User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 91 octane causing surging and rough idle?

Motorbike
    Yamaha FJR1300 & Yamaha FZ6N
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 octane causing surging and rough idle?

Hi all,

I recently purchased an fjr1300 and ever since I put a tank of 91 in it it has had a rough idle, surges at low rpm and was quite hard to start.
    I put a tank of 98 in it and it seems to have disappeared almost instantly.

I have always run 95 in my other bikes but the fjr forums were all saying it will happily run 91 or even lower in the states so I thought I might save myself some money.

Any ideas whats going on here? Is it the fuel or just a coincidence?

Thanks

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should run your bike for the fuel it's tuned/jetted for. If the manual says 91 then has that, otherwise use whatever octane rating it says. Sometimes in the US they de-tune some bikes so they can run on varying types of fuel as the equivalent of 95 RON isn't always available, so it's safer to have a tune for a lower octane rating.

My bikes all run on "premium fuel only", so I use 95. If your bike has been modified somrwhere along the line, it could be that someone tuned it to run on 95. Americans on forums in my experience are generally quite dumb, so I make a habit of not listening to a lot of the shit they dribble
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't be tight, its a bike splurge on the good stuff, low octane can cause low rpm surges depending on the engine compression ratio and the longer it sits in your tank the worse the fuel will get.

my 10 runs at 13:1 and doesn't really like anything under 98
    Hoonaholics Garage

"Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The octane is measured differently in the US so there numbers don't match ours. If the bike runs like crap on 91 and good on 98 its probably because it has been tuned accordingly, see how it goes with 95 it's probably the best fuel for the bike. FWIW the owners manual will tell you exactly what fuel to run

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been a bit of talk lately of the Federal Government looking to phase out 91 RON fuel by 2020 and have 95 as the minimum. May as well get used to the extra cost now...

Motorbike
    1400GTR 2010, ZX14 09, ZX14R 2012
    Liked
    15 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i run my 2014 FJR on 95/98 most fill ups but have run 91 a few times with no problems.

could be a one off but others I know with FJR's do the same with no issues
    FarRider # 159,

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    don't be tight, its a bike splurge on the good stuff, low octane can cause low rpm surges depending on the engine compression ratio and the longer it sits in your tank the worse the fuel will get.

my 10 runs at 13:1 and doesn't really like anything under 98
    I don't use 98 in my bike and it has a 12.65:1 CR, and it runs fine. This has been discussed thousands of times on PSB - that unless you tune a bike specifically for higher octane fuel then there's no reason to use it. You don't get mad gainz just from putting 98 in a bike
    Rest in Peace

A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    The octane is measured differently in the US so there numbers don't match ours. If the bike runs like crap on 91 and good on 98 its probably because it has been tuned accordingly, see how it goes with 95 it's probably the best fuel for the bike. FWIW the owners manual will tell you exactly what fuel to run
    It's most likely this. Your information is from a US user base and their fuel is rated by motor octane number MON ours is research octane number RON

In the*U.S., unleaded gasoline typically has*octane ratings*of 87 (regular), 88Ė90 (midgrade), and 91Ė94 (premium). Gasoline with an*octane rating*of 85 is available in some high-elevation areas of the*U.S.*(more about that below).
    So their 87 is our 91 and their 91 is our 95 for a rough enough conversion.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.
    Likes Rich... liked this post

Motorbike
    '89 Honda MC19
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally try to run 95 from BP or CALTEX. If I fill up with a 'discount' brand, I will use half a tank then refill from either BP or CALTEX.
    I normally find with the cheaper brands, I get less km per tank and it can 'ping' when hot.
    Cheers
    Drew
    "Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for ..."

Epicurus

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Really??? I thought most fuels were sourced from the BP refinery?

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.
    Likes Hillz liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some say there is a few that come already refined on ships that have questionable cleaning process's
    Hoonaholics Garage

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roomandu View Post
    I generally try to run 95 from BP or CALTEX. If I fill up with a 'discount' brand, I will use half a tank then refill from either BP or CALTEX.
    I normally find with the cheaper brands, I get less km per tank and it can 'ping' when hot.
    Cheers
    Drew
    Agreed, but not so much ping, more just runs pretty rough (audibly as well as physically) and starts are a bit harder.

If you can get the shell optimax (granted is 98), which is rare as hens teeth around perth, it is the only fuel where I have seen/felt real world performance differences in petrol engines.

I only run Caltex or BP premium diesels in the car now as well, any lesser fuels and it sounds and runs like crap (stupid new electronic common rail diesels).

I've also heard what Hillz mentioned as well, specifically in terms of the united/puma etc branded fuels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    Agreed, but not so much ping, more just runs pretty rough (audibly as well as physically) and starts are a bit harder.

If you can get the shell optimax (granted is 98), which is rare as hens teeth around perth, it is the only fuel where I have seen/felt real world performance differences in petrol engines.

I only run Caltex or BP premium diesels in the car now as well, any lesser fuels and it sounds and runs like crap (stupid new electronic common rail diesels).

I've also heard what Hillz mentioned as well, specifically in terms of the united/puma etc branded fuels

How can your bike (a ninja 250 IIRC) adjust for the different octane ratings in fuels to get more performance ? Not sure if I totally understand
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    How can your bike (a ninja 250 IIRC) adjust for the different octane ratings in fuels to get more performance ? Not sure if I totally understand
    Placebo effect. Same as you get with a 2Broz slipon.
    Likes dwillia, Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long story short if your bike does not have a high compression ratio and is not boosted, using a higher octane than the manufacturer recommends is stupid.

91 95 & 98 all contain the same amount of energy.

The only difference the octane rating will make is the type of combustion you'll see.

Delve into the world of deflagration and detonation vs octane rating before you make yourselves look anymore retarded.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes Ryanoceros, BillyBoof, Sonik liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    Placebo effect. Same as you get with a 2Broz slipon.
    Must be the same with getting your fuel from different places, I've never 'felt' a difference. I don't think my brain can handle another fuel thread

http://www.superstreetbike.com/more-...busters#page-2

Myth: Higher octane fuel produces more power
    Result: busted
    Last edited by Ryanoceros; 23-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to use premium ULP's in my 2010 Corolla. It has nothing to do with the massive performance from the wheezy 1.8 litre boat anchor under the hood.

I rarely drive the car. It does about 2 - 3,000km's per year so it gets filled every 2-3 months. Standard ULP "goes off" much quicker than the premiums.
    After a month of so with standard ulp in it, it would surge, run rough and loose power which is really bad given it's so underpowered to begin with.
    Premium seems to be ok for 3-4 months before it "goes off".

I guess I should drive it more often, but well, I'm sure you all can work out why I don't.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the difference can be noticed, i would not say it is a power difference however revs / throttle feel and sounds can change minutely.

i think these kind of things can even be noticed more so on smaller bikes as there is less power to mask it etc
    Hoonaholics Garage

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 octane causing surging and rough idle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    The shell optimax has nothing to do with my bike or it's performance (or lack thereof).

In my younger days, I spent an absolute packet on a fairly highly modified commodore (big bore, longer stroke, race machines cams, headers, supercharger etc etc - looking back in it now, I wish I'd saved that money and not pissed it away so to speak). When I was having it dyno'd I called bs on the different fuels making a difference, until I saw physical evidence of it.

IIRC, the shell optimax specifically is designed to produce more performance, j can't recall what additive/ratio that creates this though. The BP/Caltex premiums are cleaner and have cleaners within them that won't produce more power necessarily, but the detonation occurs later in the cycle and therefor being slightly more efficient.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the octane rating saga again! The oil companies need to stop telling a bunch of porkies claiming their fuel will improve anything more than their bottom line.

OP I would suggest your problem is either from some shit fuel or due to the recent damp/wet conditions and possible moisture/condensation in your fuel.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes Para045 liked this post