Liked
    578 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenD View Post
    Why not just put everybody on Mod approval for every post, change the forum skin to beige and be done with it?

You've got a very broad membership on PSB and with it comes a very broad value and opinion base. Couple that with the fact that there are those members who are bleeding hearts and social crusaders and then there are those whom have a slightly more macabre outlook on life. And they sometimes post in the same threads. That's always going to lead to friction, it's life. It's what being an adult is all about.

The problem with forum moderation is more often than not, the context of what is being said is not ( or cannot be ) accounted for. This is particularly true if humor is involved. I find racism, sexism and plenty of other socially unacceptable isms hilarious. Not because I hate any particular group for being what they are but partly because the notion of hating upon that sole basis is hysterically absurd to me. There are way better reasons to hate people. But mostly I find it amusing just how much power people have let mere words, idle chit chat and non-relevant opinions have over them.

In the cases of perceived racism, sexism, homophobia and to a far lesser extent (for some inexplicable reason) theological vilification how will the mods decide on what are valid perceptual, philosophical, cultural (or other -ual) influenced differences in opinion and what is a universe shattering, time ending, nasty name calling, playground spat? This isn't a rhetorical question, I think we all really need to know. Otherwise, any conversations between Alice the Jewish lesbian and Bob the fundamentalist Sunni are quite likely going to be ban-stick bait and banning or censoring that discourse could logically and rightly be perceived under the moderation rationale as racist, sexist, homophobic and religious bigotry.

Would it not be easier, simpler and more beneficial to the development of social immunity skills to simply use the "ignore" functions if somebody saying stuff you don't like is breaking your bones? The last decade of this same crap obviously hasn't prevented the complaints from members from still coming in, though it has certainly had an effect on the creativity and memorability of the threads.

You do see the "lower the speed limit" analogy that this approach has, yeah?

I miss you.
    Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
    One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
    . .

Motorbike
    ShedFullaDeadZeds
    Liked
    819 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    I suspect the lack of moderation being required lately is due to the user-base finding a bit of equilibrium (by that, i mean knowing what is ok, and when the regulars are taking the piss to be funny rather than to be a dick) after the mass influx of new users a few years ago, and some of the career trolls either moving on to other things or growing up.

But then i didn't see how much went on prior to last year...
    I'll never grow up.