User Tag List

Page 155 of 155 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155
Results 3,081 to 3,093 of 3093

Thread: 21 Tips on Keeping Your Shit Together During Depression

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    So this Depression stuff.. Is it like a feeling of you think your having a win, getting ahead, doing really well, but when you check, thinking you'll be miles in front only to find yourself ... flat lined, haven't gone anywhere, not winning, can't seem to get ahead no matter how hard you try. ? Feel like your going in a circle only to end up back where you started.. I got TOYS (no time to use them) JOB WIFE HOUSE CHILD. I should be happy. Maybe if I had no DEBT, F-ed if I know.. What I do know is I don't have a feeling of happy.. Ive been crook the last few weeks so i havn't been able to scuba dive (being underwater is my fav happy place) so maybe this is what is missing.. PASS.. Don't even know why I'm here typing this. Took the bike out for a ride on Fathers day for the 1st time in along time. Felt good to get that out. (body didn't like it got off very stiff and sore.. ) Just feel somethings missing and i can't put my finger on it.. I want out of this hole i feel I'm in.. its getting to me..
    Haven't checked in here for a while, but this kinda struck a chord with me, echoes of my own experience albeit without the debt. Paying off the house, getting the title in our hands was fuckin' awesome, as was cutting up the credit cards: "The man" can go and get FUCKED! We're free!

But what then? Why get up and go to work at a job I hate with a passion bordering on psychopathy? For incompetent fucknuckles I don't respect? For a multi-national that the world would be better off without? As you mention, this job has enabled a few toys, but the nature of it means there is no time to enjoy them. Rebuilds which should take 12 months take 5 years. I think of myself as a racer but realistically have not raced for 6 years, what a fukn fraud. Motivation ebbs away, you find yourself complaining more than laughing, looking at a 10 year old photo of your grinning-self on your personal isolation tag wondering "Who IS that happy fella? What happened to him?". You find yourself looking at your feet, talking to yourself, forcing one of them to move and just praying the other will follow. Instead of looking forward a week or 2 until going home, you have to break it down to just making it to smoko....then hang on until lunchtime....rinse and repeat...don't look too far ahead or you'll be crushed by the shadow of the mountain ahead. Even walking down a set of stairs out in the plant there is an overriding urge to just stop....and sit for a bit. Not because it's hot, not because you are physically tired (although sleep is a big issue), but because your brain is full of mental lactic acid, tied up like one of those marathon runners staggering and lurching about within sight of the finish line but completely incapable of taking another forward step.

Home should be your sanctuary, but even there you don't feel comfortable, you want to head up to the shed, close the door and not come out for 10 years. You'll have an argument that isn't even an argument with your partner of 26 years, the love of your life, but just the tone of her voice has you in the car at 9 o'clock at night heading for Esperance, absolutely steaming with rage over.....nothing. 12 missed calls on your phone: FUCK HER! But the kangaroo's intercede, and a couple of close calls have you reluctantly turning around to find a carpark and walking around a dark footy oval for a couple of hours. Reason slowly leaches into your completely illogical thoughts, you make up, but the white noise in your head remains.

Your partner has an evening out with friends, you enjoy some time alone with the fur-kids, pottering away making dinner, music playing, a few frothy's, and next thing you know you are crying for no reason, not just teary, but great gut heaving sobs. Part of you is like: WTF?!" but part of you just wants to get something out, like squeezing pus from a wound.

Enough. You make an appointment with your GP, discuss a couple of insignificant issues, take a deep breath then blurt out: "I'm not myself!" I expected scepticism, some kind of palming off, but it was quite the opposite: he instantly knew this was the guts of why I was really there, forgot the 10minute appointment schedule and just listened, prompting me here, probing my thoughts there. Yup, cheesy as it sounds, just talking about it, acknowledging there is a problem, that this NOT YOU, is a huge relief. You discuss cause and effect: death of workmate, suicide of another, your fathers recent stroke, shiftwork, FIFO stresses, your brains' biochemistry yada yada. But I'm not the first and he is well versed in the vagaries of formalising mental health plan, the resources are at his fingertips. I'm reluctant to go down the medication route and even more reluctant to see a (subsidised, thanks to the mental health plan) psychologist. But suck it up princess, do you want to be that smiling (not so young) bloke again? We agree to start with the shrink and agree to disagree on the med's: I'll do some research and discuss again at a follow up appointment. So I make the appointment with the psychologist and enter the carpark feeling as shameful as a married man visiting a brothel.

A fish out of water doesn't begin to describe how I was feeling in the waiting room, all of a sudden I was the most motivated I'd been in years: "Run, boy!". But I don't. And I'm glad I didn't, the shrink is "lovely" in a an easy going way, once over the initial societal prejudice we discuss all manner of things, some of it predictable, some of it quite revelatory, for example I suprised even myself when asked what I would do if I could give up work and do anything I wanted. I thought I had a pretty good handle on what I would like to do with my remaining time on this earth, but with my defenses down and a suprise question, something that I had always put further down the list came out with not a moment's hesitation.....weird.

But ultimately I was handling all the crap fairly well mentally, there was nothing illogical in my thoughts, nothing too traumatic, no thoughts of self harm, just this feeling of slowly drowing rather than swimming. We were exploring my mental mire but psychology, while giving some useful tools and permissions, did not seem to provide a means out of it. So I looked into the effects/side-effects of the SSRI med's my GP had mentioned. There is a lot of contradictory information, which I fronted him about, and he acknowledged my concerns, but ultimately what did I have to lose? If they didn't help then I'd stop, no harm done....but they might just prove beneficial.

And they are, which suprised the hell out of me. You wean yourself onto them, taking half tabs for a few days, with warnings of side effects if you rush into it. So after no issues the first couple of days I take a whole tablet the third.....WOAH! Massive negative reaction, awake most of the night absolutely convinced my marriage is over, doing the sums of splitting everything up, where I would go, quitting my job and just fuck off to some tiny isolated place......but there was just enough logic left in me to relate it to the medication. Just wait it out son, hang in there....... So I did, going back to half a tab for another few days before trying again, and things have been on the improve ever since.

You aren't transformed overnight, there is no switch flicked, but bit by bit the barbed wire in your head relaxes and dissolves. Where before you were almost allergic to stress, you find yourself starting to cope, slower to anger, looking up instead of down, tackling the reno's you haven't been able to face for the last few years. No longer am I sitting at shift handover with teeth gritted, wishing everyone would fuck off, or counting the minutes until I can escape to my room. I'm active again, involved, laughing and taking the piss like everyone else making the best of a bad situation....I'm closer to how I used to be. I still hate the cunts I work for, but I'm able to laugh at and roll with the idiotic decisions made.....it's bearable, where before "stick it up your arse" was pulsing in the back of my head, just waiting to be said.

Bottom line? If you are "not yourself", see your GP. In all the research I've done I've yet to see/hear someone say "I should have waited", but sooooo many people wish they'd put their hand up earlier, wish they'd sought help before it cost them a relationship, before it cost them a job, before they gained a reputation as a cold/sour old bastard, before they were short tempered with their kids.

Likes Crim, Morgs, 2Bigfeet, QUACKA, euphoric and 3 others liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slowpoke, yes the difficult time going for help. I remember it well sitting in a waiting room wondering what the heck had gone wrong for me to be like this. Seen by a nice lady who referred me straight to my Doctor. Told that "you have just buried your Dad, and you could also die". What! Take six weeks off work STOP tonight! But I work two jobs, I am studying at Uni, I am arranging a National Conference, I run one day seminars on My rostered day off. I can't stop! I had to do what I was told.

Well, when I phoned people to tell them I could not go a head with these it was with fear. They all said we fully understand!

Doing all the above gave me two hours sleep per night and I thought nothing of that but now I realise it was a recipe for depression.

Now we have decided that the toys are not worth it any more. The camera will do, we make do, we buy off Gumtree. We don't need to have all these new things.

So we bought a caravan off Gumtree and reduced hours at work to three days a week.

Just home after four day trip to Cliff Head.

Last edited by Graelin; 23-10-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Likes xrsism, =Maz=, Geeman, Morgs, Thomas Peel and 1 others liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX6RRRRRRRR
    Liked
    517 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And back onto anti-depressants I go.

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prefectionist View Post
    And back onto anti-depressants I go.
    Don't be hard on yourself. Look at this way. If you had a broken leg you'd get a cast and crutches. Anti-depressants are like crutches for your mind.
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”
    Likes =Maz= liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX6RRRRRRRR
    Liked
    517 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Don't be hard on yourself. Look at this way. If you had a broken leg you'd get a cast and crutches. Anti-depressants are like crutches for your mind.
    I'm not being hard on myself about it. Not about this anyway, haha.

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good perfectionist. Keep talking, keep posting bud, get it out there.

Latest vid in this series.
    This one spoke to me so loudly towards the end. Power of positivity guys. Nothing has to stay the same.

Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone here found that work place bullying has caused mental health issues? I have a great workplace now.

I am just interested no need to go into detail but would appreciate if this is an issue.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continual ineffective negative managerial reactive policies have a much more detrimental effect on mental well being than any bullying.

And Yes....workplace bullying can lead to self doubt and paranoia, isolation and indifference.

Being continually plagarised and not getting any recognition for simple innovation has it's negatives,too. Yet I digress.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Gim, Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GSX in Shed, That is exactly what I think but more eloquent than what I can come up with. It is all good to look at how we fix people what about prevention. We won't change bullies however could workplaces hire people that do not have these tendencies. I am in discussions with a lady in USA, Janice, who is starting to work on work place bullying.

She is a great example of someone moving on after this.

Plagiarised? Janice contacted me regarding permission to use a phrase that I came up with. The first person who has ever contacted me to recognise IP. She is producing T Shirts with this phrase after I gave the OK. I respected this so much.
    Likes Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...share of the profit...? for slogan awesomeness
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    ...share of the profit...? for slogan awesomeness
    No this person is starting out doesn't quite know where it will go. She was honest enough to ask so I just want her to succeed. She has put my name under the slogan. Said it had really inspired her to move forward.

I have the T Shirt now to wear! It is designed to give hope for a better future.

She has been a great employee in the past and did not deserve how she was treated. She now has courage to stand up and help others.
    Last edited by Graelin; 27-10-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being continually plagarised and not getting any recognition for simple innovation has it's negatives,too. Yet I digress.[/QUOTE]

This is so right. You may not know that I coauthored a small book and it was believed to be the first written on law and psychology. A senior government employee in another State used this as his own initiative To further his career and Christchurch Council published it with no reference to the authors to look like their own.

My own Mum who refused any advice from me told me how smart someone was by reading exerts to me from the news paper! Yes our book! Some times you just got to laugh.

llbuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    Being continually plagarised and not getting any recognition for simple innovation has it's negatives,too. Yet I digress.
    This is so right. You may not know that I coauthored a small book and it was believed to be the first written on law and psychology. A senior government employee in another State used this as his own initiative To further his career and Christchurch Council published it with no reference to the authors to look like their own.

My own Mum who refused any advice from me told me how smart someone was by reading exerts to me from the news paper! Yes our book! Some times you just got to laugh.[/QUOTE]

The main thing my friend is your alive and well the past is the past contact me soon regards james.