S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for a while ive been deliberating what to do with this bike but I finally found some motivation to get on with it in the last week. Spied a fibreglass tank on gumtree and after giving it a bit to get a better price pulled the trigger today and bought it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Solid little unit. Needs a bit of tlc but is in pretty good nick. Feelz slighty less in weight too. Mightn look it but its a hell of a lot slimmer than the original.

Edit: this shot shows the size difference better.

[IMG][/IMG]

And quick mock up

[IMG][/IMG]

I like the union jack theme on the tank, but its caused some dilemma. Not sure to keep it and change the bike colours or crimanally paint over it. I was going to do a carbon fibre tale piece which would go with the green and black but geez i dont know now. Perhaps go with a fibreglass tailpiece and just paint out the green with white and red n blue highlights? Figure it out as some stage I suppose.
    Last edited by xrsism; 24-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Motorbike
    GB250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm could work as it is
    https://adsleaf.com/military-themed-bobber/
    also...have a look at some of the British mods scooters from the 60's
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=B...ih=976#imgrc=_

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Hmmm could work as it is
    https://adsleaf.com/military-themed-bobber/
    also...have a look at some of the British mods scooters from the 60's
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=B...ih=976#imgrc=_
    Love the military look link wozza. Some nice bikes in there. Thats the look I was trying to create when I started painting the bike. After looking at those bikes I realise I really need to black out my motor to help it blend in a bit.

Not sure about the scooter looks. All those headlights I think might slow me down just a tad, which might contradict the cafe racer theme of cutting the weight down to gain more speed.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Motorbike
    GB250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na dont black the motor (it gets so over done these days),just use a bit of the green you have already on some of the covers and highlights to blend the motor in a bit. Add some military fonts and an RAF (red white and blue) tail flash over the rear seat cowl and teh union jack tank ...

lol the scooter link was just for inspiration with the union jack designs

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm yeah I might take that on board wozza. Be easier than taking the whole engine out.

More mocking up last night using my xr650rs original headlight. I think I like it but there is a bucket load of wiring that comes out of the cbf headlight thats gonna need shortening. Have to do a bit of customising to the frame behind the light to lift it up. I think the dash needs ditching for something less bulky too.

[IMG][/IMG]

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of things done today.

Bought some new taps for the tank from Ironhorse Restorations and tested it for leaks. Only a very slight leak from the threads around the taps. Shouldnt be hard to remedy. Found out its from a Norton, fastback model I think was said. Pretty cool.

And picked up a second hand speedo from Motorcycle masters to replace the originals that I have removed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [IMG[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little bit of tinkering tonight.

As it happens the thread on the tank is British fine standard. The threads were pretty gunked up so had to get something to clean it up. Bit nerve racking but cleaned up well in the end.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Only bolts I got were a bit too long so they are going to get the cut tomorrow.

Important step almost finished. Have a little bit more welding to do on the tank fittings and then I can fibreglass the seat.

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress over the last two days was chopping down the existing seat I had made and then bogging up and smoothing out bits that were rough on the tail. My metal skills were tested bending curved shapes over a ball, towball to be precise. Not the best. But no problem now. I also filled in the cutout at the front which went around the original tank. Tank now finishes perfectly off at the end of the frame.

Not a hundred percent sure I like the shape with the new tank but its what I could achieve without cutting the frame and getting an engineer to sign it. I deregistered it a while back so its got to go to inspection. Perhaps in the future it will metamorphise. It should look better from this angle with the clipons Ive ordered.

[IMG][/IMG]

Fibreglassed the bottom half tonight. Stupidly started in the garage with the fumes. Derrr. The sides were a bit of a problem hence the clamps. Hopefully if I get time tomorrow it will get finished off. By the way thanks to Simon at composite warehouse for taking time to give some good advice and the crew on here that recommended going there.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Likes Speed Dealer, Wozza liked this post