Thread: Camping megathread.

Liked
    60 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics .. what a trip ! Don't rush home, it's freezing and hail right now !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Crims
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Quinkan Rock Art near Laura if you are interested in that sort of thing, it's prolific as rock painting goes.
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    Check out the Quinkan Rock Art near Laura if you are interested in that sort of thing, it's prolific as rock painting goes.
    It is highly recommended but was closed for the afternoon when we went there.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new series - Speed Dealer tries living in a tent for 9 weeks

So I'm currently working on a project about 90mins from Mildura. In a town called Robinvale. There's 2 small motels and 2 caravan parks with over 200 workers vying for a spot in the motels or cabins. Those who can't get in, have to do the 3hr commute each day from and to Mildura

I've been lucky so getting accommodation, but the workforce is about to go up to 300 so I've accepted my luck will run out. But there's no bloody way I'm doing a 3hr commute every day!

There is however plenty of spots at the caravan park for tents. So I'm going to try living in my Oztent for the next 9 weeks.

We get $218 per day for living away expenses. A powered site is going to cost me $25/night as opposed to the $120/night I was paying for a cabin.

I've been back in Melbourne on leave this week. I go back next week...I'm gonna be taking 'glamping' to the next level!

-Oztent with front awning walls giving me 4.6m x 2.4m of living area.
    - Bar fridge
    - Microwave
    - 1m wide stretcher with my swag mattress and heated blanket.
    - 2.5kw portable air conditioner (just in case it warms up in coming weeks)
    - Laptop with internet.

I'll post up photos once I'm setup next week.
    Last edited by Speed Dealer; 16-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Likes keys, QUACKA, Ridges, Cam87, Graelin and 4 others liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 weeks living in a tent - Week 1 - Setting up

Arrived today and setup everything. Will have to run into Mildura this weekend and grab an RCD box from Bunnings...fun fact: electricians are often blasť when it comes to the electrics in their own dwelling I am no exception.

But I reckon it's gonna be pretty comfortable. Microwave, fridge, air con, heater, electric blanket 50Mbps WiFi internet.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    9 weeks living in a tent - Week 1 - Setting up

Arrived today and setup everything. Will have to run into Mildura this weekend and grab an RCD box from Bunnings...fun fact: electricians are often blasť when it comes to the electrics in their own dwelling I am no exception.

But I reckon it's gonna be pretty comfortable. Microwave, fridge, air con, heater, electric blanket 50Mbps WiFi internet.

Very nice camp. Needs Oz Trail Cascade 8 position recliner chair with side table for full glam but aircon is a nice touch.

I'll be doing a night stop around there on 12-13/9. Maybe beer if you are around.
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    Very nice camp. Needs Oz Trail Cascade 8 position recliner chair with side table for full glam but aircon is a nice touch.

I'll be doing a night stop around there on 12-13/9. Maybe beer if you are around.
    Sounds good mate. Are you coming by Robinvale/Euston? We can grab a steak at the Euston Hotel.

About to have a mate swing by for a beer and sitting in the front area with the heater going. Its 7 degrees outside and I'm very comfortable in the tent in a tshirt. I think this is going to work out ok.
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Sounds good mate. Are you coming by Robinvale/Euston? We can grab a steak at the Euston Hotel.

About to have a mate swing by for a beer and sitting in the front area with the heater going. Its 7 degrees outside and I'm very comfortable in the tent in a tshirt. I think this is going to work out ok.
    Will drop in for sure. Was going to stop around Mildura anyway and the plan is to exit Bondi before 04:00 to beat traffic, so Robinvale late afternoon works.

Liked
    973 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can throw an extra tarp over the top - with an air gap.

Will stop the condensation when it gets cold, and it'll help a lot when it heats up.

My experience with those portable cooler units is that they're ... lacking.
    But that was about 20 years ago.
    How good are they now?

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    See if you can throw an extra tarp over the top - with an air gap.

Will stop the condensation when it gets cold, and it'll help a lot when it heats up.

My experience with those portable cooler units is that they're ... lacking.
    But that was about 20 years ago.
    How good are they now?
    They're good. It's a proper 2.5kw refrigerated air con not one of those ones you add water too.

I've got the Oztent fly over the bit of the tent where I sleep which makes a big difference to inside temp.

Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 years ago a bloke asked me to aircon his tent.

Part owner of a f@%king big cattle station in the Kimberley and worked in a town as a silent partner.

I asked why.

He takes his kids out camping on the station, they have gensets buried near their favourite sites. He grew up sleeping under the stars and now liked to have a beer in his tent and watch videos while the kids enjoyed the outdoors and he wanted A/C as it got a bit hot sometimes. Wanted a frame built to take a roomie. I told him he was a soft prick, harden the f%@uck up and we were not A/C'ing his tent.

After another incident, heart attack, he cut down on the piss (carton a night), lost weight and started enjoying life outdoors with his kids again.

Not suggesting this is you at all Speed Dealer but seriously.....an A/C in a tent? Still, better than an open flame or bar heater I suppose.

You can get those portables up to 4.5kw cooling capacity now. Equivalent of what used to be called a 1.5hp.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    30 years ago a bloke asked me to aircon his tent.

Part owner of a f@%king big cattle station in the Kimberley and worked in a town as a silent partner.

I asked why.

He takes his kids out camping on the station, they have gensets buried near their favourite sites. He grew up sleeping under the stars and now liked to have a beer in his tent and watch videos while the kids enjoyed the outdoors and he wanted A/C as it got a bit hot sometimes. Wanted a frame built to take a roomie. I told him he was a soft prick, harden the f%@uck up and we were not A/C'ing his tent.

After another incident, heart attack, he cut down on the piss (carton a night), lost weight and started enjoying life outdoors with his kids again.

Not suggesting this is you at all Speed Dealer but seriously.....an A/C in a tent? Still, better than an open flame or bar heater I suppose.

You can get those portables up to 4.5kw cooling capacity now. Equivalent of what used to be called a 1.5hp.
    I'm not here to enjoy life outdoors. I'm here to work hard outdoors 10hrs a day, 13 days per fortnight and be comfortable once I get back to the tent. I've already done 7 weeks staying in a cabin. You get worn down after a while. I need to be as comfortable as possible when I finish work.