0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS Tracking

Mods - bin this if it's out of line.

I should probably re-introduce myself. It has been a long time since I was a part of the motorcycle community due to kids and handbrakes. I'm mostly over on car forums these days. I'm Mark.

A while ago on a car forum I was on, there was a bit of interest in GPS tracking of vehicles. I mentioned my experience in running servers for tracking for my business and knowledge on devices. It was arranged that a group buy should occur and I was tasked with running the tracking server for the forum. I'm happy to provide additional information on who I am if people are concerned that I'm a master criminal in disguise.

I duly set up a server, and brought in the 143 odd trackers that were ordered in the first batch (and 90 odd in the second).

I was recently contacted by a few members from an east coast motorcycle forum about devices for their motorcycles as theft is a big problem in Sydney. They're currently organizing a group buy to go onto the pre-existing server.

As server costs are pretty much covered by my business - I was wondering if people were interested in GPS devices for their bikes/other purposes in Western Australia?

I'll happily tell everyone how to set things up so that the ongoing costs are around $10-15 per annum.

Let me know if this is something that might be of interest to people here, otherwise I'll silently disappear and leave you guys in peace.

Mark

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mark,

I have some opinions on the worth of GPS that I'd like to share and hear your take on.

If I have an easily replaceable car or bike comprehensively insured for its full value, why would I want a GPS tracker?

• Repairs take longer than a payout would.
    • My safety and wellbeing are more valuable than the excess for the insurance.
    • Does the GPS not just benefit the insurance company? They can recover the vehicle quickly - but not quickly enough to prevent it being fucked with in a million ways I don't know. Then their policy wording means I have to take the vehicle back when I don't want it. Do I want the stress of having to argue what damage was already there? How much wear was on the tyres they've fried while on the brakes and warping discs and glazing pads, etc.
    • If I wanted a device fitted to my bike so that I could say "if someone steals my bike I'll find them and bash the bastards" then would a Google Tile not give me the same ability to be a keyboard hero at a fraction of the price?

Obviously this sentiment doesn't apply to someone not responsible enough to insure their bike. Those people kinda deserve stress, not that I don't wish them well.

Absolutely I would want GPS on bikes that would be impossible to easily replace. If someone steals one of mine I'll find them and bash the bastards.

Your thoughts?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speed Master, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think some times a motorcycle is not replaceable, i had a 2008 YZ250 from new had my blood sweat & tears in it. set up just that way i wanted it with years of fine tuning

sure i got 10k insurance for it when it got stolen but it was like loosing one of my children, it still cuts me deep to this day. i felt cheated on even even tho it was just a machine how dare it start for anyone else, i would of loved to have some kind of GPS tracker
    "Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    gpx250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Hey Mark,

I have some opinions on the worth of GPS that I'd like to share and hear your take on.

If I have an easily replaceable car or bike comprehensively insured for its full value, why would I want a GPS tracker?

• Repairs take longer than a payout would.
    • My safety and wellbeing are more valuable than the excess for the insurance.
    • Does the GPS not just benefit the insurance company? They can recover the vehicle quickly - but not quickly enough to prevent it being fucked with in a million ways I don't know. Then their policy wording means I have to take the vehicle back when I don't want it. Do I want the stress of having to argue what damage was already there? How much wear was on the tyres they've fried while on the brakes and warping discs and glazing pads, etc.
    • If I wanted a device fitted to my bike so that I could say "if someone steals my bike I'll find them and bash the bastards" then would a Google Tile not give me the same ability to be a keyboard hero at a fraction of the price?

Obviously this sentiment doesn't apply to someone not responsible enough to insure their bike. Those people kinda deserve stress, not that I don't wish them well.

Absolutely I would want GPS on bikes that would be impossible to easily replace. If someone steals one of mine I'll find them and bash the bastards.

Your thoughts?
    Being honest - I can't answer your questions as comprehensively as you'd like.

That being said: the experience from the guys in Sydney was that their bikes were seldom stolen and abused in the way you would anticipate. Most were stolen and promptly loaded into a truck to be taken to the western suburbs for parting out/exporting, and the goal was to recover the bike before this had happened to it. I don't doubt a significant amount of bike theft in WA is to fill the demand for parts for repairing damaged bikes of less scrupulous people.

In Sydney as well, there had been a few major breakthroughs from bikes with trackers being stolen (though the cost to the owners was pretty high for the ongoing service), as the locations where the bikes were going to was identified and raided - about 20 odd bikes were recovered, practically unmolested.

Other examples include, as you mentioned, thefts of uninsured race bikes from locked garages etc (one guy lost 4 one night).

Finally ... well ... it may give you a reasonable judgement about how to approach your insurer in the event of a recovered bike.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely interested in GPS tracking. Most of the bikes I buy aren't easily replaceable, and like Hillz I put a lot of time into my machines to make them set up for me. I lost a bike very dear to me last year, and although it was insured I would've preferred to recover and repair it. What would a set up likely cost ?
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    gpx250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Definitely interested in GPS tracking. Most of the bikes I buy aren't easily replaceable, and like Hillz I put a lot of time into my machines to make them set up for me. I lost a bike very dear to me last year, and although it was insured I would've preferred to recover and repair it. What would a set up likely cost ?
    $65 a piece pickup (Ardross) or $70 mailed

You'd need to supply a sim - either Amaysim ($10, optus network), or Aldi prepaid ($15 telstra network) will give you a year of tracking data.

For more advanced trickery (things like advanced SMS services and secondary analysis) there is an ongoing cost, but most people require nothing more than basic tracking.

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely I would want GPS on bikes that would be impossible to easily replace.
    Hillz Ryanoceros you guys sure write a lot of words to agree with me...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    and like Hillz I put a lot of time into my machines to make them set up for me.
    Not like my off-the-shelf ones then?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hillz Ryanoceros you guys sure write a lot of words to agree with me...

- - - Updated - - -

Not like my off-the-shelf ones then?
    I wasn't disagreeing homie, I don't often agree with Hillz so I thought I'd highlight when I do. I wont be getting trackers for everything as I most likely wont be able to afford it
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say if you own a Triumph 675..some sort of tracking devo is a must....there is a business out there making a fkn living dealing in these..just sayin'.....
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insurance never covers the true cost of the loss. I've had a fair few bikes stolen over the years and as has already been said each one is like letting someone smash your testicles with a hammer, I would love to have an address to go and find my stuff, might even get to "talk" to the low life shit that borrowed it.

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    Insurance never covers the true cost of the loss. I've had a fair few bikes stolen over the years and as has already been said each one is like letting someone smash your testicles with a hammer, I would love to have an address to go and find my stuff, might even get to "talk" to the low life shit that borrowed it.
    ''talk''

like Bruce Banner.....maybe?

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so they understand my disappointment

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    Just so they understand my disappointment
    Best to make it very clear I'd guess.... seems fair.

Back on track err... ;-)

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A story I heard via secondhand info this week:

A taxi was impounded early this week for exceeded the speed limit by more than 45km/h. Something like 133 in a 70 zone.

I heard about this the next day and passed along to the owner to a) contact Swan Taxis and get the GPS tracking data (ie the cars are pinged every 30 seconds), and b) get the camera footage downloaded (which also records the speed and location).

Despite an initial explanation to police that a mistake had been made, they were adamant that their systems are foolproof, their staff fully trained, etc.

I heard today that the taxi was quietly released three days later, once police were supplied the GPS data.

No apology, no explanation, nothing.

The car was impounded not far from Jandakot airport, leading to speculation that the cop might have accidentally got the speed from a landing small aircraft instead of the bike.

The owner is still out of pocket for towing fees and loss of income.
    ----------------------------
    Back in the 90s I got a speeding ticket on the freeway for doing 150. The cops were very definite about my speed.

The bike was a Yamaha DT200R - a small, 200cc trail bike. With my rather large size, and a girl on the back. Tapped out on full throttle the speedo was indicating 120, so allowing for error it was probably closer to 110.

Because I was on 11 demerit points any ticket was going to result in suspension anyway, so after a phone call to a senior cop the ticket was replaced with a lesser one (ie financially cheaper).

If that was to happen again now then I would have been arrested at the scene and the bike impounded for 28 days. Despite the bike clearly not even being capable of doing the alleged speed (I wish).

So, I'm also a tad curious if GPS tracking would also be useful for disputing the occasional speeding ticket.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    '13 YZF-R1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keen.
    '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phildo how long do you reckon until the Police are able to use the GPS tracking information on bikes to convict people of speeding offences and more serious charges? And for insurance companies to alter your premiums in line with how safely they rate your driving based upon the same information?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phildo how long do you reckon until the Police are able to use the GPS tracking information on bikes to convict people of speeding offences and more serious charges? And for insurance companies to alter your premiums in line with how safely they rate your driving based upon the same information?
    That's the critical part - control of the data.

Controlling GPS data is easy enough - it will require a password to log in to the server.

Naturally, you would hide and disguise it on the bike as much as possible.

You wouldn't have "ABC GPS Co" branding all over it, you'd have "XYZ Performance Tuner", or something like that.

Make the police (and thieves) think that it's just a normal part of the bike.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to put a dashcam in my car, but the same concerns apply.

I would need to have a dashcam setup where only I can access the data.

That's one that I haven't figured out yet.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speed Master, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Back in the 90s I got a speeding ticket on the freeway for doing 150. The cops were very definite about my speed.

The bike was a Yamaha DT200R - a small, 200cc trail bike. With my rather large size, and a girl on the back. Tapped out on full throttle the speedo was indicating 120, so allowing for error it was probably closer to 110.

i tried telling the cops a similar story when i was booked at 35 over on a double demerits day on the doctor snooze, sure i was going 115km in a 80zone (speedo said over 120 lol) but weaving in out and splitting traffic, how can they say with 100% belief they had me with so many variables

and all new bikes having GPS data available to police when requested will be standard, like headlights that never turnoff. it will be illegal to sell in Australia with out it and old pre gps bikes will be worth a fortune lol
    "Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you mean how long before Government dictate to car manufacturers that they must have GPS tracking as a "Theft Prevention" option just like immobilisers...

Then force you to retro fit to older vehicles, just like immobilisers...

Then legislate that they need access to GPS Tracking to catch car thieves/general criminals...

From there it's all down hill...

Motorbike
    KTM 390 Duke | KTM 250 EXC-F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly OT but it scares the shit out of me that they can use a relatives DNA to track me down and I'm not even a serial killer.