Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    So me having my R/E for a couple months now can go buy a bigger bike and legally ride it after the 14th Jan 2013, and still go for my R class test before as long as its before 14 Jan 2014?
    From what I've read you can buy a bigger bike after 14/1/13 and ride it forever on your R/E as long as it's LAMS approved, so go buy a GT650R Hyo and ride till your 80

R-E class licence holders riding one of these models will have 12 months (from the date that LAMS is implemented) to either progress to an unrestricted R class licence or change to a LAMS approved motorcycle.
    If by bigger bike you mean an R class bike then I guess as long as you have R/E you can ride it as an R/E learner as it is now or until they close the loophole Filbert mentioned So if you buy a CBR600RR now you can ride it (with shadow of course) until you get your R class whenever that is

Motorbike
    English 675 Triple
    Liked
    113 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    From what I've read you can buy a bigger bike after 14/1/13 and ride it forever on your R/E as long as it's LAMS approved, so go buy a GT650R Hyo and ride till your 80

If by bigger bike you mean an R class bike then I guess as long as you have R/E you can ride it as an R/E learner as it is now or until they close the loophole Filbert mentioned So if you buy a CBR600RR now you can ride it (with shadow of course) until you get your R class whenever that is
    But the bike must still adhere to that 150kw/tonne (or whatever it is) and be LAMS approved. The CBR600RR is not LAMS approved. So you won't be able to ride on it

Motorbike
    2 Gixxers, and a Honda and no bloody Yammie!!
    Liked
    1579 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saj View Post
    But the bike must still adhere to that 150kw/tonne (or whatever it is) and be LAMS approved. The CBR600RR is not LAMS approved. So you won't be able to ride on it
    Well he could for a year, then he is expected to move onto R class or change to a LAMS bike as he is a currect RE rider
    Likes swerve5000 liked this post

Motorbike
    English 675 Triple
    Liked
    113 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHHH
    I read that wrong... With a shadow *facepalm*
    See I read that as he could jump straight on it and ride till his heart's content without a shadow.

*crawls back under his rock*

East, east, a bit north and a bit more east.
    Motorbike
    '09 RC8R & '02 ZX9-R
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably worth asking about how the 150kW/T is calculated. I have heard it is the power / wet weight of the bike plus 90kg for a rider while I had assumed it was just the power / weight of the bike (which can be given as wet or dry, depending on how the manufacturer feels on the day they release the spec sheets). Is this the case or has the normal disinformation conga line started its work already?
    Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons
    Likes Kloun liked this post

Motorbike
    Princess Buttercup & hanging off historic sidecar #9
    Liked
    4010 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Probably worth asking about how the 150kW/T is calculated. I have heard it is the power / wet weight of the bike plus 90kg for a rider while I had assumed it was just the power / weight of the bike (which can be given as wet or dry, depending on how the manufacturer feels on the day they release the spec sheets). Is this the case or has the normal disinformation conga line started its work already?
    In all reality, you don't need to worry about this, just work off the list of bikes that are allowed.

If it's not on the list, it's not allowed and good luck convincing a cop on the side of the road otherwise
    Likes thro, Erinski liked this post

Motorbike
    '94 Across
    Liked
    305 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and just as I was getting used to this bike, I have to sell it. Better start saving up I guess.

Thanks Barfridge, this is great news!
    How do blind people know when to stop wiping?

Motorbike
    Piaggio X7
    Liked
    21 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LAMS Calculation.jpg

Mmmmm.... roadside calculations

Motorbike
    2 Gixxers, and a Honda and no bloody Yammie!!
    Liked
    1579 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kia View Post
    and just as I was getting used to this bike, I have to sell it. Better start saving up I guess.

Thanks Barfridge, this is great news!

?? I thought you had a maroon ZZR?? what are you riding? Why would you have to sell it? If you are RE you can ride any LAMS bike, if you own a bike not on the LAMS list and have your RE you have a year to get your R's in that case you won't have to sell anything?

Motorbike
    '94 Across
    Liked
    305 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneville View Post
    ?? I thought you had a maroon ZZR?? what are you riding? Why would you have to sell it? If you are RE you can ride any LAMS bike, if you own a bike not on the LAMS list and have your RE you have a year to get your R's in that case you won't have to sell anything?
    GSX250f actually. I actually ran the numbers just then (financial and bike wise), turns out it's not much of a step up from my current bike in terms of power to weight. Oh well, I'll just save up for a year I guess.
    How do blind people know when to stop wiping?

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using the stickied ultimate LAMS threads in the vain hope other people will stop using the multitude of LAMS threads as there are some things we need to sort about this.

My interest is an employee using a 550cc bike for an R class practical test to transfer a not recognised international licence. Does he need to do the test before 14 January 2013?

Another LAMS thread has stated that R tests can only be done on a +660cc bike, claiming an unquoted Department of Transport document.

Having read the regulations and changes

(please see http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/FileStore.nsf/Documents/MRDocument:24345P/$FILE/RoadTrfcAuthntoDriveRegs2008-01-d0-00.pdf?OpenElement )

In particular, 6A.

From reading that an R class test can be done on a non LAMS bike. It is not restricted to a +660cc bike. it includes non LAMS bikes. I think the previous poster is wrong, or the Department of Transport is wrong. Any non LAMS bike should be OK for an R licence test.

So the plus 1 year RZ250 riders of this world should be able to rock up on their RE on their RZ250, and do their test and get an R licence, anytime.

Do you agree?

Motorbike
    ZX10 B1, DR650SE, 250 trackie
    Liked
    371 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate lams.
    But, I was of the understanding that the R Class test would have to be over 660cc. Not just any bike that's not on the list.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SIKYSA View Post
    I hate lams.
    But, I was of the understanding that the R Class test would have to be over 660cc. Not just any bike that's not on the list.
    That is a fair comment from what I understand the website has published (and I've not seen it) but it does not accord with what I have read in the amendments to the Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Regulations 2008.

Not that I would suggest that a pubic servant would try and let slide an easy out in some crap published on their website, namely, to say "R class test must be on a +660cc bike". <<Insert largish smiles here>>

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250
    Liked
    55 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AZAZL
    I would think you're right with the assumption that as long as the bike isn't a lams bike you could sit your test on it. If I need a R class to ride my RS, then surely it's a bike I could use for the test.
    RS 250 - TTW Heads, Cougar PVs, Arrow Pipes, Gilles Rear Sets, Tyga Rear Tail, Hel Braided Lines,
    Paint job by Potato (Straightline2Ten)

Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my thoroughly un-sporty RZ is LAMs legal? Woo-hoo
    Likes thro liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10 B1, DR650SE, 250 trackie
    Liked
    371 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is it that they've been considering this system for almost 3 years, had numerous other states they can copy.... and still fuck it up to the point that we're having to ask these types of questions?

I mean fuck, really? Good work.
    Likes speadyism liked this post

Liked
    796 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKYSA View Post
    How is it that they've been considering this system for almost 3 years, had numerous other states they can copy.... and still fuck it up to the point that we're having to ask these types of questions?

I mean fuck, really? Good work.
    Because it's being run by a government mate. They are universally retarded and will take every opportunity available to cock things up.
    Likes Klown06 liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the sleazy little pubic serpent "easy out". Maybe they dont want to have to decide what is a LAMs bike.

Someone quoted it in another thread, but it is on their website:

Implementation of LAMS will mean that unrestricted R class practical assessments may only be undertaken on motorcycles with power-to-weight ratio exceeding 150kw/t and engine capacity exceeding 660cc.

It is here:

Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)

Well the F*ckup morons at department of transport better sort that one out and leave off the "_AND_ 660cc".

If they fuck my driver around getting his R on my unrestricted SXV they'll have a psycho in their face.

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surely it's a typo/cockup otherwise you couldn't take your test on a 600 supersports
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    surely it's a typo/cockup otherwise you couldn't take your test on a 600 supersports
    Hey, stop spoiling my fun. I love doing the rabid psychopath thing in packed pubic serpent orifices. Especially when I get a little spittle up.