Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys,
    I noticed on my pre-ride check on Saturday that my bike (2000 GPX 250) has light surface rust on the top of the fork tubes. Does anyone know of a nice/easy way of removing it without damaging the chrome? I'd rather not have the fork seals fail prematurely due to the rust.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards
    Ryan

Motorbike
    rz250f
    Liked
    9 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it on the section of the stanchion that the fork seals slide over?
    if so, the only real fix is to have them rechromed. If there is rust, it's likely that the chrome is absent from that point. I've head of lots of other fixes, but in the long run replacement or rechroming may be your only option.
    No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brasso. test a small spot... it is a a mild abraisive and should be able to get rid of small rust specs.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stainless steel pot scourer (not the really fine wool kind) and some gentle scrubbing with water, dunno how you would reseal it though, also a scrunched up ball of aluminum foil works pretty well, use them to get spot rust off chromed fenders

amtrapid
    Guys,
    I noticed on my pre-ride check on Saturday that my bike (2000 GPX 250) has light surface rust on the top of the fork tubes. Does anyone know of a nice/easy way of removing it without damaging the chrome? I'd rather not have the fork seals fail prematurely due to the rust.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards
    Ryan [/b]
    Previously on some of my older dirt bikes i had the same problem , I found using a rust convertor such as INOX to be great. Personally I would only use abrasives as a last resort as they can aid in getting it clean but the down side is you generally remove more of the plating and leave very small particles of steel behind that can oxidise making the problem worse. The best thing is to get them replated but if ur on a budget INOX will neutralise the rust and an application regulary will prevent it reoccuring or spreading it doesnt damage fork seals either. Most automotive shops such as Repco sell it and its around $9 hope i helped

Motorbike
    Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
    Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used brasso & steel wool before on chrome, but wasn't sure about using it on the forks. I'll give it a shot in an hour when I get home from work.

cheers
    Ryan

amtrapid
    I have used brasso & steel wool before on chrome, but wasn't sure about using it on the forks. I'll give it a shot in an hour when I get home from work.

cheers
    Ryan [/b]
    Look above dude

Motorbike
    Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
    Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Armtrapid, thanx for the info I'll get the wife to grab some tomorrow and try it out.

amtrapid
    Armtrapid, thanx for the info I'll get the wife to grab some tomorrow and try it out. [/b]
    no prob

Hudo
    Why not try a bit of oil on a rag n elbow grease, if its just light surface rust and hasnt eaten in deep it will get rid of it ok and also protest it a bit too. if its deep...... abrasives like a light weight copper brush, wet n dry etc will get it off ok. howeva will also eat whateva protectant ie chtome a little tooo.M2C