Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS trackers

Gíday Crew, does anyone use a gps tracker,Iím thinking of purchasing one for longer solo rides,which most .as we do,we/I have had the odd near brush with odd roo or flying objects in the past.
    Apparently these trackers can alert a family member an more ,emergency services. So they can locate you.
    I guessing this product would used a far bit with trail bike riding too.
    The idea is new to me, is there a particular brand or model that can cover any distance?
    Thank you.

Motorbike
    175 Honda
    Liked
    146 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltie View Post
    Gíday Crew, does anyone use a gps tracker,Iím thinking of purchasing one for longer solo rides,which most .as we do,we/I have had the odd near brush with odd roo or flying objects in the past.
    Apparently these trackers can alert a family member an more ,emergency services. So they can locate you.
    I guessing this product would used a far bit with trail bike riding too.
    The idea is new to me, is there a particular brand or model that can cover any distance?
    Thank you.
    Get a personal EPIRB. The are small & much more effective if you are injured.
    Likes Saltie liked this post

Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B&H View Post
    Get a personal EPIRB. The are small & much more effective if you are injured.
    Agreed, but they do have the disadvantage that you need to be able to active it. Obvious advantage is these work no matter where you are (provided they survive the crash).
    Of course you could modify it to activate itself if you crash.
    Many of the gps trackers on the market, even cheap ones, have a function that sends an alert to a predetermined number if you crash. Of course this has the disadvantage that you need to be in mobile range.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr

Motorbike
    1400GTR 2010, ZX14 09, ZX14R 2012
    Liked
    15 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

i have a spot 2 which works well

you can join spotwalla (free) and set up links for friends
    https://spotwalla.com/index.php
    FarRider # 159,
    Likes FJ Steve, Saltie liked this post

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think J.J was wearing one on his bush rides here http://https://www.perthstreetbikes....12#post3382612 . He might be able to help you out.
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    Kawasaki KLR 650 Camo
    Liked
    480 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Spot and a sat phone. The InReach is also good, it has 2 way messaging. Ask away, I have played around with most.

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replyís, In particular Gus who has my utmost respect.
    I geuss a top pocket would be place to put it?
    I get so use it making sure that certain items are in correct way/spot, before heading out.
    J.J. interesting u use a sat phone a necessity in your case.
    Yes Iíll have a gawk that some these Suggestions .Thanks again Chaps. Ride safe.

Motorbike
    1400GTR 2010, ZX14 09, ZX14R 2012
    Liked
    15 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some have it on their arm, some have it attached to the bike.
    which is best is a hot debate.
    For me it's attached to the bike next to the throttle facing up (personal preference)
    FarRider # 159,

Motorbike
    Kawasaki KLR 650 Camo
    Liked
    480 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replyís, In particular Gus who has my utmost respect.
    I get so use it making sure that certain items are in correct way/spot, before heading out.
    J.J. interesting u use a sat phone a necessity in your case.
    Yes Iíll have a gawk that some these Suggestions .Thanks again Chaps. Ride safe.
    I use a Sat phone (as well as a Spot) as I did come across someone on the GSR that crashed badly and was pretty broken up, they had a Spot and a PLB, and had hit both. But sitting waiting, hoping that someone is coming as you bleed out, or go in and out of consciousness is not a nice thing. They guy had a Sat phone and being able to also talk to the people who were helping was great, it also cut down the time it took to get to us as we could give the extra information. I bought one as soon as I got back. I can just use my normal phone SIM in mine (Iridium), and it will dial 000 without a SIM so there is no need for extra expensive plans. Also organising parts and repairs etc on a phone is a lot easier than trying to do it over messages or not at all. The other members of the family are much more at ease with me heading off solo if I have the phone and Spot.

As a location for the tracker, I have tried all places, on the bike, in the pocket, but now I have it on my suit or back pack on my upper chest RHS. I have settled on here for a few reasons.

1) Its in a place that in a crash its unlikely to be punched through your body, doing a heap of damage. (Never place in on the right over your heart. If you land on it, it could stop your heart). I tried it on my rm, but I was always worried that if I come off and landed on it, it would break the arm. The forearm might be OK. But this is hotly debates as previously said.
    2) Its on me at all times. I explore out in the gold fields and remote regions. There is a lot of holes and shafts. If I was to get caught in one I have half a chance of getting a message out.
    3) If you are thrown off, you dont have to crawl back to your bike. And in a lot of crashes the device may get flung off and you wont find it.

What we found on the GSR

My Coms set up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OORFfsRKQJw

Using your Telstra SIM in the Sat Phone
    https://youtu.be/fi3a_X7a53M

Spot Tracker test
    https://youtu.be/JQAjX7Kfuyk
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Liked
    269 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a side gig as a motorcycle adventure tour guide, mostly India but just came back from 3 weeks in Vietnam and spot tracker is standard kit. Works, and is simple to use, haven't had to use SOS function yet though. I either mount on bars or hang it off my back pack.
    euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J View Post
    but now I have it on my suit or back pack on my upper chest RHS. I have settled on here for a few reasons.

(Never place in on the right over your heart. If you land on it, it could stop your heart).
    Hmm you have a strange anatomy

I can certainly identify with not having it on your chest though as my last accident I went superman over the front of the bike and my wallet was over my heart area (LEFT of sternum ) and while it didn't stop my heart I did crack 2 ribs Was a bitch for a couple of months every time I coughed /laughed it hurt like buggery

I do like the idea that you can have a Sat Phone with a normal phone SIM as that has always been an issue for me that they were bloody expensive to buy and even more costly to use
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Kawasaki KLR 650 Camo
    Liked
    480 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opps, I meant left.. Right looking at myself..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric View Post
    I have a side gig as a motorcycle adventure tour guide, mostly India but just came back from 3 weeks in Vietnam and spot tracker is standard kit. Works, and is simple to use, haven't had to use SOS function yet though. I either mount on bars or hang it off my back pack.
    No a bad side gig I must say I travel up there a lot for work. have always been going to do a ride around, just never have. Never got around to getting all the licences and insurance etc set up.

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi J.J thatís a awesome post, as the camera on the video looked down the road. Itís get hard to convince the masses on how vast our country is. Let alone how cruel a situation can turn with no help. However Iím never far form reminding one self on fast thing can turn without warning. A small step forward in to getting a emergency device an so my family know Iím coming home or come back later than the time a said for what ever reason.
    Yer, top stuff..J.J. cheers.
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi J.J thatís a awesome post, as the camera on the video looked down the road. Itís get hard to convince the masses on how vast our country is. Let alone how cruel a situation can turn with no help. However Iím never far form reminding one self on fast thing can turn without warning. A small step forward in to getting a emergency device an so my family know Iím coming home or come back later than the time a said for what ever reason.
    Yer, top stuff..J.J. cheers.
    Even on the Black Top what you have said applies. I learnt a lot from JJ post about the Spot.

I was in the Orange Support vehicle in the photo. One of our riders and pillion down after a kangaroo v bike. We had direct coms with the Flying Doctor. Due to the bad weather they could not land. It took Three hours for the amubulance and then they had to be driven into South Australia before air evacuating could be done. It's times like this that audio Comms is really needed. We had Sat phone but at this location around 80 kilometers East of Madurah Pass Telstra was working.

I have the Flying Doctor telephone numbers sticker on my bike so anyone can see it.

Likes Saltie, Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope people reading these posts donít get put off from motorcycle riding, quite the contrary, if anything it raises awareness on safe riding.an what needs be considered when enjoying a longer ride you would normally plan.
    The blokes that have given their time post these videos/photos here are professionals.
    Iíve lost some lifetime mates in the past. an witnessed the impact on their families.
    So pack up an get out there an enjoy riding an love life an the freedom it can give you.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can sit at home or get out there. We are talking risk management and its sensible to look at the options. I will ride out there any day but won't face the daily traffic grind. That's my choice it's not everyone's.

This is relevant whether you go by four wheel drive or on two wheels. I am heading off in five weeks, not quite sure when we will be back. Will be on remote but sealed roads some of the time.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graelin "on the road enterprises' is in need of some help, I'd guess... solar panels for van..?

Security system suggestions for vehicle and van..?

Live replay rear facing camera for reversing in tight spots..?

Just throwing it up there..is all.. he is a very good man after all.

If anything like me is not adverse to a bit of tech. ahha hhaaa..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically challenged - I really loved JJ explanations on video. Now I understand what the Spots do. I have learnt a lot from this thread.

In relation to GSX above.

Any advice on portable solar systems would be good, where to purchase and any pit falls. I have the Patrol wired to charge my caravan battery as we drive as free camping options will be used. I have decided to just go portable solar and suck it and see.

Caravan is new for us and learning fast. Fully serviced, new tyres and 120 amp battery.

Reversing in tight spots lol, where do you get your info GSX! Gumtree was my friend last month two Nissan Patrol Tail lights for $65. So have one spare now. We did a caravan reversing course so getting better.

Mrs Lin has six months long service at half pay option. My employer was great, they will keep my job open. My coms will be two way CB, one in car and two hand held and normal phone. I feel this will cover us where we will be going.

Watching JJ videos is infectious and well worth the time.

A few pics below.

I am very fortnunate Mrs Lin Not Complain!

The Woodlines area frequented by JJ on his bike.

The new venture. The tent is coming along so we can venture off the black top.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi G.....

You have a fair idea where my info comes from....

I hope you don't mind me trying to solicit help for your un-asked questions....

you prolly would've asked 'em sooner or later... hey bud..?

Seems you can get a device/alarm like a car central locking for a van ....too.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Graelin, Gim liked this post