Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask an instructor thread

As one of the resident instructors on PSB, I figure maybe instead of creating a thread and getting 75,000 replies with information that is not quiet correct, we could have a dedicated one just for this.

So if you want to ask a licence/learners permit related question, feel free to post up. I dont get on PSB every night but there are a couple of instructors, examiners and well experience shadows on PSB that hopefully will also be able to answer your questions for you if I don't get to it before them.

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent idea SIKPUPY

i will start the ball rolling SIKPUPY with this one for ya. (sorry if it has been done before)

Does your R-E licence equal your R permit or do you have to go and and get another bit of paper and pay the $$$ for the R permit. cheers

Motorbike
    Street Triple
    Liked
    486 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've written this up in more detail a few times...

If you have an R-E licence, you can display L plates and operate an R class motorcycle on the roads when accompanied by a shadow who has held the class for at least four years. To book a practical riding assessment for the R class, you are still required to pay for an R class permit and complete an eye test. Once you have paid for the R class permit, you MUST carry it with you when riding an R class vehicle even though you were not required to have it prior. Pretty much, you don't need the permit to learn as long as you have your R-E, but to book an assessment you need it, and once you have it you are bound by it.

Motorbike
    KLR650
    Liked
    1084 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryven View Post
    Pretty much, you don't need the permit to learn as long as you have your R-E, but to book an assessment you need it, and once you have it you are bound by it.
    In a Nutshell.

People keep asking and they are referred to the official website that explains it, but the lines above should be written on the blackboard until understood.
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Motorbike
    GSX650F
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Ryven
    Likes Bors liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea! Here's one for you.

Does an RE licence holder with Paid R learners permit, have to display an L plate when riding an R class bike c/w shadow?

I ask because my first instructor gave myself the usual L vest to wear when riding with him yet my new riding instructor says that It is not required.
    Both instructors involved have been "in the game" a very long time and I find it's a bit confusing that two seasoned riding instructors would disagree on this point.

Motorbike
    2011 Speed Triple
    Liked
    7 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would like to know this also as im a R learner

Motorbike
    Black 2011 Yamaha R6
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    legally you must wear the "L" if you are learning no matter what.
    Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
    Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
    In the backroads as it is on the freeway
    Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
    And forgive us our lanesplitting
    As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
    And lead us not into gravel corners
    But deliver us from hand-held radars
    For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
    Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Motorbike
    Street Triple
    Liked
    486 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killswitch54923 View Post
    legally you must wear the "L" if you are learning no matter what.
    This. In all cases where you are operating a vehicle on a learners permit under supervision, you must display L plates visible from the front and rear of the vehicle. There is a standard size for the plates and font width, however I've never heard of anyone having issue from the law for displaying L plates and font larger than the standard size, such as on the back of a riding school jacket or the type truck schools use. Likewise the regulations stipulate "plates", however police seem to be more interested in whether or not you have them, and whether or not the font is at least the standard size as opposed to whether or not they are on a "plate".

The only time where a "learner" does not require L plates is during their practical driving/riding assessments, where you are effectively a licenced driver/rider for the duration of the assessment. Meaning, by all rights, it would be an offense for you to display the plates falsely...

Liked
    6583 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When did you get your instructors licence mate?

Motorbike
    GSX650F
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmogod View Post
    Do you have one?

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank guys, i shall write them on the black board till understood

Motorbike
    Street Triple
    Liked
    486 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmogod View Post
    Maybe later.

In the mean time, as SIKPUPY said, he doesn't get on here that often and there are others on here capable of providing answers. If I see the question first and I know the answer/am familiar with the legislation if that's what it relates to, I'm happy to help.

Motorbike
    GPX250
    Liked
    4 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 1 shadow required per learner or can you have 2 learners per shadow?
    Is p plates required to be displayed after gaining R-E license (i have done the p plate stuff for car lic 6 years ago) ?

Motorbike
    GSX650F
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upg View Post
    Is 1 shadow required per learner or can you have 2 learners per shadow?
    Is p plates required to be displayed after gaining R-E license (i have done the p plate stuff for car lic 6 years ago) ?
    P plate one is easy, you are only required to display P Plates for your first licence in WA at this stage, however after 2012 you will probably need to display P's and abide to all relevant restrictions but we will see what happens.

As for the Shadow question, this is a bit of a grey area. I personally have not been able to dig up much information in regards to this, the documentation seems to state that you must be with a licensed rider/instructor but doesnt tell how many people an instructor/rider is able to shadow for. The issue with taking multiple learners is that you are responsible for the safety of 2 people and depending on the circumstances can proove to be quite difficult especially in 4pm traffic. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you are 100% comfortable with the skills of both riders.

Motorbike
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw one out there. If you're an R class learner, displaying your L plate on an R class bike and have a shadow: Are you allowed to ride interstate? Do the WA licencing laws apply to you, or do you need to follow that states R class learner law?

For example: While I'd need a shadow riding here in WA, if I was in Vic would I still need a shadow?

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryven View Post
    The only time where a "learner" does not require L plates is during their practical driving/riding assessments, where you are effectively a licenced driver/rider for the duration of the assessment. Meaning, by all rights, it would be an offense for you to display the plates falsely...
    Interesting. That could be the source of the confusion if the instructor "presents" an R class learner for assessment who is not wearing an L plate then he is doing the right thing there so he may assume it applies to lessons as well.
    I'll mention this next time I see him which will be test day.

Motorbike
    All old ones, most of them even work
    Liked
    178 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking the practical test

Just a quick question - is there any rule requiring you to wait a specific period of time before you can re-take a practical test after you have failed.
    There seems to be a hell of a backlog at my local testing station, and I am thinking about taking the test elsewhere, but don't want to make myself ineligible for taking the test that is already booked (late in May)
    Thanks
    Andy

Motorbike
    GSX650F
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Just a quick question - is there any rule requiring you to wait a specific period of time before you can re-take a practical test after you have failed.
    There seems to be a hell of a backlog at my local testing station, and I am thinking about taking the test elsewhere, but don't want to make myself ineligible for taking the test that is already booked (late in May)
    Thanks
    Andy
    Andy, I am guessing your local is Kelmscott, we do most of our tests there and they are usually 3-4 weeks booked in advance so we try and plan early, we rarely get Welshpool tests that are suitable for us and our students too. Willagee and City West are usually about 3-4 weeks booked as well. You can usually pick something up in Rockingham reasonably easily(Havent tried for a few months though). You can however usually score a cancellation or a last minute test if needed.

If you didn't make it through on your first assessmentt, you have to wait 7 days to rebook.

Cheers

Brett

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250
    Liked
    168 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seznid View Post
    I'll throw one out there. If you're an R class learner, displaying your L plate on an R class bike and have a shadow: Are you allowed to ride interstate? Do the WA licencing laws apply to you, or do you need to follow that states R class learner law?

For example: While I'd need a shadow riding here in WA, if I was in Vic would I still need a shadow?
    ^^^^^
    what they said