Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RZ 500 Prices

Why is it that the RZ 500's seem tobe getting around twice the price that they were new and the 250/350's don't?

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supply and demand.
    Mind you - it's those RG500 prices that are most scarey.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Motorbike
    Black 1098S,01 FAtboy
    Liked
    17 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am old and was riding when they first released the RZ500,mate bought one and i had a 1984 FJ110 the RZ was meant to be limited run i think 500 world wide ,mate bought one because he thought it would be worth more being limited but Yamaha then released more and at the time they wernt worth much at all

Banned User
    Liked
    17 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by collector; 19-06-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a pristine rz500 in 94 with only 5500kms on it, i traded it for a new KLR250 about $5800 at the time after being busted out of class and my mother telling me i couldn't ride it lol guess they were already on the way up then but i needed transport, told i couldn't ride the bike then writing off my car.

Liked
    7 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RZ250's will always be the poor cousin to the RZ350 and as such they will never match the value of a RZ350. the 350's are only now starting to pick up in value and the first model iterations with matching engine / chassis numbers will only be going up in value.

RZ500's are far more rare than the smaller capacity bikes and for their time were far more advanced and therefore are much more sort after now and as such are and will always be worth more.

My two cents worth.....
    1977 Understanding Wife....
    1983 Yamaha RZ350K
    1985 Suzuki GSXR750F
    1989 Yamaha TZR250 3MA
    2008 Triumph Street Triple RR

Motorbike
    lots
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my RZ500 about 6 months ago due to financial situation, she had 18000 km on the clock and got $9500 for her, had to freight to the east for the bloke.
    I still have my RG 500 with 15000km on her, i bought back in 1992 and have only put 500km on her since then and love the small rides i have on her every now and then.
    I have a small sticker on the screen and it says it all " To ride me is to love me"

Liked
    76 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by EvilDwarf; 02-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd love to find where my old RZ500 ended up, i hope it went to a good home

Liked
    393 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racefast View Post
    I sold my RZ500 about 6 months ago due to financial situation, she had 18000 km on the clock and got $9500 for her, had to freight to the east for the bloke.
    I still have my RG 500 with 15000km on her, i bought back in 1992 and have only put 500km on her since then and love the small rides i have on her every now and then.
    I have a small sticker on the screen and it says it all " To ride me is to love me"
    Any pictures of your bike?

Motorbike
    919 500's 250
    Liked
    10 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea guys - get those scanners running, and post up some piccies!
    Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Motorbike
    lots
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go, my pride and joy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked
    393 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautifull original looking at the pictures!
    How good would it be to have all classic bikes (2stroker) race replica's) together on a display to get them out of storage and into the public show to admire!
    I am toying with the idea to get a stand at the next MC Perth show where we can present our restored bikes and make this happen.
    The KR RZ500 Yamaha on last year's show certainly made an inpact and lots of people remenissed looking at it while all the ticketselling and model parading went on around it!
    In England and Holland this sort of display has it's own show and draws massive crowds.

Maybe I might be able to say to you, to save the belly pan, to store your bike perfecly horizontal, if you do not do this already so the float bowls have no overflow leakage into the belly pan, which wrecks it.

Liked
    7 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter Stevens in Melbourne City has a 15,000 km RZV500 (the jap one with the alloy frame) in the showroom at the moment..... $13,995 to you sir, if you wish.

It's very nice and tidy, but I think that's too steep. The salesman was saying they have brought a few classic style collector bikes from Japan of late as the GFC has hurt collectors over there and therefore some good quality bikes have been offloaded onto the market....
    1983 Yamaha RZ350K
    1985 Suzuki GSXR750F
    1989 Yamaha TZR250 3MA

Liked
    393 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To dear?
    Have you got any idea how much a restoration on one of those bikes will $et you back, in time and $$ if you can find someone who is willing to take it on if you do not have the skill/time/inclination?
    I have heard that is more a passion.If one would charge an MC workshop hourly rate I believe the figure would be rather large.
    If you can buy a nice and tidy bike that does not need work, $14K is not to much in my guess/estimation
    Good/new Parts for these bikes and the Rg500 are scarce and if available expen$ive I believe.

anyway what is a post without a picture?
    Last edited by Jamathi; 19-06-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added

Liked
    7 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair point Jamanthi and I know only too well what the cost is to restore an older bike after finishing off my RZ350 - it cost way more than what the bike is worth now, not that my baby will ever be sold (she's my 5th 350 and a keeper).

The RZ500 in PS was very nice though I wouldve thought you could buy a low mileage Aussie bike for less than that- would you need to be concerned about the engine after it's been sitting for so long?

I have to admit I do like the idea of the lighter alloy frame that the jap models had, though from memory they are also restricted in their power output.

In stark contrast to the 500 two strokes look at the values of the comparative four stroke 750's of the day. I'm betting that the first series of GSXR750's are headed for collector status now that they're 25 yrs old - one reason why my latest addition to the garage is a 12,000 km 1985 model (a jap import....), but can't say I can see the FZ750 heading that way any time soon.
    1983 Yamaha RZ350K
    1985 Suzuki GSXR750F
    1989 Yamaha TZR250 3MA

Banned User
    Liked
    17 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamathi View Post
    To dear?
    Have you got any idea how much a restoration on one of those bikes will $et you back, in time and $$ if you can find someone who is willing to take it on if you do not have the skill/time/inclination?
    I have heard that is more a passion.If one would charge an MC workshop hourly rate I believe the figure would be rather large.
    If you can buy a nice and tidy bike that does not need work, $14K is not to much in my guess/estimation
    Good/new Parts for these bikes and the Rg500 are scarce and if available expen$ive I believe.

anyway what is a post without a picture?
    Most certainly dont restore these for financial gain - definitly a passion. I can say with all certainty that these big bore 2 strokes will never grace the new showroom floors again. its all about restoration and preservation in their original form if thats your thing.

Liked
    4 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talk to some yamaha dealers that had shops in the mid to late 80s and they will tell you they sent quite a few back to japan as they couldnt sell them here in wa
    wouldnt you would of like to get hold of them

Motorbike
    Ducati 999R #0069, Italjet D180, ZX9R C2
    Liked
    99 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That RZ500 in Peter Stevens here looks to be in original condition with a fairly superficial "tart up" exercise done on it. I'd hazard a guess and say it's nowhere near the condition of Jamathis bikes.
    Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Motorbike
    Yamaha Rd350Lc
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep the Gsxr 85 750 will be the next to go, I bought one last year with a fully rebuilt motor and 2 year old paint job for the pricely sum of $1800.

Then again I purchased my Lc350 in 93 for $50, I can remember buying them in the early to mid 90's for $150-$250 Rz's included.

My how things have changed.