'98 RGV250, '05 KTM Superduke
    Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Racetech site tends to give slightly stiffer estimations than what is really needed. You may want to try stock initially and see how things work out and then go stiffer later if you need to. It just depends how comfortable you are with pulling the forks apart.

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never rebuilt a shock or fork before in my life, though I've seen Flash Harry's/Uncle Flash's write up on doing it and it would seem manageable with a few extra tools. I'm pretty happy to pay Marty Moose to do it and ensure I get the job done right first time around mind you, and I'd rather not have to look at replacing the springs after it's back together if I can draw on experience to get it right the first time around. But with my weight and the bike's weight it does look as though the original spring is closer than that of the Racetech, with the other option being the progressive rate HyperPro.

Gangus - when I said "sold" I actually had just bought that Nitron unit!! Nothing like introducing a little buyers remorse, though I would have wanted the Ohlins shock rebuilt at a further cost and funds aren't unlimited - though I am happy to spend the extra cash where it's warranted. Ohlins does sound good, but I'm pretty happy the Nitron will be better than I know what to do with anyway. I would have opted for the 'Track' model, had it been a better saving. But I have asked for that radiator and steering dampner, subject to a suitable postage price.

With any luck I'll be up to starting work on the polishing tomorrow, I've got a fair bit on at the moment though so it may not happen until later this coming week.

And I want some good weather for riding the 125!!
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    3 broken ones
    Liked
    410 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the sig

Motorbike
    2 bangers
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you need a radiator?
    ive got one that needs retapping on the bleedpoint on the top, otherwise proper shmick.
    Im ham fisted at times lol.
    PM me if you need it

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the offer Gangus - again I'd already spent the cash!! I'm fairly happy to have obtained a unit that's only done a couple of track days, the new cost of one of these from The Tuning Works is pretty dear so I feel it's pretty fair value.

Turns out I was too late for the WP Damper, that had sold a little while before along with the Ohlins Rear Shock - so I would have missed it anyway (phew!).

The new parts have started rolling in, giving me some extra motivation to get this thing rolling again. I just need more time in the day to get to it, and a little more luck! The RS125 lost ignition on the LNR last Tuesday, and the service agent for the MR2 left the oil cap off the same day. *sigh* So I missed seeing Potato today with the freshly soda-blasted rims, which means they won't get to him until next week. Still, Alliance Rim Repairs did a great job with them, they'll turn out like new!
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little progress, I should really have taken some pictures...

First more on the rims. They were soda blasted and had some very mild machining performed on the front wheel lips due to slight scuffing. Now I'm a bit of a detail person and I can tell you that I was pretty impressed. The soda blasting was so delicate it left the metal near untouched - it preserved everything down to the fine machining marks that were invisible under the paint. I didn't even realise that Brembo made them until I checked out the lettering!

After some careful masking I took the rims to Potato on Saturday. I spent a while going through his millions of paint swatches with the aim was to find a dark charcoal/graphite that would compliment the Tyga carbon fibre. Thankfully it was a nice sunny day and I was able to see the colours in both full sun and also shade. I happened across Mazda's "Brilliant Carbon Grey" that looks like a pretty good match - it has a metallic flake that reflects the same browny-gold that the fibre weave shows in sun. Potato is going to add just a bit of extra black to make it a better match whilst in shade. I can't wait to see the result in two weeks time.

Some of the parts have started rolling in too. The Brembo discs arrived from AF1, all shiny and new. The standard metallic-gold centres will suit the rims and huggers tastefully. The bearings and seals arrived from The Two Stroke Shop and so it looks like the wheels will be ready to roll pretty soon. I'm thinking Pirelli Diablo Nero for rolling stock - they've got to be Italian and I think they're the right compromise of durability and traction for the job they'll be doing initially. Anyone have any recommendations for a tyre shop that won't scratch the rims when putting wheels on?

The Tyga rear sets arrived. Holy smoke they're quality! The level of polish is giving me something to aim for with the swing arm and frame. Speaking of the swing arm, I've been pretty busy working on that baby every time I have a spare hour or two. Tell you what, it's getting there - I test polished part of it today and it's a big improvement on the standard unit that's still attached to the frame. The frame should be easier as there are far less curves, then there's the top triple trees after that. Once they're all done it's time to get it rolling again! And find some donor fingers to replace the stumps that I'll have left over...

Still to arrive are the RaceTech gear for the front forks, Galfer braided brake lines, EBC pads, Renthal clip ons and after market levers - I was pretty wrapped to come across a set to suit the RS250 - German made and they even have Aprilia laser etched into them!

Photos to come.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    3 broken ones
    Liked
    410 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That stirred something deep inside me ^^

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250
    Liked
    55 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these the levers? They're the only decent ones I could find.

Motorbike
    One tard for the road, another for the track.
    Liked
    274 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May have missed it but are you getting racetech springs and/or the gold valves? Are you going to be doing it yourself or paying someone to take a look at it?

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them's the levers!! And yes to the Race Tech valves etc. which I won't be doing myself.

The shock seems to have a little rubbing just near the pinch points, I'll have to get that welded and painted/powder coated before they can be put together though.

Pro-bolt bits are on their way too - these wheels should look good with any luck. And the swingarm is turning out quite sensationally well, though there's still a bit to do...
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250
    Liked
    55 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loud,

Just wondering if you received your levers and what you think of them? Any probs with the company?
    Thanks

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya Mick, they arrived and they look great. My bedroom is chocked full of performance gear for the chassis, the wheels are painted and it's all just waiting on me to finish polishing the swing arm and frame. I keep thinking about taking a shortcut and just painting them, but really it's too beautiful to do that to. So patience for me.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    GSXR750
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't mess with the fairings or the engine, they're both a thing of beauty! I'd just go over the PV system, replace what need replacing, get some nice pipes on it and get it on the track where it belongs lovely bike though!

2001 GSXR750

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't stress, the fairings will stay original, though the colour scheme won't. The engine will be the original unit, but will be messed with plenty Just as soon as the RS125 is back up and running and the correct size Kaneg right angle valves arrive!
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember this one? It got put on the back burner but it’s now consuming most of my spare time. I’m pretty pleased with the progress over the last month or so, it currently looks like this:

Maybe it doesn’t look like much, but this is what has gone into it - sorry for the detail but I've been sick and bored on the lounge (maybe it'll help others looking for parts?):

Wheels – Factory Brembo cast alloy. Prestige Honda stripped the original bearings and tyres before Alliance Rim Repairs machined the gutter rash, Blast West stripped the paint, Straight Line 2 Ten applied some customized “Mazda Carbon Grey” to somewhat blend with the Carbon huggers. The Two Stroke Shop supplied all of the Cush Drive and Wheel bearings and seals which were installed by Embleton Engineering and Rick Gill motorcycles ordered the Ariete right angle valves before going to great lengths to install the Pirelli Rosso Corsa tyres without scratching anything – Liam was fantastic in the care he took. I topped them off with brand new OEM Brembo discs from AF1 Racing, a Renthal sprocket from The Tuning Works, Pro-bolt stainless fasteners and Titanium axle nut, and original axles that have been Black Zinc Passivated by Osborne Platers. Aside from many hours of research, couriering parts, masking and tapping, I also installed some Aprilia logo’d dust caps.

Forks – Factory Showa fully adjustable. AF1 supplied the RaceTech springs (recommended by them for my weight), Gold G2R Valves, new seals and bushes. This has specced them up them up to be far better than I’ll need anytime soon. Oh, the ‘o’ rings I sourced from Precision Motion Engineering, in case anyone ever wants to replace those too. Dyno Time then stripped the forks. The alloy lower ends were damaged by a previous owner in a slide, but repaired by RAM Wheelchairs then blasted by Blast West prior to Straight Line 2 Ten applying the same customized paint to these. They were then reassembled by Dyno Time. Pro-bolt supplied the pre-load adjusters. Again, more hours were spent masking and preparing these parts than I care to mention.

Frame – Standard Aprilia cast and forged anodized alloy. Sadly there were a few nicks in the frame, polishing to the depth required to blend them out rubbed right through the anodizing and so I had to consider my options. This issue was the largest determining factor in the colour scheme, which I’m happier with than my original idea. After I stripped the frame it was sent to Blast West before being painted to match the wheels. There are new electrical clips and well-plugs, and more Black Zinc Passivated bolts mixed in. Masking, blowing out blasting media, tapping, more masking, more tapping, cleaning bearing journals… this took some time to prepare and get right. The Tyga Rear Sets contrast nicely.

Swing-arm – Standard Aprilia cast and forged anodized alloy – Pretty much the same as the Frame, though Maddington Wreckers came to the rescue in removing the bearings, these things were a mission due to their type and location and needed a pretty fancy collet-style puller to get them out. The rough-cast sections were polished by me, the chain slide sourced from Rick Gills, the Carbon Hugger from Tyga Performance, the tensioner blocks were powder coated by Southside Powder Coating, and Pro-Bolt supplied the stainless tensioner bolts. Blast West blasted it, Straight Line 2 Ten painted it, my mate and I VERY CAREFULLY (we made the press more padded than a mental asylum cell) pressed in the new bearings supplied by The Two Stroke Shop, Osborne Platers Black-Zinced the spacers and bolts. The Stainless allen-key bolts holding the hugger on are factory.

Steering - New steering bearings and seals were installed at a mate’s workshop before slotting in the factory lower triple clamp and CNC / anodized Tyga upper clamp. These clamps were fitted with Probolt Stainless fasteners. There was also a lengthy failed process in de-anodizing, polishing and re-anodizing the factory cast top-triple clamp, it ended up a dull blue/black and in the “replace” box of factory parts, hence the Tyga. Renthal adjustable clip ons (these are nice!) and a Sprint adjustable steering damper from The Tuning Works, and Harris Ariete “RS” grips from PJME were fitted.

Rear shock – Nitron Race Unit. The factory shock and spring were looking very tired. The cost of reconditioning the stock shock was hefty (it’s not liked at all) and making it look new was going to be ridiculously involved. Add the cost of a correctly weighted spring and I decided that a replacement was cost effective. The Nitron 3-way adjustable Race unit set up for my weight seemed like a viable alternative, it’s probably overkill but the additional money over the 2-way unit seemed worthwhile. After all, who doesn’t need to control the High and Low speed rebound settings independently of each other… *cough*

Brakes – Factory Brembo. The 2 Stroke Shop supplied new seals (they’re impossible to get anywhere else it seems) for the calipers and master cylinders. I drained what I would consider the worst condition brake fluid (lumpy mocha) from the system, prior to stripping the units and cleaning 20 years of brake dust from them (it’s a 10 year old bike…). Amazingly the pistons and bores were flawless. I’m not sure whether the front calipers warrant a paint, the factory gold anodizing is a little lackluster. I reassembled them anyhow. Pro Bolt stainless jobies are on their way for the calipers themselves, but they’re used on the perches and mounting points. TTW supplied the Galfer stainless braided lines and the adjustable levers were a find and a half!

Subframe, Front Stay, Engine Cradle. The factory alloy and anodized engine cradle and subframe were both discoloured by a battery acid spill, so they were powder coated black by Southside Powder Coaters along with the pillion peg units. The glovebox, tail unit and rear light were all broken and replaced with new OEM parts from AF1. Some clear-lensed indicators were bought from eBay and are of the same quality as OEM. All other factory parts were thoroughly cleaned to new condition. There are a heap of alloy and stainless fittings on their way to replace any tired factory gear. Which owner thought to install tie-wire instead of a circlip for the pillion peg, I’ll never know!

Side Stand. Yep, the side stand. It rates a special mention as I’m most proud of it. The poor thing had taken damage, so I filed it smooth, stripped it, then had it blasted and powdercoated. The springs are Black Zinc Passivated. The switch terminal was bent, I had to straighten this whilst applying the correct silicone to seal it back up again. Now it’s better than new! ...In fact there are a bunch of other stock parts that have been cleaned up just as nicely, with a few parts replaced with new ones to ensure an as-new bike with maximum reliability.

And that’s where I’m up to. The fairings are with Straight Line 2 Ten for a little repair and paint, in conjunction with WTF Graphics decal work. The rolling chassis heads there this weekend in fact. There’s a nice set of Jim Lomas stainless pipes on the way with carbon end cans and a combined Zeeltronic Powervalve and ignition system too. The engine is disassembled and parts are soon off to the 2-stroke Institute for a bit of work by EEKNOWS, prior to receiving plenty of powder coating and bling

I'm building up a pretty good box of used parts, if anyone is in need then let me know.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes ninjaa, Sharky liked this post

Motorbike
    Benelli Tornado 900RS (Sadlt Sold), TnT R160 & Victory Judge :-)
    Liked
    311 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kick ass project, u should be hell proud of ur work so far :-)

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250
    Liked
    55 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to come have a look when I get back from Thailand. Looks great
    RS 250 - TTW Heads, Cougar PVs, Arrow Pipes, Gilles Rear Sets, Tyga Rear Tail, Hel Braided Lines,
    Paint job by Potato (Straightline2Ten)

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I am pretty happy with it so far. Mick you're welcome to come and have a look anytime mate - bring your RS with you when you do

I know it looks quite dark right now, the fairings and pipes will lighten it up don't you worry!
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250
    Liked
    55 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries mate. Just looked at the pic again and your forks are back to front. The calipers should be at the rear of them.
    RS 250 - TTW Heads, Cougar PVs, Arrow Pipes, Gilles Rear Sets, Tyga Rear Tail, Hel Braided Lines,
    Paint job by Potato (Straightline2Ten)
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    No worries mate. Just looked at the pic again and your forks are back to front. The calipers should be at the rear of them.
    Wow well this is a little embarassing... I think it's the pleats (Anchorman?)!

Thanks for pointing that out - the bike is loosely assembled at the moment so that the panels can be mocked up for painting - potato and BlackFZR need to set up the pinstriping so there are continuous lines flowing from fairings to tank etc. It's all coming apart again for final assembly once that's done - there are shiny bolts to replace the factory ones and I'll be marking everything I torque to make sure it's safe

I took plenty of photos which I'll refer to for final assembly, not to mention the manual - I have to admit that the rear brake line routing has me stumped, I'll definitely need the photos for that!
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"