User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: motorcycle rider exepm from wearing a helmet

  1. #1
    Member acdcfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hilton
    Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    4,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    motorcycle rider exepm from wearing a helmet

    so today I went to get my lunch,, and motorbike rider pulls next to me without a helmet. Started a conversation about his indian and my rego plates and I thought to ask him about his helmet, to which he replied he was exempt from wearing one.

    is that possible, allowed under current law or.... Don't want to be ignorant or anything but never heard before that a person can be exempt form wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike..

    discuss...
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong



  2. #2
    Member Hillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mundaring
    Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it is possible, my old man has the exemption also.. but these days he still wears a helmet.

    you basically need a medical reason and regular letters from your GP stating so

  3. #3
    Member acdcfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hilton
    Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    4,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    yes it is possible, my old man has the exemption also.. but these days he still wears a helmet.

    you basically need a medical reason and regular letters from your GP stating so
    Right...I was not aware of it, but I am not sure if I would ride without one

    Thanks Hillz
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong



  4. #4
    Member MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canning Vale
    Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Posts
    1,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    you basically need a medical reason and regular letters from your GP stating so
    So what medical reason means you don't need to wear a helmet?

    Edit: I found one
    https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-w...ds-normal-life
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr
    Likes whowalks liked this post

  5. #5
    Member Hillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mundaring
    Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah my dad fell out of a car when he was a young hoodlum which left a scar on his head bigger than todays smart phones, he use to roll around with a beanie and those red barron type goggles while riding

  6. #6
    Member paulie803's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Naughty Corner
    Motorbike
    A Black Thing
    Liked
    296 times
    Posts
    1,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    So what medical reason means you don't need to wear a helmet?

    Edit: I found one
    https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-w...ds-normal-life
    government job...fucking typical hahahaha
    Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...
    Likes xor liked this post

  7. #7
    Member gareth_oau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you can also be exempt for religious reasons, for example a sikh who must weat a turban (though I'm not sure on this)

  8. #8
    Member Prefectionist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The far part of Ellenbrook
    Motorbike
    Doesn't matter, don't ride them anymore anyway.
    Liked
    517 times
    Posts
    2,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_oau View Post
    I believe you can also be exempt for religious reasons, for example a sikh who must weat a turban (though I'm not sure on this)
    When I worked at Adventure World, I had a group of Sikhs with turbans come up to ride the Go-karts. Policy is anyone who rides it needs to wear a helmet, but he said he had an exemption from helmets and pulled out a card showing it (might have been his drivers license, dont remember, but it was a card). Gave a call to my team leader to come and check it out and there was an exemption. Because of liability we told them they still needed a helmet despite the exemption, and they were fine about it and they went off to do something more fun than drive those slow, broken pieces of shit. Turban probably would have offered about the same protection as those helmets anyway (and would almost be guaranteed to have been cleaner).
    Likes gareth_oau, valvolux, Radtuono liked this post

  9. #9
    Member El Skitzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Liked
    739 times
    Posts
    5,177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan View Post
    Started a conversation about his indian and my rego plates
    Was this a vintage Indian or one of the new pretend plastic ones?

  10. #10
    Member Hillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mundaring
    Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Skitzo View Post
    Was this a vintage Indian or one of the new pretend plastic ones?
    i would say a new one, the old ones don't pull up next to people unless they on a trailer
    Likes roomandu, Ryanoceros, whowalks, xor, Radtuono liked this post

  11. #11
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan View Post
    so today I went to get my lunch,, and motorbike rider pulls next to me without a helmet. Started a conversation about his indian and my rego plates and I thought to ask him about his helmet, to which he replied he was exempt from wearing one.

    is that possible, allowed under current law or.... Don't want to be ignorant or anything but never heard before that a person can be exempt form wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike..

    discuss...
    That guy is a fucking champ. His name is Craig. And, yep, he has a helmet exemption.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  12. #12
    Member acdcfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hilton
    Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    4,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Skitzo View Post
    Was this a vintage Indian or one of the new pretend plastic ones?
    plastic ones...was way to shiny to be vintage

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    That guy is a fucking champ. His name is Craig. And, yep, he has a helmet exemption.
    you personally know him?
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong



  13. #13
    Member Commander Keen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Posts
    10,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I heard the WA DOT wasn't issuing new exemptions anymore, on the basis that if you can't wear a helmet you probably shouldn't be riding anyway.

    Sounds like a good idea to me.


    Road Traffic Code 2000
    Part 16 - Persons travelling on or in a vehicle
    Division 5 — Other duties
    244. - Drivers and pillion passengers upon motor cycles to wear protective helmets
    (1)
    In this regulation --

    protective helmet means a helmet that is, or is of a standard or type that is, approved by the CEO, for the purposes of this regulation, by notice in the Gazette.

    (2)
    A person shall not drive a motor cycle unless --

    (a) that person is wearing securely on his or her head a protective helmet; and

    (b) where any other person is riding or being carried on the motor cycle, that other person is wearing a protective helmet securely on his or her head.

    Points: 3 - Modified penalty: 11 PU

    (3)
    Where any other person is riding or being carried on the motor cycle, that other person shall wear a protective helmet securely on his or her head.

    Points: 3 - Modified penalty: 11 PU

    (4)
    The provisions of subregulations (2) and (3) do not apply so as to require the wearing of a protective helmet by a person who has, for reasons relating to the person's medical condition or for any other reason which the CEO considers sufficient, been exempted in writing by the CEO, on or before 30 November 2000, from that requirement.

    (5)
    The CEO may at any time, by notice in writing to the person, amend or revoke an exemption given to a person under subregulation (4).

    (6)
    An exemption given under this regulation --

    (a)has effect from the time it is given until the expiry date ascribed to that exemption by the CEO and set out in the written exemption; and (b)may be renewed for a specified period by the CEO.

    Approval of UNECE 22.05 helmets gazetted 1/4/16, see 2016 Gazette below
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?

  14. #14
    Member IGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TD Headquarters
    Motorbike
    Yamaha CLP-440
    Liked
    55 times
    Posts
    4,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a older lady riding a cruiser without a helmet in peak hour traffic, plate was GODDESS. With her flair, I'm not sure she had an exemption.

    Likes Älen liked this post

  15. #15
    Member Älen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some where out there!
    Motorbike
    06 YZF-R6, 06 R1
    Liked
    137 times
    Posts
    1,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IGS View Post
    Saw a older lady riding a cruiser without a helmet in peak hour traffic, plate was GODDESS. With her flair, I'm not sure she had an exemption.
    With that number plate that is the exemption you will ever need....
    Likes IGS liked this post

  16. #16
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    16,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefectionist View Post
    Because of liability we told them they still needed a helmet despite the exemption, and they were fine about it and they went off to do something more fun than drive those slow, broken pieces of shit.
    Even if they had an exemption from wearing a helmet under the Traffic Act it wouldn't mean fuck all in relation to a privately run business on private property as far as I'm aware ie at my firearms range it is a requirement to wear eye and hearing protection when on the range (not just when shooting) for insurance reasons but there is no requirement under the Firearms Act


    Yep as CK said you USED TO be able to get an exemption years ago but not anymore
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Liked
    33 times
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear one simply for the wind. I can barely keep my eyes open in 1st gear let alone the rest . Saving my life/face as I go sliding down the road is a happy side effect. Never understood anyones reasoning to not wearing a helmet.. To rebel? Sure .. you only hurt yourself. If I wasn't wearing a closed face helmet when I crashed I wouldn't have much of a face anymore, not that it effected my decision to wear one, more re-enforced it.

  18. #18
    Member Prefectionist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The far part of Ellenbrook
    Motorbike
    Doesn't matter, don't ride them anymore anyway.
    Liked
    517 times
    Posts
    2,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Even if they had an exemption from wearing a helmet under the Traffic Act it wouldn't mean fuck all in relation to a privately run business on private property as far as I'm aware ie at my firearms range it is a requirement to wear eye and hearing protection when on the range (not just when shooting) for insurance reasons but there is no requirement under the Firearms Act


    Yep as CK said you USED TO be able to get an exemption years ago but not anymore
    I can see his reasoning though. Not having to wear one on the road, why would he need one in a go-kart that on a good day goes about as quick as a slow jog? At least he didn't try to argue about it. He accepted the point, and we did try to get one of the bigger helmets over his turban, so I think he appreciated that we at least tried. As far as denying someone on a ride goes, I can only think of one other instance where it went better (very large maori woman didn't fit on the Power Surge).

  19. #19
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you personally know him?
    Met and spoken to him on a number of occassions. Plenty of time for that bloke.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  20. #20
    Member MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canning Vale
    Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Posts
    1,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    i would say a new one, the old ones don't pull up next to people unless they on a trailer
    Not true.
    My brother owned a 1942 Indian Scout a couple of years ago. Rode it around the place all the time. Definitely not common though :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr
    Likes El Skitzo liked this post

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •