal is scraping / $? to replace scraped parts.. = motivation for change...
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Yamaha R1
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    westy74 may be able to help. I'm sure he'll be there for this session in July
    I've got the same issue with kinking my body but I've trying to work on it by using my GoPro footage.
    what also helped is having Marty MOOSE setting up my bike made a heap of difference.

Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Book a day at the track (RideDays www.mcrcwa.com.au)
    2. Talk to the coaches
    3. Listen to what they say
    4. Do what they say (this is the tricky bit)
    5. Don't expect to change over night
    6. Have fun (this is the easy bit)
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr
    Likes Aufitt, Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    2012 D675R,,,2010 HD FB Blart Blart
    Liked
    341 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread summary:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

ST.
    Last edited by SpeedTrip; 03-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muscles might need a bit of working out to loosen up? My muscles are much tighter on my right side than my left which affects my body position on right handers :/ If I had physio before a track day it seemed a bit better.

Motorbike
    Ducati 916 Bip
    Liked
    48 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took up track days, & then racing at almost 50 (after being away from bikes for 20 years) & had to do the same/similar thing .. tho I've always been a bit of a 'scratcher' on the road.

If you ride really upright you may find you ride with ya elbows locked, gotta keep the elbows bent; what bike are you riding? As soon as you bend the elbows the load is transferred to your core so it's more tiring to start with.

After working through my transition issues & my coaching observations once qualified & experienced enough I've concluded:

. make your bike as good as it can be for the track, this helps in the confidence dept, if you're not worrying about the bike more time to work on the riding
    - I always ran new tyres for every race day, mainly for this reason; the one day I didn't I binned my shit tho I also binned it by being a muppett
    - get tyres, brakes & suspension as good as they can be before going to the track, get them checked over, fettled, & set up for you by Marty Moose & get educated for free
    . the obsession with getting ones 'knee down' leads to no end of contortions on the bike, very few of which are constructive, avoid this if poss; getting ya knee down without sliders is bad juju for ya knee
    . the body follows the head not the other way around, so if the head is getting where it needs to the rest will tend to follow (in a general sense); if you work on getting your chin closer to your inside hand on a corner (both down & across) this is a good start, small steps helps in allowing the brain to adjust & not freeze or freak out
    . if you can get 'off' the bike you also need to be able to recover from this posiition, not always easy if not used to it; locking your leg into the bike as mentioned above helps this enormously & is an excellent technique for many reasons
    . even a few mm change in position will feel like a huge change & really weird, look forward to a lot of this feeling, it's normal for mere mortals
    . one of the best bits of advice I got from coaches when learning, & the hardest advice to follow, was to relax. If you're tense this transfers into the bike & stuff feels worse, at the very least don't have a death grip on the bars as most of the 'feel' you need comes through your hands & a tight grip limits this; just breathe, peeps can tend to hold their breath when in an unfamiliar environment & feeling threatened
    . try to build into a rhythm, this will help you to relax a little, when learning & lacking confidence sharp movements tend to unsettle stuff. As the speed ramps up stuff needs to happen more quickly but rarely sharply, techiques remain the same but performed more rapidly
    . a lot of this will come very slowly as you get more laps in but will require a concerted effort to practice
    . the coaches at the track are an excellent resource, use them, ask questions, work on one thing at a time with the coaches, they often have limited time per person so be sucinct when asking for help
    . if you have time do the Advanced Rider Training course at the RAC track first, a gentler introduction to better bike control & helps with ya road riding too (when was the last time you practiced an emergency stop while leant over!)

HTH
    .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Motorbike
    S1000RR, Daytona 675R, CRF450X, Nuda 900R, Street Triple 660
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    My muscles are much tighter on my right side than my left which affects my body position on right handers :/ If I had physio before a track day it seemed a bit better.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
    Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan
    Likes Gordy929, ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    GSX1400
    Liked
    746 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also helps to have some decent corner speed to get off. If your going to slow its very awkward to get into a decent body position as you are doing all the work to hold yourself there. The faster you go the more the G-Forces help you out and the easier it becomes.

Oh yea nothing about riding a bike fast is ever going to be easy but its so satisfying when you do have a good day.
    The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corona 221 View Post
    Also helps to have some decent corner speed to get off. If your going to slow its very awkward to get into a decent body position as you are doing all the work to hold yourself there. The faster you go the more the G-Forces help you out and the easier it becomes.

Oh yea nothing about riding a bike fast is ever going to be easy but its so satisfying when you do have a good day.
    Or manipulate that tired sad mechanism ...you call a body to do things that , in your minds eye , look easy to MOTOGP riders.

Front and rear slide while waiting to get tyres up to temp.....well.

In your mind you are already willing the bike to go faster.. lean harder,accelerate more quickly....then somebody cruises past you ..and waves... ;-)

G force AND gyro...in perfect harmony.....mmmmm sweet!!

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL @ Rob... old dog indeed!

Road bike is an RC8, been fettled by Suspension Swami MMoose (as have all my road bikes over recent years) so it's set up well and is a very sweet steering bike.
    I'll do the RACtrak day and see what feedback i get from that, then book a few more.

Are there any specific coaches that have been actively involved in developing riding style/body position with a long-time streetbike rider such as me?
    PM if preferred, again more than happy to pay for the assistance/feedback.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Motorbike
    GSX1400
    Liked
    746 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Trakdayz and MCRCWA Ridedays coaches will help out as much as you want. Depending who is running the RAC day they should be able to help out but they aren't out there on a bike with you to see what your really doing. Get to barbs with either Trakdayz or Ridedays and hit one of the coaches up to check exactly what you are doing. They might just as well follow you as anyone else and if you actually ask they will be happy to pick you.
    The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Motorbike
    YZFR1
    Liked
    817 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best advice I believe is to lead with your head and shoulders trying to get your head over the inside hand grip , once you're comfortable with this continue to align your spine parallel to the bike with you're head still over the inside grip. At this point you should be 1/2 to 1 cheek on the seat As you go faster it feels more natural. Keep the balls of your feet on the legs and put weight on the inside peg during cornering .

these are just the basics and I'd needs to follow you around to refine it for you.
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"
    Likes BikeONE, Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arwon View Post
    The best advice I believe is to lead with your head and shoulders trying to get your head over the inside hand grip , once you're comfortable with this continue to align your spine parallel to the bike with you're head still over the inside grip. At this point you should be 1/2 to 1 cheek on the seat As you go faster it feels more natural. Keep the balls of your feet on the legs and put weight on the inside peg during cornering .

these are just the basics and I'd needs to follow you around to refine it for you.
    Done deal... I wanna see the video improvement.....

Arwon... do me a huge fav......rebound...and tyre pressures first.. then follow...eh?

lowside fukup...will ruin that day...;-)

"Legs is .......pegs.. eh..?"

How do you brake n change gear???? boot heels ..( the bit 'tween the heel and the foot print..)on pegs!!!!...

mid foot near where tread is on boot.....all the same to you..? Setup levers n brake....g/change to suit..(good luck..)

Motorbike
    YZFR1
    Liked
    817 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those gems change with speed and technique. So changes come with feedback

as for bike maintenance I expect people wanting to ride better should attend to their own bike first
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Motorbike
    Motorcycling is dangerous
    Liked
    1557 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all starts with foot positioning.
    Balls of your feet,
    Limber up, stretch, Breath, relax, meditate.
    Mount like a jockey,
    Be a Ballerina,
    Look through the turn.
    Lead with your visor,
    Bite the bar und.
    Egg shell palms (if youd crack an egg between the glove and grip, you'te holding on way too tight.)
    Upper body must be fluid and flowing.
    pretend the bike doesn't have a seat
    Get stomp grip.

Do 'Try' too hard to get the bum off or you'll do the Doohan twist.

Do eleventy billion Group 2&3 trakdayz and Ridedayz.
    Work with coaches like Zimmer from Trakdayz and Arwon from Ridedays.
    Watch Arwons style on track, he's big, looks aggressive but he's just shifting upper body weight.

Do the static exercises before getting on a bike,

*Disclaimer, listen to the coaches on the day,
    Coaches rarely these threads
    you might have something obvious they can address.
    Road riding teaches nothing but bad habits without training.

Ive done 40+ days working hard on BP first and foremost,
    its only been recently with customising bike that gels with me that its paid off.
    Last edited by Aufitt; 04-07-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    Likes BikeONE, Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
    It all starts with foot positioning.
    Breath, relax, meditate.
    Be a Ballerina,
    Look through the turn.
    Lead with your visor,
    Bite the bar und.
    Egg shell palms (if youd crack an egg between the glove and grip, you'te holding on way too tight.)
    Upper body must be fluid and flowing.
    pretend the bike doesn't have a seat
    Get stomp grip.

Do 'Try' too hard to get the bum off or you'll do the Doohan twist.

Do eleventy billion Group 2&3 trakdayz and Ridedayz.
    Work with coaches like Zimmer from Trakdayz and Arwon from Ridedays.
    Watch Arwons style, he's big, looks aggressive but he's just shifting upper body weight.

*Disclaimer, listen to the coaches on the day,
    Coaches rarely these threads
    you might have something obvious they can address.
    Road riding teaches nothing but bad habits without training.

Ive done 40-50 days working hard on BP first and foremost, its only been the last two and a change of bike that fits me that its paid off.
    You forgot to mention weighting the pillion peg.

It's the only way to avoid arguments over inside or outside.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Motorbike
    A fast one.
    Liked
    3461 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accept that you will be uncomfortable.
    Accept you may be able to be faster in your usual ways.

Spend your efforts thinking about your body postion and not your pace.

Aaaaaaand, relax.
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.
    Likes Aufitt liked this post

Liked
    351 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relaxing and becoming comfortable are the most important things. Body position transition from upright (road) to crouched (race) will feel alien but should not feel uncomfortable. Bikes have specific designs to help you fit where you need to be such as the cut outs in the tank. Grip with your knees and relax your upper body.
    The pics of Dillan above are a very good guide.
    RR VRT #100
    Sponsors Wanted.
    Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
    A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:
    Likes Aufitt liked this post

Motorbike
    Battered 2006 R6
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious to know exactly how much weight the track/racer guys are putting on the seat in say the longer corners at barbs (left hander and basin)? for example is it 'always' x% weight on inside peg, x% tank, x% seat.. if that makes sense?