249 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonky View Post
    Also rgvlee how are the vft's?
    Unfortunately my vft is on it's last legs at the moment. It suffered a bit this summer.
    Same with my sundews they were going great then bam dead over the space of 2 weeks.
    I managed to get just over 3 years out of the vft, my longest yet, and longer for the sundews.

Bunnings has started stocking them again so I've taken the opportunity to grab a few more while they are available, I've even picked up a decent sized nepenthe which is going great at the moment. It's pumped out 2 new leaves over the last couple of weeks. I'll take some photos.
    Overall I'm getting better at caring for them. They are very picky and the require a specific set of conditions to thrive. I'm going to build a greenhouse hopefully later this year which should assist.

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks for the tips. I agree improving the soil myself is a good idea but as I live alone I simply cannot produce enough compost to feed everything I want to grow. ie leafy greens and salad stuff, herbs and some veges. I want to get everything planted before the end of may so that its producing in springtime.

I am determined to do this as organically as possible. Eliminating herbicides and pesticides is easy as there are plenty of natural solutions but feeding the plants is a challenge for me.

Also I have just started a citrus growing experiment. I have taken cuttings from lemon, lime and mandarin trees and have started them in pots to see if they take.

Motorbike
    Yamaha Road Star 1600
    Liked
    18 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I have just started a citrus growing experiment. I have taken cuttings from lemon, lime and mandarin trees and have started them in pots to see if they take.
    Your citrus trees may strike, but they'll be prone to some debilitating diseases. I've planted a lime tree three years ago and its flourishing. A year ago, I grafted a yellow and a red grapefruit to it. I get three crops of limes a year and now I've just got my first crop of grapefruit off the grafts. I have just finished grafting a lemon to my sweet navel orange tree. Should look brilliant in a few years with yellow and orange fruit hanging from the one tree.

All my stone fruit tress (plum, nectarine, peach and apricot) are double grafted with one side being an early crop and the other side being a late crop; so I get an extended season of fruit, not a big rush of fruit all at once.
    Life seems more precious when there's less of it to waste.
    Likes GsxInShed, wonky, stromrider liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK thanks for the tips. I agree improving the soil myself is a good idea but as I live alone I simply cannot produce enough compost to feed everything I want to grow. ie leafy greens and salad stuff, herbs and some veges. I want to get everything planted before the end of may so that its producing in springtime.

I am determined to do this as organically as possible. Eliminating herbicides and pesticides is easy as there are plenty of natural solutions but feeding the plants is a challenge for me.

If you live near horsey people go and swipe there stable sweepings for a compost pile. They are usually more than happy if you rock up in a trailer with a shovel.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ +10 Forse horse poo...^^^^

Sheep and cow ...the same rule applies........pick it up yosef...and generally get for free.//

although lots of adverts for bulk bagsfull in metro...just out region in Pert......happy 'Unting.......
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I do have a stable nearby whom I am friends with but the last time I used their poo I got a garden full of nutgrass/crab grass/some sort of annoying shit grass. But I'll give it another go.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They may take, but all the citrus plants you can buy in Western Australia will be grafted. Our soil is not conducive to successful citrus growing, and they will struggle with getting enough water (like most exotic plants here). Your best bet is to do something similar to Scrap and graft other citrus varieties onto a successfully growing plant, that way they'll have the rootstock from the grafted citrus but you'll have different fruits cropping up. There was a group in the states that grafted 40 different varieties of fruiting trees onto one base plant, so you get different fruits growing throughout the year along with all the different colours and smells associated. Australia is very, very far behind in that sort of innovative gardening thinking

Actually I do have a stable nearby whom I am friends with but the last time I used their poo I got a garden full of nutgrass/crab grass/some sort of annoying shit grass. But I'll give it another go.
    If there's stuff like that in it, give it a miss. You'll spend the rest of your days trying to eradicate the weeds from your patch. Start strong and buy/acquire stuff that's either got no weedy plants in it , or only has stuff like rye grass and lupins because you can constantly turn them over for more organic matter making them easier to control. Bulbous weeds like nutgrass and crabgrass are a PITA to control because you have to use really intense herbicides and a lot of effort to get the entire bulb network out of the ground.

Do you have any ideas on what plants you specifically want to grow? Or will you just chuck some seedlings in and see what takes off and what doesn't ?

You could also build up your patch using a variety of different materials (composts, manures, other organic matter, and worms make a good starting point for anything), and there's lots of good soil recipes for growing vegetables in Perth floating around the internet. If I find any good ones specifically for Perth I'll post them up here. Good soil and water make up the biggest part of successful growing with vegetables, if you can get those two right there will be very little that wont flourish in your garden.

Moving on to what I'm doing, I've decided to give Daffodils and Tulips a crack this year. My mum loves both of them and I've never grown any bulbs other than Hyacinths before, so it'll be a bit of trial and error until I get it right. I planted hundreds of Nasturtiums last year in pots, and now they're getting big enough to put in the garden. The plan is to let them run wild in the garden until we decide what to do with it. They will keep the weeds a bit more subdued, and if I ever want to pull them out I can just wait until summer when the heat hits and they'll get knocked down. They've started popping up in the paving, so I think I'm on the money. All my greenhouses are back from our storage unit so I think it's time for more mid-winter tomato growing
    Likes wonky liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    They may take, but all the citrus plants you can buy in Western Australia will be grafted. Our soil is not conducive to successful citrus growing, and they will struggle with getting enough water (like most exotic plants here). Your best bet is to do something similar to Scrap and graft other citrus varieties onto a successfully growing plant, that way they'll have the rootstock from the grafted citrus but you'll have different fruits cropping up. There was a group in the states that grafted 40 different varieties of fruiting trees onto one base plant, so you get different fruits growing throughout the year along with all the different colours and smells associated. Australia is very, very far behind in that sort of innovative gardening thinking
    CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I have access to an orange tree that is quite healthy but not producing fruit so I am going to google the shit out of grafting and have a go at making a 4 fruit citrus tree. I'll get back to you in a few years and let you know how they're going...

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I have access to an orange tree that is quite healthy but not producing fruit so I am going to google the shit out of grafting and have a go at making a 4 fruit citrus tree. I'll get back to you in a few years and let you know how they're going...
    Should only take a few weeks to see if they take or not. I'll await your pics

Motorbike
    GSXR 600
    Liked
    286 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my day today was pulling out the 12 year old hedge... It was the native rosemary (known as Coastal Rosemary, or Westringia fruticosa I believe).
    It's served us well, but got infected with some sort of fungus, killing the lower levels, and it just wouldn't grow much, and looked straggly... But after 12 years, i was impressed it was soooOooOOo good anyway. So now its gone and we're looking for a replacement for it.

The soil is sandy, black/yellow/grey sands (Spearwood Dune system I believe, maybe some Bassendean Sands). The hedge is along the front of the property, between us and the neighbours, surrounded by grass on all sides.
    The area to be planted is about 1m wide, by about 12m. Must be low maintenance, and grow tight like a box hedge... We really like both our neighbours, so its not to give us privacy, rather just for a feature, so won't grow higher than ~1m... A native would be preferred (I am an enviro after all)... colour/flowers not important, it just can't drop leaves... low maintenance is the most important bit...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
    "Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over"

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any prostate/low growing banksia..Hybrid gum is awesome.....or maybe some succulents... the weekend gardening australia had some awesome stuff...

some do/will flourish in shit to average soil...happy gardens'
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been a long cold winter that has slowed progress in the garden however I have found some healthy productive citrus trees to take cuttings from and try my first grafting experiment. the rootstock is this orange tree that put out a lot of fruit early in the winter

these are the scions (?) to graft into the tree. I have 3 x lemons 3 x limes and 3 x mandarins. I made a L shaped cut and lifted the bark a little to slip the cutting underneath and then taped it up as tight as possible

And the attempt

2 weeks later the bandage comes off and the result

I guess from here its just a matter of wait and see what happens.
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck wonky . I've got a Red centre lime and a green finger lime growing out in my yard, if you're successful you could come grab some cuttings from them. At $28 each I think it's worth experimenting

Motorbike
    A Blek one.....
    Liked
    319 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oiy Ryan, How much are established Mandarine Trees from your work please.?????

I already have 2 different small ones, but am after a biggun that will fruit next season.
    What You See

Isn't always what you get

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The garden centre on Gnangara Road has good sized citrus... very reasonable prices and a good variety to select from.
    Can't think of the name... right around the current heavy roadwords/widening.

edit:

Tony & Sons.
    Address: 713 Gnangara Rd, Lexia (Landsdale) WA 6079
    Phone:(08) 9302 1137

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.
    Likes TROUBLE liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    Oiy Ryan, How much are established Mandarine Trees from your work please.?????

I already have 2 different small ones, but am after a biggun that will fruit next season.
    Usually ~$100. Any advanced citrus will be really pricey, you're better off buying a cheap one and leaving it to grow up for a year or two. There's a place on Armadale road that sells advanced citrus, but I've never been there and it looks like a bit of a backyard operation. At Bunnings (back in the day) we got them in for a customer and the retail price was $120.

Motorbike
    A Blek one.....
    Liked
    319 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iv'e seen that one on the leFt on Armadale Road at forrestdale Just past the rAB ON THE LEFT.????
    What You See

Isn't always what you get

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeP THATS THE ONE

I think a mandarin is next on my gardening agenda. I successfully grew daffodils for the first time this year, bloody stoked Hahahaha.

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    Iv'e seen that one on the leFt on Armadale Road at forrestdale Just past the rAB ON THE LEFT.????
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    yeP THATS THE ONE

I think a mandarin is next on my gardening agenda. I successfully grew daffodils for the first time this year, bloody stoked Hahahaha.
    FFS.

Not only are these two getting along now, but they've also actually got something in common.

Clearly, the end of the world is nigh.

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.
    Likes TROUBLE, BikeONE liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a "Ruse..."

That's a tree ..eh?