Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Have been learning to ride for a few months now with a friend. Have not had any instructors lessons yet but thinking about taking the test anyway. If you have your full C class drivers license do you need to need to display L plates or where a learners jacket during the assessment? I can't see it mentioned anywhere on the transport website?

Getting a licence to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle (R-E class) licence

• You must be at least 16 years and six months of age to undertake the PDA.
    • The PDA will determine your general riding ability. This may include testing your ability to:
      • Balance the vehicle at low speeds by riding around a figure 'O' without putting a foot on the ground.
      • Correctly park and start on a hill.
      • Perform a quick stop under full control without locking either wheel.

• You must wear appropriate attire that consists of enclosed footwear, approved helmet, long trousers and long-sleeved shirt or fully-sleeved jacket. Gloves and eye protection are also highly recommended.
    • For the practical riding assessment on a Trike, applicants will be required to demonstrate their ability to control the relevant trike for which the class is sought. The assessment will be in the same format as an unrestricted motorcycle assessment, with specific focus on road position. In lieu of the balance component, applicants will be required to demonstrate a parking or turning-around manoeuvre.

Regards,

James

Motorbike
    2014 Ninja 300
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First test (a year ago) the examiner told me to take off the L jacket, second test (a month ago) the examiner left the jacket on me..

Both the tests were RE.

I know this answer doesn't really help you but it almost seems to be down to the examiner.

the explanation I was given when I was told to take the jacket off is "so that other drivers don't treat you like a learner on the road". I didn't ask why he didn't remove it on the second test, I find examiners don't like to be questioned!

Bring L's with you...I'm sure you'd rather have them and not need them then not have them and not be allowed to test..

Motorbike
    Tryhard Gayowner
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_zz_ View Post
    Hi Guys,

Have been learning to ride for a few months now with a friend. Have not had any instructors lessons yet but thinking about taking the test anyway. If you have your full C class drivers license do you need to need to display L plates or where a learners jacket during the assessment? I can't see it mentioned anywhere on the transport website?
    You need L's the whole time because you don't have a motorcycle license. If you haven't had any lessons from an instructor, it's more than likely you will fail because you wont know where you're likely to be tested, and what you'll be tested on.
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    yeah I don't know what it is, maybe there is a strange alignment in the planets or something but I find myself agreeing with Ryno
    Likes Inkahootz liked this post

Motorbike
    2014 Ninja 300
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that include the assessment Ryan? As I wasn't allowed to wear an L during one of mine at the examiners insistance?

Motorbike
    Tryhard Gayowner
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robw View Post
    Does that include the assessment Ryan? As I wasn't allowed to wear an L during one of mine at the examiners insistance?
    I didn't wear a vest in my R class assessment but I did for my RE. I think you're right in that it's up to the assessor.
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    yeah I don't know what it is, maybe there is a strange alignment in the planets or something but I find myself agreeing with Ryno
    Likes Robw liked this post

Liked
    89 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No requirement for the L during a test.
    You are deemed to be a licensed rider for the duration of the assessment, and it is contravention of the road code to display an L when licensed.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^yes
    -

Motorbike
    Electric bicycle
    Liked
    28 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_zz_ View Post
    Hi Guys,

. Have not had any instructors lessons yet but thinking about taking the test anyway.

James
    Unless you have good skills and knowledge of how the test is conducted and what the examiners want to see this may not be a successful idea. I have nothing to gain or lose from telling you this...

Perhaps someone could mention pass rates without lessons to help inform your decision.

As for wearing L's during the test I believe some examiners like you to wear it as you'll likely be riding annoyingly slow as opposed to the more brisk manner of most licensed riders and this will help avoid frustration/danger with other motorists.

Motorbike
    LAMS!!
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat part of passing the licence test is taking the bloody fluro L vest off!!!