Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^

Thank you Mr Strom, it will suit our needs perfectly!

If it can withstand the wind and my horrendous attempt at gardenscaping, it will be a great addition.
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Motorbike
    K8 GSXR1000, Honda Blackbird
    Liked
    161 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReCon View Post
    Thread revival Garden Man!

Am about to clear an area out the front to put in a shrub[?] type boundary 'fence'. It will be fairly well watered but I am not wanting a water dependant plant.

It needs to be wind tolerant, leafy, and pretty well indestructable. Fast growing is great too as would love some height relatively fast compared to most plants, as can trim it back when required.

So, PSB Horticulturalists, can you please advise me of a shrub/ bush thingo that will happily traverse about 10 metres and be basically bomb- proof?

Thank ya karndly.
    Try a Japanese honeysuckle. Its a vine though, not a shrub. But it can be made to bush with training. Mine is filling up a dead corner of the garden that wasn't really useful for producing plants due to the lack of sunlight the area gets.

Mine doesn't get watered much at all now its established. Does get munched by bugs occasionally, however if it does get eaten it grows back twice as thick and fast. Handles harsh pruning well. And the honey-like fragrance it gives off in summer evenings is fantastic. I put it right up there with lavender and port-wine magnolias.

Plus my niece and nephew love it because you can pick the flowers off and suck the sugar-sweet nectar out of them.

If you need a shrub, go a port-wine magnolia. The flowers open in the evenings and make the area smell like bubblegum.

As for lily pilys, make sure you get a psylid resistant variety. Psylids aren't going to kill the plant but they leave unsightly bumps on the leaves from their eggs.
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murraya paniculata

Motorbike
    05 Ninja 636, 09 CBR600
    Liked
    146 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Yep. I have Murraya hedges out the front. They made a slow start but now they're rocketing up. Lots of nice little white flowers too. Another option may be Viburnum?

Motorbike
    2011 Honda CBR250R
    Liked
    134 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gardening megathread

We have Lilly pilly plants at home and work and they are great for hedges. Fast growing and if trimmed they really thicken out. We have the red star variety and looks really pretty when the red comes out.

We brought ours from John Coles nursery dirt cheap and fairly decent sized plants. They have loads of varieties down there.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wisteria?
    Colorful fast growing drought tolerant,likes alkaline soil--need little water.
    Can get a tad patchy --at times........ summer flowering..messy cleanup??

Bouganvillia...or is that bogunvillia?
    Good security fence as well..."Nice thorns...!"
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was hoping for something a little softer Chew, and have more 'green'?

Will take up a fair amount of block frontage. Any other suggestions ?

Also have this new allergy pup that seems to react with everything , so would be a bit of a risk seeing that she would likely love the smell of it.
    More "green"?? I don't understand?

How about this?

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloody 'ell!

Thanks all for the suggestions Wasn't expecting so many choices!

Will chat with the boss and see what she wants to put in, and what the new dog isn't allergic to.
    Found out today that Buffalo grass is a no-no , plus another plant that we aren't able to find yet as she does it in secret. Welts up like nothing I've seen.

chew- we have a bit of Rosmeary out the back mate and it seems to stay a prickly, light green colour. Unsure if there are variances, so will poke around the garden sections.
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Motorbike
    848,748r,900ssfe
    Liked
    950 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Walk around the area you live in , find what is growing well in the unloved gardens , This will help picking plants that suit your area

Motorbike
    2 strokes
    Liked
    249 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any experience propagating venus fly traps?
    I have a reasonably health vft that is going to flower, 3 stalks have appeared in the last week.

From what I have read it is best to cut the flowers off as left to bloom they can stress the plant out.

On the flip side it seems I can propagate it by cutting and planting the flower stalks. Anyone done this with success? I'll have 3 goes at it.

Motorbike
    ShedFullaDeadZeds
    Liked
    819 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody 'ell!

Thanks all for the suggestions Wasn't expecting so many choices!

Will chat with the boss and see what she wants to put in, and what the new dog isn't allergic to.
    Found out today that Buffalo grass is a no-no , plus another plant that we aren't able to find yet as she does it in secret. Welts up like nothing I've seen.

chew- we have a bit of Rosmeary out the back mate and it seems to stay a prickly, light green colour. Unsure if there are variances, so will poke around the garden sections.
    Just for the record, if your vet recommends any sort of antihistamine for your dog ask them if you can use 2mg polaramine.
    They will tell you yes, then make all sorts of reasons up for why you should pay a higher amount for theirs.

It works really well on dogs with the only side effect being they may take a little nap if you give them too many.

Buy it from a chemist. It is a far cheaper option than atterax and other vet antihistamines.

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvlee View Post
    Anyone have any experience propagating venus fly traps?
    I have a reasonably health vft that is going to flower, 3 stalks have appeared in the last week.

From what I have read it is best to cut the flowers off as left to bloom they can stress the plant out.

On the flip side it seems I can propagate it by cutting and planting the flower stalks. Anyone done this with success? I'll have 3 goes at it.
    I am not an expert and have no experience with those plants but I suspect division is probably your best bet.
    Break the old plant out of its pot, gently pull the soil away from the roots and the 3 smaller shoots will *I think* be seperate. Put them all in their own pots, say a few nice words to them and let them do their thing.

Motorbike
    2007 Ducati Monster 695
    Liked
    71 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just planted 30 coffee seeds. Fingers crossed in 3 years I will be roasting from home!

Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster 695 View Post
    Just planted 30 coffee seeds. Fingers crossed in 3 years I will be roasting from home!
    Really??? I thought coffee was subtropical (around 15-24 degrees) and not frost tolerant?
    Would be great to grow your own coffee, good on you for trying
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XSorXpire View Post
    Just for the record, if your vet recommends any sort of antihistamine for your dog ask them if you can use 2mg polaramine.
    They will tell you yes, then make all sorts of reasons up for why you should pay a higher amount for theirs.

It works really well on dogs with the only side effect being they may take a little nap if you give them too many.

Buy it from a chemist. It is a far cheaper option than atterax and other vet antihistamines.
    Many thanks and massive LIKE Neil!

The little Boxer seems to find allegen everywhere in our yard, so had to administer 2 on Sunday. Did the job very well, and naps did ensure, but they were vet branded and very spendy.

Motorbike
    2 strokes
    Liked
    249 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonky View Post
    I am not an expert and have no experience with those plants but I suspect division is probably your best bet.
    Break the old plant out of its pot, gently pull the soil away from the roots and the 3 smaller shoots will *I think* be seperate. Put them all in their own pots, say a few nice words to them and let them do their thing.
    I think they are a bit too delicate to split. I accidentally tapped one of the big traps on the outside and it closed up, they are quite sensitive.
    I was able to split a couple of sundews a while back and they survived but they were much easier to work with.
    The reading suggests that you should cut the flowers off or if you want to propagate cut as much of the stalk off and plant it.

Here are the flower stalks

and I've carefully removed them and planted them

Be interesting to see if they take!

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of a supplier of good quality soil. The amazon and richgrow stuff the soils suppliers are flogging is a bit shit in my opinion. I am almost tempted to drive down south and bring a trailer load back with me. I am aiming to fill some vege tanks.

Also rgvlee how are the vft's?

Motorbike
    05 Ninja 636, 09 CBR600
    Liked
    146 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try green life soil company out in Midvale. I've used them a bit and like their product.
    Likes Ryanoceros, stromrider liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonky View Post
    Does anyone know of a supplier of good quality soil. The amazon and richgrow stuff the soils suppliers are flogging is a bit shit in my opinion. I am almost tempted to drive down south and bring a trailer load back with me. I am aiming to fill some vege tanks.

Also rgvlee how are the vft's?
    What are you gonna be growing, and how much do you need ?? +1 for GLSC, I haven't tried their stuff first-hand but the way they talk about it seems like it should be ok. Your best bet is to get the majority from a big company and then spend some time improving it yourself

Motorbike
    650 wee-strom
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Green Life. Have used them quite often
    If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.