User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Are LED headlights ADR compliant?

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS, SV1000S, GSX750F, XR650L, XR650R
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are LED headlights ADR compliant?

I want to get this XR650 registered that I've just bought. The standard headlight is pretty pissweak, but doesn't work on low beam, so I need to do something to it anyway.

An obvious option is an LED headlight like this. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x6-Moto...HLjX:rk:2:pf:0

Does anyone have any experience with putting bikes over the pits with these? What's got me worried is that the inspector might notice that it's non-standard and make me replace it with the standard unit.

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fix it and take it over with a standard unit and replace it afterwards.

Only thing worse than dealing with a cop that is clueless about what is legal or not is dealing with someone that failed to be a cop and isn't clueless about what is legal and isn't.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Are LED headlights ADR compliant?
    Simple answer is NO unless the vehicle came with them as standard or as an optional extra
    Saying that retrofitting of LED and HID's is quite common and unless they are badly fitted/not adjusted well or you choose some stupid bright blue/purple then they shouldn't be an issue

I've been running 35w HID's in my Bird for over 10 years and never had an issue with them sine the initial fitting where I had to adjust them down due to being too bright for oncoming traffic even during the day
    I'm currently doing some work on he BB and going to fit a 55w HID to the high beam for even more eyeball melting goodness to pick out those pesky roos on my rides to and from work

I'm also looking at fitting some LED's to the HB's in my Falcon for the same reason

Do as Turbs said and fit a std bulb for the pits and then retrofit an LED later Even if you fit up a LED now, make sure it works and just remove it and fit a std globe for the pits and then refit it later
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    kawasakiz750
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Fix it and take it over with a standard unit and replace it afterwards.

Only thing worse than dealing with a cop that is clueless about what is legal or not is dealing with someone that failed to be a cop and isn't clueless about what is legal and isn't.
    agree with 100% what you just said mate,, ,,it depends on the person doing the inspections.

and to "chuck steak"- mate ,just call them and ask them before you head out for an inspection . headlights and indicators aren't that big of a problem but they can be if someone's too anal with the rule book..ha ha.. btw bloke at brooklands in wangara was pretty good when i had my harley done 2 years ago , i've got another yellow one on z750 so will see how it goes this time around...cheers

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the LED complies with ADR it is legal. see narva cattledog et al.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's got me worried is that the inspector might notice that it's non-standard and make me replace it with the standard unit.
    its a $7 globe WHY would you waste everyones time?

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Iíve actually got two bikes to register - an XR650L and R. Iíll do the L first and just transfer the globe across to the R. Iíve come across some real fuckwits as inspectors. Once had a GS1000S inspected and the bloke reckoned it had a vibration of some sort. I felt like saying ďmate itís 1979 technology. Theyíre all like that you dopey bastard.Ē Just shrugged my shoulders and didnít say anything and got it passed though
    But itís going to be fun to see if he can get the R going

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Iíve actually got two bikes to register - an XR650L and R. Iíll do the L first and just transfer the globe across to the R. Iíve come across some real fuckwits as inspectors. Once had a GS1000S inspected and the bloke reckoned it had a vibration of some sort. I felt like saying ďmate itís 1979 technology. Theyíre all like that you dopey bastard.Ē Just shrugged my shoulders and didnít say anything and got it passed though

to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he had every intention of passing it, but felt he was doing you a favour by passing on his observations that you may have missed?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm betting that the LED light would pass, provided that you don't try and get too cool a globe.

work out what is acceptable (for example 4800K) and don't try and overcook it so its putting out a blue light

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago had some issues with licencing when I had to take my old 79 F100 over the pits at Warwick, had one fuckwit that thought he knew better than the engineer that did the engineers report I was forced to get for the LPG tank that was so over engineered it was rediculous

Quote Originally Posted by gareth_oau View Post
    to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he had every intention of passing it, but felt he was doing you a favour by passing on his observations that you may have missed?

It's possible but given my dealings with most people at the pits previously they have very little clue with anything non standard or MC's in general they just have to dribble some crap to make it sound like they know what they are doing May have changed since it was outsourced though?

I'm betting that the LED light would pass, provided that you don't try and get too cool a globe.

work out what is acceptable (for example 4800K) and don't try and overcook it so its putting out a blue light
    +1 My HID's are a cool white 5300K and never been an issue, the blue/purple ones actually put out less useable light anyway and are just wank

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillia View Post
    its a $7 globe WHY would you waste everyones time?
    Devil's advocate here, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Chuck have considered halogen bulbs?
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grabbed a set of 7" rectangle headlights with halogen globes from a 4x4 shop under $40 pair Hilux upgrade.

Bikes don't need the directional reflector offset cars do..ie; light beam is straight ahead due to lens design..

I think they do led drop ins as well.. that meet ADR... just a suggestion.

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire LED drop in unit is only about $45. Halogen bulbs probably arenít an option as itís a nonstandard bulb. Iíll just get it passed with standard unit then just do the LED upgrade. But part of the issue with the R is the current draw. As it doesnít have a battery I have to take that into account but as I understand it thatís the advantage of LEDs

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK

I had a look on Thumper Talk... these dudes love to spend the $$$$ , there are a few good ideas tho'

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    OK

I had a look on Thumper Talk... these dudes love to spend the $$$$ , there are a few good ideas tho'
    Thanks for the tip. Iíll look into it

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically current draw is less with LED, but they are more susceptible to fluctuations in brightness due to current and voltage availability as they do not rely on heat to illuminate.

A normal globe while still hot will continue to glow (dimmer) as available current and voltage drops off, an LED will simply flicker off and on once your supply drops below a certain point.

Having changed the cabin lights in my Hilux to LED, even just a dirty door contact is enough to get them flickering.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically current draw is less with LED, but they are more susceptible to fluctuations in brightness due to current and voltage availability as they do not rely on heat to illuminate.

A normal globe while still hot will continue to glow (dimmer) as available current and voltage drops off, an LED will simply flicker off and on once your supply drops below a certain point.

Having changed the cabin lights in my Hilux to LED, even just a dirty door contact is enough to get them flickering.
    Good point on that, I use a torch with LED globes for work and as the batteries get low it will just cut out completely every so often whereas a halogen/incandescent globe will slowly fade in brightness

Still LED globes are so damn cheap now that it would be worth trying them out given the improvement in light output you get

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly worth trying, just may get some unexpected results.

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly worth trying, just may get some unexpected results.

Thanks for the info, but yeah, at $45 for the entire bloody unit itís wirth a shot