User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Scrambler Project ! I want your old trail bike!

  1. #1
    Member jaseyjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Scrambler Project ! I want your old trail bike!

    Hi PSB!

    Chasing a project bike to get back onto two wheels after a bit of a hiatus.

    Thinking about what kind of riding id like to do, i think a scrambler type build is what id like to take on.

    Ideally something a little older, but already registered.

    Single cylinder thumper, electric start would be great, but i guess if its older i might not have a choice.

    Would be fantastic to get something from 1981 (have always liked the idea of owning a project thats as old as me ) but beggars cant be choosers!

    so maybe something like an older xr, xl, drz, wr, nx650 dommie, etc. Basically road registered 4 stroke trail.

    Budget, im gonna say between $500-$1000, cheaper the better obviously, but i recognize alot will depend on condition, CCs, year etc.

    So PSBers, if you have something like that collecting dust, hit me up! Have been scowering gumtree but would obviously rather deal with a PSBer!

    cheers jase.
    Last edited by jaseyjase; 03-02-2017 at 12:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Member jaseyjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little more searching and i think ive narrowed it down a little more

    Hoping for a registered 400cc, or ready for pits 600-650

    xr400, drz400s, xl/xr600, dommie, dr650.

    cash ready if anyone has something theyd like to move!

  3. #3
    Member agrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Liked
    2779 times
    Posts
    14,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1981 XL500s that I bought last year with the plan of turning it into a cafe racer. We now have everything working on it with the hope of getting it registered but my son seems to be losing interest.

    I paid about $1800 for it and spent a couple of hundred on bits and pieces and a new battery. It starts easy and runs well but the trouble is it needs the rings done because it smokes a lot and I doubt they would let it over the pits. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had noticed the smoke.

    I could probably let it go for $1200 unless my son cracks a sad. My wife would be happy to see it out of the carport. I'll see if I can dig out a photo.

    -

  4. #4
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    14,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I have a 1981 XL500s that I bought last year with the plan of turning it into a cafe racer. We now have everything working on it with the hope of getting it registered but my son seems to be losing interest.

    I paid about $1800 for it and spent a couple of hundred on bits and pieces and a new battery. It starts easy and runs well but the trouble is it needs the rings done because it smokes a lot and I doubt they would let it over the pits. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had noticed the smoke.

    I could probably let it go for $1200 unless my son cracks a sad. My wife would be happy to see it out of the carport. I'll see if I can dig out a photo.

    Do not want to tread on any toes and will operate as a second dibs but what does it need to be licenced.

    A friend of mine has some fond memories of these and is quite interested.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

  5. #5
    Member DanFranko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Zx6R
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I have a 1981 XL500s that I bought last year with the plan of turning it into a cafe racer. We now have everything working on it with the hope of getting it registered but my son seems to be losing interest.

    I paid about $1800 for it and spent a couple of hundred on bits and pieces and a new battery. It starts easy and runs well but the trouble is it needs the rings done because it smokes a lot and I doubt they would let it over the pits. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had noticed the smoke.

    I could probably let it go for $1200 unless my son cracks a sad. My wife would be happy to see it out of the carport. I'll see if I can dig out a photo.

    When are you going to sell that old clapped out Duke single...make even more room would look good next to mine.

    Apologies for the hijack.

  6. #6
    Member agrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Liked
    2779 times
    Posts
    14,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    Do not want to tread on any toes and will operate as a second dibs but what does it need to be licenced.

    A friend of mine has some fond memories of these and is quite interested.
    I reckon it just needs mirrors and rings to get registered. Oh and a road legal rear tyre. The rest of it just looks old and tired, like me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DanFranko View Post
    When are you going to sell that old clapped out Duke single...make even more room would look good next to mine.

    Apologies for the hijack.
    That old thing. Thanks for reminding me to dust it.
    -

  7. #7
    Member agrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Liked
    2779 times
    Posts
    14,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    Do not want to tread on any toes and will operate as a second dibs but what does it need to be licenced.

    A friend of mine has some fond memories of these and is quite interested.
    Hey chew, I haven't heard from jaseyjase, so if your friend is interested I can send some more photos. I don't want to waste your time in case my son doesn't want me to sell it. No harm in sending photos though.
    -

  8. #8
    Member jaseyjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    Hey chew, I haven't heard from jaseyjase, so if your friend is interested I can send some more photos. I don't want to waste your time in case my son doesn't want me to sell it. No harm in sending photos though.
    agrid! your inbox is full!

    but anyway, sorry for the delay in reply!

    being mechanically inept, and really needing to stick to a budget, i will have to pass on your banger mate.

    thanks for the offer though, appreciate it!

    good luck to and your boy with it though!

    cheers jase

  9. #9
    Member 98kellrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SOR
    Motorbike
    BMW Boxer Twin
    Liked
    308 times
    Posts
    2,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're mechanically inept, stretch the budget and aim for a better condition model.

    The most expensive project bikes are always the "bargains" that were bought cheaply unless you can do 99% of the work yourself and already have spares. It's better to save up $2k now and put it into an excellently maintained bike, than buy a cheapie and spend a fortune keeping it going and fixing the inevitable breakdowns.

    Ask me how I know...
    Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
    Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

  10. #10
    Member jaseyjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
    If you're mechanically inept, stretch the budget and aim for a better condition model.

    The most expensive project bikes are always the "bargains" that were bought cheaply unless you can do 99% of the work yourself and already have spares. It's better to save up $2k now and put it into an excellently maintained bike, than buy a cheapie and spend a fortune keeping it going and fixing the inevitable breakdowns.

    Ask me how I know...
    sound advice!

    im in no rush though, so i got my fingers crossed in finding a pits ready condition bike at my budget

    just being super patient, hopefully when winter rolls around therell be more people offloading bikes.

  11. #11
    Member 98kellrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SOR
    Motorbike
    BMW Boxer Twin
    Liked
    308 times
    Posts
    2,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already, join Perth Cafe Racers on Facebook, heaps of vintage scramblers/enduro guys on there.

    Patience is definitely the key! I rushed into buying my first project bike and it was a huge waste of time and money. Have a plan, and stick to it!
    Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
    Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

  12. #12
    Member jaseyjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
    If you haven't already, join Perth Cafe Racers on Facebook, heaps of vintage scramblers/enduro guys on there.

    Patience is definitely the key! I rushed into buying my first project bike and it was a huge waste of time and money. Have a plan, and stick to it!
    yep and yep!

  13. #13
    Member jaseyjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Talking

    Aaandd sorted
    Last edited by jaseyjase; 12-03-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •