User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car port the cheap and dirty way?

Motorbike
    KTM 990 Super Duke
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Car port the cheap and dirty way?

Hi,

I'm planning to build a car port at my place by myself. DIY. Now I know I should get a design and council approval but I'm thinking about skipping these formalities and purely trust my workmanship and luck. I know a lot of people build structures on their land without any council approval. Anyone here with experience and some good advice? Anyone ever fined by the council?
    I don't know where to get an approved design from for my car port which I could send to the council. How much do I really save doing it cheap and dirty?

Cheers,
    G.

Motorbike
    848,748r,900ssfe
    Liked
    950 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol Don't plan on selling your home after your done , Go to the local council planning department and ask what they want some are quite easy to deal with
    I wont be back regards james.
    Tim please close this llbuono account.

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often you can have small structures with no planning approval...

Where I am you can put up a 3Mx3M shed with no approval...

Motorbike
    -
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes one person in your street to complain to the council that it's ugly and they'll tell you to tear it down if you didn't get it approved.

Council approval is easy, although YMMV depending on the council. Last approval I got was for a shed and the plan was very basic with a few measurements. The place I bought it from helped out as well.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like it's going to end well!

In!

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The council approval/design rules arenít usually that complicated. Removal and rebuilding is both complicated and costly. Unless itís round the back and can be considered temoporary I wouldnít do it.

My council arenít bad to deal with on the front end if youíre doing the right thing but turn into cunts on the enforcement side.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.

Motorbike
    stealth busa
    Liked
    343 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you've got the materials laying around already ,a kit from whoever with engineering drawings will probably work out the same if not cheaper
    Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.
    Likes keys, Heretic liked this post

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyelse View Post
    Unless you've got the materials laying around already ,a kit from whoever with engineering drawings will probably work out the same if not cheaper
    Yep i think so, had one done years ago.

If you do get a quote to fit it make sure you establish upfront that even though you told them 20 times the dog wont bite but dont leave both front and back garage doors open unattended or the golden retriever will wander off that he will.

Then say when it does wander off tell them its fine because he will probably come back because hes a retriever and they generally do so not to down tools and go looking for it before finishing so forgetting to put a tile back onto the roof before a major downfall.

That avoids your downlights becoming some sort of magical halogen waterfall onto the kids toys below and you breaking into a stream of sailor quality cursing while talking to your boss in Sydney on tthe phone.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Likes Water pig, Geeman liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM 990 Super Duke
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, will go the "correct" way then. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Likes keys, Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Yep i think so, had one done years ago.

If you do get a quote to fit it make sure you establish upfront that even though you told them 20 times the dog wont bite but dont leave both front and back garage doors open unattended or the golden retriever will wander off that he will.

Then say when it does wander off tell them its fine because he will probably come back because hes a retriever and they generally do so not to down tools and go looking for it before finishing so forgetting to put a tile back onto the roof before a major downfall.

That avoids your downlights becoming some sort of magical halogen waterfall onto the kids toys below and you breaking into a stream of sailor quality cursing while talking to your boss in Sydney on tthe phone.
    Is there a little bit of a lived experience there?

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    Is there a little bit of a lived experience there?
    Sadly so.

The dog always came back. This one time, the 4 year old tied him to an alfresco chair, one of those alluminium ones in a thunder storm and he took fright and jumped the slightly lower front side temp fence with the chair dragging belong behind, he ran off down the road with the chair, came back two days later without it.

Naturally the wife was fuckin devistated, it was only a six chair set and if people came over we had to get a chair from inside.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Likes keys, Gim, Stu, Para045, ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    Lol Don't plan on selling your home after your done , Go to the local council planning department and ask what they want some are quite easy to deal with

I have yet to come across a single council who are easy to deal with and helpful...all of them are peopled by little Nazi cunts who like nothing better than practicing bully tactics and being massivly anal about the least thing. IMO, and many others they have become way over powerful and need to have their wings clipped.....nothing would give me greater pleasure than to kneecap some of the officous, overbearing little wankers we have had to deal with.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes ritza, nos liked this post

Motorbike
    848,748r,900ssfe
    Liked
    950 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    [/B]

I have yet to come across a single council who are easy to deal with and helpful...all of them are peopled by little Nazi cunts who like nothing better than practicing bully tactics and being massivly anal about the least thing. IMO, and many others they have become way over powerful and need to have their wings clipped.....nothing would give me greater pleasure than to kneecap some of the officous, overbearing little wankers we have had to deal with.
    The trick is go in acting dumb as you will more than likely be helped , Turn up looking to clip there wings good luck with that they are just people after all ........
    I wont be back regards james.
    Tim please close this llbuono account.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [/B]

Ever wondered if it might be you?

Our council pays for updated aerial photos of the Shire. Any structures, pools etc that weren't there six months ago are investigated.

They have been doing this for at least eight years.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a single carport attached to my shed at the back of property, unbolted it and installed onto the house has been done properly and haven't had any issues with the council.

110% this highly paid sponges
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The building inspector that we dealt with a few years ago was a nasty little Hitler who's sole aim seemed to be as difficut as possible...his attitude was any tiny faut was enough to cause concern. Not only was he like this, he was unhelpful and unintrested in regards to a replacement fence....I had to suggest we install it on our property which he begrudgedly agreed was acceptable. This was despite us being polite and courtious, something we always do when dealing with these people. It is simple, he was a total fucking cunt for no other reason than he could be.

Fast forward to today and the same council is as anal as that little fuck was. They have tried to impose restrictions on us that the council haven't even adopted yet and are still open to public comment. When queried at a council meeting they reluctantly agreed to recind these...six weeks ago and still nothing!

We have had several visits to the council and other than one person the rest were unhelpful and seem to have a reluctance to offer any alternatives, or indeed any interest to what you are proposing. I have yet to come away from this council feeling helped...other than the time I paid my dog registration.

And as for council paying for anything it is our rates that pay for everything we get...I might point out that these are calculated from projected rental income you would be able to get from your house. Since these have dropped dramatically the councils...all of them....decided to change the percentage to make up for the shortfall....instead of tighteing their belts they expect everyone else to tighten theirs.

The list of rorts council's take for granted is staggering, the best was Bassendean councillors going on a ratepayers funded trip to Venice...they wanted to see how they collected the rubbish...the Mayor at the time was found at a local hairdresser getting her hair done...probably wanted to look her best for the Venution muck collectors. and lets not forget Scaffidi...how she managed to avoid prison beggers belief

So forgive me for not shedding a tear for most if not all of these leeches.
    Last edited by BusaSteve; 01-06-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Likes Para045, Phildo, marras liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which shire are you in? We are in the City of Swan and with all my alterations to our property, shed and pool, they were very helpful. I went in there first to get all the info, and as keys said, asked lots of questions, most of which I already knew the answers for. It's like everything, pass the attitude test and you'll be fine.
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au
    Likes Mr Bean liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Which shire are you in? We are in the City of Swan and with all my alterations to our property, shed and pool, they were very helpful. I went in there first to get all the info, and as keys said, asked lots of questions, most of which I already knew the answers for. It's like everything, pass the attitude test and you'll be fine.
    It's a bit like the DOT, you get a different story depending on who you see Years ago I wanted a large garage/shed at the rear of the house and every time I went into the council offices I got a different story on size/position to fence etc and eventually saw one of the planners or whatever they were called out the back not some dipshit at the front desk and they turned around and said I can't build it
    Went through a mate at the time who's family had a roof plumbing Co and had it done within weeks
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes BusaSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was putting up a 6x3 shed. Spoke to Council, dude legit said I wouldn't bother with Council approval - just do it... so I did. Still awaiting a knock on the door from Council 8 years later. It'll probably come one day and with google earth etc now, prob would have/should have sought approval. I think the plans show a shed in a different place (albeit smaller) that wasn't there when I bought the house so that may work in my favour.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    It's a bit like the DOT, you get a different story depending on who you see Years ago I wanted a large garage/shed at the rear of the house and every time I went into the council offices I got a different story on size/position to fence etc and eventually saw one of the planners or whatever they were called out the back not some dipshit at the front desk and they turned around and said I can't build it
    Went through a mate at the time who's family had a roof plumbing Co and had it done within weeks
    This..you get so many different stories and then find out one person says you cant do it....thats what we get from 90% of the council people we deal with all they can tell you is what you cant do. As for which council we are in.... Bayswater. I have dealt with Wanneroot and Belmont over the years and have had very similar experiences no matter the attitude we adopted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Was putting up a 6x3 shed. Spoke to Council, dude legit said I wouldn't bother with Council approval - just do it... so I did. Still awaiting a knock on the door from Council 8 years later. It'll probably come one day and with google earth etc now, prob would have/should have sought approval. I think the plans show a shed in a different place (albeit smaller) that wasn't there when I bought the house so that may work in my favour.
    Paint the roof green they'll think its grass