User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Common Mechanical Questions Megathread - How do I change my headlight fluid?

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Haha. Nah, sussed that shiz out. VW wanted about $900 for a service. When you broke it all down and did some yourself and left shit out that really didn't need doing it wasn't too bad. E.g. VW had as part of the oil change, replace sump plug - fuck that, just reuse the old one.

Learnt how to do an oil change - the biggest challenge is managing to get it up on an angle as there's fuck all clearance. Learnt how to change spark plugs and change the air filter. But yeah, everything else goes to a mechanic. Done 30000km in it - servicing hasn't cost me anything through a mechanic... yet!
    Replacing the washer, bit over the top every time but yeah okay. But replacing the plug every time, WTF?? Didn't know they used stretch bolts as sump plugs??
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
    Replacing the washer, bit over the top every time but yeah okay. But replacing the plug every time, WTF?? Didn't know they used stretch bolts as sump plugs??
    Just a way to make money I guess. That's why when they quoted me for a service I asked for a breakdown of what they were going to do.

If not for the Euro car tax I wouldn't have bothered learning how to do oil changes, spark plugs etc.
    Likes Geeman liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
    The new R1 clutch cover is all one time use bolts, there maybe others bolts aswell.

Not making enough money on parts so designed they need to be replaced - sealed gearboxes etc.
    Or probably more of the case cars are lasting too long and not being replaced more often.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    1988 GSF250P, 2010 Z1000, 2013 Z800
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    More something that's puzzling me and I ask out of curiosity rather than it being an issue that needs solving - does anyone have their automatically sensing windscreen wipers come on when the sun is low in the sky? My VW Golf GTI wipers are set to automatic and when the sun is low in the sky and am travelling directly into it, my wipers come on... Just wondering what is triggering it to think there's water on the windscreen.

Anyone else have this issue or do I just have a mutant variant? The Googles give me nothing.
    I have a 2017 Elantra SR turbo (el budget GTI) with auto wipers among other things, doesn't get set off by the sun... tis a little quirky tho like on the lower end of how much its raining sometimes it seems to go off for bugger all and then sometimes other cars are really misting up the screen and it takes a while to come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol new sump plug.

Maybe they should stop using fucking rattle guns to do them up.

Ahem Toyota.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they get taught how to use rattle guns..?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    Do they get taught how to use rattle guns..?
    Big Nut = 3 ughadogas
    Small Nut = 1 ughadoga
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medium nut = 2 ughadogas

I can do this..!
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I've been seen the recipe but haven't gotten around to making my own.
    a mate swears by this stuff - care to share?

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    I have a 2017 Elantra SR turbo (el budget GTI) with auto wipers among other things, doesn't get set off by the sun... tis a little quirky tho like on the lower end of how much its raining sometimes it seems to go off for bugger all and then sometimes other cars are really misting up the screen and it takes a while to come on.
    Might be too early to say but how has ownership been thus far?
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
    Might be too early to say but how has ownership been thus far?
    Loaded question, and I have a knack for ranting massive replies... haha. I've had it 15 months already though so here goes.

In short? Awesome, I LOVE this car. We're this age of Hyundai/KIA really maturing with cars like this and the i30SR (same car really but a hatch), i30N, stinger, and a heap of other very good models like SUV's etc.

It's really quite sporting (I got the 6MT trans), boost comes on early and hard (peaks at 17psi and tapers to 12 at redline), handles very well for what it is, very little body roll and just stays composed, tyres are the weakest link in the handling so I intend to get some much grippier ones like RE003's or PS4's when the stockies wear out. Interior is more than you'd expect for the price, yeah theres some hard plastics but it's not like you sit there touching them all the time. Infotainment is great, seats are great, basically all the standard kit in the SR is spot on. Little things really stand out to me, like a properly good (and sporty) gauge cluster, the centre console being ~6ish degrees tilted to face the driver, red stitching and accents, to mention just a few. Gets epic mileage, about 7-7.5L/100k in the city and 5.9-6.4 on the open road - properly fantastic IMO considering the performance on tap which I exploit often. It's equally at home zipping around perth as it is overtaking on Albany hwy, put the foot into 6th without downshifting and the rate it picks up speed is surprising and it just doesn't seem to care, 150+ comes up very fast and smooth and you look at the speedo like... wow. Cops don't give a fuck about it which is excellent, yet I love the way it looks, like a mini audi or something, I dunno it just looks good - but that's very opinion driven, I just often find myself looking back at it. It's a very dual personality car, the mrs (or me) can drive it about with ease and get great economy, but it can really press on when you want, rewarding to drive at 4/5ths basically - and you can because it's not a fire breathing beast. It's like the old saying "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

I'd imagine they're not as popular as the i30SR so deals on them should be great, sticker price is 28,990 + onroads and I walked away with a demo for 26 and some spare change all in.

Quick pros: Looks, performance, economy, spacious, affordable, tech, infotainment, safety, warranty, stealthy/sleeper (for a petrol head), sunroof, lots of aftermarket parts/tuning options coming onto the scene because this 1.6T is going in a LOT of hyundai/kia cars.
    Quick cons (nitpicking really): Brand (this is an issue for some, not me), no auto up/down on all 4 windows only driver, 'only' 50L tank which is more than adequate but if it were say even 60L the range would be insane, HID headlights not LED or conventional halogen which are easy to change for LED, not enough turbo badges (only 1 in the grille), no memory function for electric driver seat - genuinely a tad annoying because I'm a foot taller than the mrs and the seat moves slowly, horn isn't amazing.

If you're in the market for a small(ish) sedan/family hauler and want something that isn't an in vogue SUV and has some smile educing performance and dynamics, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not look at this/the i30SR, it really is a budget Golf GTI. Hyundai getting the former BMW M head honcho on board has transformed their offerings.
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

Likes Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, might have to go buy one.
    Why be a cunt about it?

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be wary of the turbo Diesel auto's they have had valve body issues...might be fixed by now but pre 2016 models may be iffy
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, might have to go buy one.
    100% worth a test drive. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but the more I drive it the more I like it.

Motorbike
    MT-09
    Liked
    88 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very tempted by the i30N, coming from an STi, Golf GTi and currently a WRX it seems to tick the right boxes. Only bummed that there is no auto because I'm getting old and lazy! Hyundai have certainly come a long way in terms of build fit and finish.
    Likes frenchie liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moshriff View Post
    Only bummed that there is no auto.
    And so there shouldn't be!

Quote Originally Posted by dwillia View Post
    maybe dust reflecting onto the glass with the sunlight?? I have a pre-tech 2009 prado so I haven't seen auto wipers. But if they're as bad as auto headlights I'm glad I don't
    Have tested this the last few mornings - it might well be dust causing it... I'm being anal like agrid and cleaning the winsdcreen before I drive into the sun on my morning commute in order to test the theory and it hasn't happened. Will resume normal filthy windscreen status and see.

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moshriff View Post
    I'm very tempted by the i30N, coming from an STi, Golf GTi and currently a WRX it seems to tick the right boxes. Only bummed that there is no auto because I'm getting old and lazy! Hyundai have certainly come a long way in terms of build fit and finish.
    Apparently a dual clutch is coming at some point.
    Why be a cunt about it?

Motorbike
    MT-09
    Liked
    88 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently a dual clutch is coming at some point.
    Yeah, 2nd half of 2019. Also a 6 month wait currently on the manual version now so they must be doing something right! Whilst I understand the sentiment of "true driving = manual" etc a decent auto will always be faster. Even the DSG in the VW with a tune is decent once they ironed the gremlins out of it

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autos should be outlawed... they allow even shittier drivers the ability to get behind the wheel.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Kristy, Tim the PM, thro liked this post

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kids ten years ago... "Its too hard, can't I just learn to drive in an automatic".
    Me ten years ago... "No, you will shame generations of our family".
    My kids today... "I'm glad you taught me to drive a manual".
    -
    Likes Kristy, frenchie liked this post