681 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderation

Guys, gals and kids,

After some deliberation and feedback from our member base, we have decided to adjust the way moderators and staff address issues in posts.

From now on, if you post contrary to PSB's terms of use (eg racism, abusive, etc) you will receive either a 24 hr posting ban (mod approve) or a complete 24 hr ban from PSB altogether. No warnings, no sliding scale.

All users will be addressed the same ad infracted the same. No bias, no favourtism, nothing. The same action will result in the same reaction across the board.

However if the mods feel that a certain user is not learning or adjusting their posting to fit into PSB, deliberately posting to inflame or bragging about their infractions, then staff will review the user to see if further action is warranted.

We want you to self moderate. We want the fun times of PSB to return. Not the spiteful, antagonistic attitude that is prevalent at the moment. We are removing the possibility for bias or confusion over different infraction levels or lengths to help balance moderating out and put the emphasis back on users self moderating

Help us turn PSB back to where it use to be.
    Last edited by Brougham; 10-02-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: humour removed
    Likes potato, eejay, Graelin, Maxo, madscientist59 and 15 others liked this post

Liked
    681 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderation

This is not a 'have a whinge about the past' thread
    Likes Deborah, Goldmember liked this post

Motorbike
    KLR650
    Liked
    1084 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brougham View Post

.......From now on, if you post contrary to PSB's terms of use (eg racism, abusive, etc) you will receive ..........

........if a user is not learning or adjusting their posting to fit into PSB......

Help us turn PSB back to where it use to be.
    I have adjusted my posting to fit into PSB, by not taking the piss as much, or poking sticks into raw spots.

'Where it used to be' will never come back while there is tighter moderation. (which seems to be needed as PSB becomes PC)

Or is this post about self moderation a 'go for it, the worst you will get is 24 hours holiday?'
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Liked
    681 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderation

Definitely not

Liked
    2891 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfibre View Post
    'Where it used to be'
    Where is that, exactly?

I'm a hundred percent for any rules anybody wants to put on their playground, but this is probably slightly misleading.

Back to 2009? 2006? 2011?

It's a fluid, evolving thing. People will come and go, the 'place' will change because it really isn't a place. It's just people, and people change. That collective is different now than it was six months ago, and in six months it'll be different again.

Bring the simple ruleset in and enforce it if that's the way to handle it, but it's going to make the job harder on yourselves to try and model it back to an arbitrary point in time or fight the flow of whatever something that is entirely community dependant is going to make itself.
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Likes Spook liked this post

Motorbike
    XJ900
    Liked
    173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfibre View Post
    I have adjusted my posting to fit into PSB, by not taking the piss as much, or poking sticks into raw spots.

'Where it used to be' will never come back while there is tighter moderation. (which seems to be needed as PSB becomes PC)

Or is this post about self moderation a 'go for it, the worst you will get is 24 hours holiday?'

You've changed darkfibre!

Motorbike
    '03 R1
    Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brougham View Post
    This is not a 'have a whinge about the past' thread
    Is that why I was "mentioned" in a post I can't find?
    As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil 'cos I'm the meanest motherfucker in the valley...

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a serious question.

Re the PSB tou's , and racism being a no-no. I fully understand racist slurs directed towards a member , but what about general conversation and what constitutes racism?
    PSB is known for colourful conversation that gets a bit wayward at times , so is this still ok?

Racisim comes in many colours [pun intended] , and is hard to classify racist and taking the piss when posting. Would a report be the requirement , and would there be a defence against any report?
    Likes Desmo liked this post

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReCon View Post
    This is a serious question.

Re the PSB tou's , and racism being a no-no. I fully understand racist slurs directed towards a member , but what about general conversation and what constitutes racism?
    PSB is known for colourful conversation that gets a bit wayward at times , so is this still ok?

Racisim comes in many colours [pun intended] , and is hard to classify racist and taking the piss when posting. Would a report be the requirement , and would there be a defence against any report?
    I've been accused of racism on PSB three times.

1. For accurately imitating a conversation with one of my good Vietnamese friends who owned a Hayabusa.

2. For quoting Ali-G.

3. For describing a situation where pollution could result in islander kids could end up with black snot running down their noses.

I can only assume it was a ploy by those less able to have an intelligent debate, to have me banned.
    Last edited by agrid; 11-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    -
    Likes 51 New West liked this post

Motorbike
    '05 GSX1400. Her name is Ruby.
    Liked
    711 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support the mods intent here. However:

* If the mods have implied that if the 1st ban is for 24 hours then the next for longer then this scale of banning must be consistent and fair to all of us, and Desmo (excuse the running gag).

* If this is to be, then we need a transparent system for us and everyone else to always know our ban status. Red crosses in our avatar box? One cross for first ban, two crosses for second etc?

* If both the above are to be, then members with ban history should also have an opportunity to lose "red crosses" with good behavior. The length of time they should go before being rewarded by the removal of a ban cross should be on a similar sliding scale to obtaining bans.

* And of course all of this will have to run itself on the forum. Bans are made by mods, but the allocation of the ban time and subsequent reduction for good behavior should be done automatically by the rule control/calendar software on here. Is that at all possible? In my head it doesn't seem too hard (IF and AND statements - but I know shit about what runs this place).

If you do this and it works there will possibly be a few who cop some lengthy bans early on but eventually it will all settle down as the cost of being banned becomes greater than the benefits of being a member - very few bans will be necessary particularly for those who have spend enough time here to know when not to cross the line.

Just show us the line mods - then don't frickin move it about unless there is a compelling reason for doing so.

The keys to this working are transparency and consistency.

Kinda like a PSB naughty mat Have a pow-wow mods, and report back to ya minions
    Last edited by truewheel; 11-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    It didn't look that far on the map...

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example 3 is thread on its own.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truewheel View Post
    I support the mods intent here. However:

* If the mods have implied that if the 1st ban is for 24 hours then the next for longer then this scale of banning must be consistent and fair to all of us, and Desmo (excuse the running gag).

* If this is to be, then we need a transparent system for us and everyone else to always know our ban status. Red crosses in our avatar box? One cross for first ban, two crosses for second etc?

* If both the above are to be, then members with ban history should also have an opportunity to lose "red crosses" with good behavior. The length of time they should go before being rewarded by the removal of a ban cross should be on a similar sliding scale to obtaining bans.

* And of course all of this will have to run itself on the forum. Bans are made by mods, but the allocation of the ban time and subsequent reduction for good behavior should be done automatically by the rule control/calendar software on here. Is that at all possible? In my head it doesn't seem too hard (IF and AND statements - but I know shit about what runs this place).

If you do this and it works there will possibly be a few who cop some lengthy bans early on but eventually it will all settle down as the cost of being banned becomes greater than the benefits of being a member - very few bans will be necessary particularly for those who have spend enough time here to know when not to cross the line.

Just show us the line mods - then don't frickin move it about unless there is a compelling reason for doing so.

The keys to this working are transparency and consistency.

Kinda like a PSB naughty mat Have a pow-wow mods, and report back to ya minions
    This fits well with an earlier post of mine where I pointed at that effusive posturing and extravagant banning by mods is similar to sports referees who imagine they are bigger than the game.
    -

Motorbike
    Liked
    711 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I've been accused of racism on PSB three times...
    Did this result in 3 bannings? For how long? And what were the time gaps between bans?

Liked
    6631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Taking the piss out of mates is an Australian institution and it is not a difficult thing to do face to face with a smile causing no offence to anyone.
    Same with taking the piss out of other races, the Kiwis, Aussies, Poms, Scots Irish and god forbid even the Welsh have been doing it for years.
    Doing it via the interwebz takes a little more thought as it can easily be misconstrued as a personal attack.
    A little smiley goes a long way.
    If the day comes when taking the piss in a good natured way is outlawed, then we are truly fucked as a multi cultural society.
    Likes marras, Ray_prime, Phildo, Misterio, =Maz= and 7 others liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    711 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    This fits well with an earlier post of mine where I pointed at that effusive posturing and extravagant banning by mods is similar to sports referees who imagine they are bigger than the game.
    That's a great metaphor - we just want good refs...good consistent decisions, yet able to use their discretionary powers wisely in order to keep the game flowing for the players. For the sake of the chat, mods!

But to be fair, sometimes modding on here is like trying to referee that crazy English "sport" where everybody chases a stonking cheese downhill breaking their legs

Motorbike
    Liked
    711 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old frt View Post
    Taking the piss out of mates is an Australian institution and it is not a difficult thing to do face to face with a smile causing no offence to anyone.
    Same with taking the piss out of other races, the Kiwis, Aussies, Poms, Scots Irish and god forbid even the Welsh have been doing it for years.
    Doing it via the interwebz takes a little more thought as it can easily be misconstrued as a personal attack.
    A little smiley goes a long way.
    If the day comes when taking the piss in a good natured way is outlawed, then we are truly fucked as a multi cultural society.
    Fuckin oath. If that happens then we just become German.

Bugger, that's probably my first ban. Racism. Discretion, mods! :pinch:
    Last edited by truewheel; 11-02-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Liked
    6631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Bugger, that's probably my first ban. Racism. Discretion, mods! :pinch:
    Just don't mention the war...

Doh!!!

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or American.
    -

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great metaphor - we just want good refs...good consistent decisions, yet able to use their discretionary powers wisely in order to keep the game flowing for the players. For the sake of the chat, mods!
    There in lies the problem...

You want it both ways...

How can we be consistent and let stuff past...

People have and will continue to whinge that we got it wrong...same as the refs...
    Likes marras, Goldmember, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the users should act like professional sports people and just accept the refs decision, take the penalty and get on with the game...

How about that?
    Likes Farbs, Brougham, Loud, Seb, XQZM3 and 4 others liked this post