User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 163

Thread: Hundreds of WA cops being investigated for 'unauthorised computer usage'

  1. #41
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    I think the example used is rather poor considering Mr Petrelis was in protective custody.

    Can you do better?
    For sure

    Brenton Harvey. He accessed details of a deceased man that was the victim in a crash involving Harvey's stepdaughter.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-2...s-case/5830614

  2. #42
    Member acdcfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hilton
    Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    4,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    For sure

    Brenton Harvey. He accessed details of a deceased man that was the victim in a crash involving Harvey's stepdaughter.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-2...s-case/5830614
    This one I can understand , as it is a family member involved and you need to distance yourself from it.
    But again someone please explain to me why is this a big no no

    I still don't understand it
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong



  3. #43
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this country, we have a thing called the Privacy Act.

  4. #44
    Member out_in_front's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aveley
    Motorbike
    Sprint ST & 500 EXC (I miss my superbike)
    Liked
    1000 times
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Police are not all perfect, if they wanted to find dirt on their neighbors, aquaintances, enemies etc and use it in a corrupt manner the accessing of this sort of data would be useful to them. Most people do not like to divulge their salary for example, so should the police access the details of a court case revolving around a tax dispute where they had to submit their tax statements etc as evidence? What about copies of hard drives or internet history?

    I can bet that in the Cousins case they would now know who his doctors are, may have looked at his bank statements (showing withdrawals for drug purchases), get his phone number, see who he has been calling, watched the police video's of his arrest, also they might have records of his internet history or copies of his hard drives?. And then they will probably divulge at least some of this information to their freinds and family - or worse a journalist.

    Definitely cause for concernt here.

  5. #45
    Member INTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona & Perth, WA
    Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Posts
    2,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe how public this is and how clear the law is, and how everyone who should be abiding the law is instead promoting the idea of disregarding it. The law is the law. They want to brand teenagers who had a bit of pot in their pockets as criminals and ruin their future employment opportunities for life in many cases (such as working with children), yet they want to ignore POLICE who invade privacy and break laws which are clearly fucking written. The 2 people who fell victim to this should be kicking up a major fucking stink. The fact that a law exists, but is apparently 'at the discretion of those who break it' is remarkable. Should we settle down when cops punch us in the face? Confiscate money from our wallets? Fuck our wives? This is a GREAT indicator of the culture of the police force, above the law.

  6. #46
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    13,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    For sure

    Brenton Harvey. He accessed details of a deceased man that was the victim in a crash involving Harvey's stepdaughter.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-2...s-case/5830614
    That is a much better example of a copper stepping over the mark and is almost relevant to the thread.

    If we get back to the matter at hand.

    We have Police officers accessing two convicted criminals data.

    I believe this is where it gets murky and what acdcfan is alluding to.

    e.g. Should they not be clued up on these characters in case they have to engage with them at some point?
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

  7. #47
    Member INTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona & Perth, WA
    Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Posts
    2,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    e.g. Should they not be clued up on these characters in case they have to engage with them at some point?
    Why? That happens when they pull them over/bump into them, ask to see ID, go back to their car, and then type a few bits into a computer. Or are you implying all cops should spend their days looking up every criminal or alleged criminal in Perth? Should they check your background right this minute, just to be sure?

  8. #48
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    That is a much better example of a copper stepping over the mark and is almost relevant to the thread.

    If we get back to the matter at hand.

    We have Police officers accessing two convicted criminals data.

    I believe this is where it gets murky and what acdcfan is alluding to.

    e.g. Should they not be clued up on these characters in case they have to engage with them at some point?
    So they were researching eh?

    hahahahahahahahaha

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NOR
    Liked
    247 times
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan View Post
    Why?

    You're prison officer and you should know who are you dealing with so you don't take any chances

    You can't look at their file and see what offence are committed. That is just stupid, unless of course it is used for some sort of personal gain
    prison officers do probably have some idea of what prisoners are in for --- para045 would be better to answer that

    in my dealings/talking with prison officers, you should never take chances with any inmate... they specifically warn you against prisoners trying to groom you...

    but a similar situation here would be a prison guard accessing information about a prisoner in another prison, outside of his control or interest... there's no reason for the guard to access that information... just as there's no reason for these police officers to access the information of what was, at the time, an ongoing investigation.

    its been in the news a prison officer got in the shit for revealing person details of inmates... not sure if this is the same case or a different one where the P.O passed on personal details of inmates onto bikies.

  10. #50
    Member out_in_front's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aveley
    Motorbike
    Sprint ST & 500 EXC (I miss my superbike)
    Liked
    1000 times
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prison officers should defintiely get the details of what they are in for - I.e murder, drug trafficing, assault, rape etc and a detail of how dangerous they might be, but they dont need to access the phone records of the boke disussing his whereabouts or bank statements showing withdrawals near a particular area that was submitted as evidence in a court case.

  11. #51
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    13,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Why? That happens when they pull them over/bump into them, ask to see ID, go back to their car, and then type a few bits into a computer. Or are you implying all cops should spend their days looking up every criminal or alleged criminal in Perth? Should they check your background right this minute, just to be sure?
    Two things,
    If a Police officer had done some "researching" before pulling up a certain Glenn Salmon he probably would not have been shot and forced to return fire on a major Perth highway. I certainly think they would be better spending their time "researching" the criminal element in Perth rather than looking on facebook and PSB for traffic offenders.

    They are well aware of my background and I couldn't give a fuck because I am not a paranoid android and know how the world actually works away from the internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    So they were researching eh?

    hahahahahahahahaha
    I never said that but would definitely use it as a defence.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

  12. #52
    Member INTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona & Perth, WA
    Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Posts
    2,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, research someone once they're pulled over and before you get out of your car... not for some hot gossip to share with friends and family.

    Hold your privacy to higher regard. I don't do anything 'wrong', but it doesn't mean I'd welcome CCTV into my house because of the fact.

  13. #53
    Member Gippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Exotic Italian Muscle
    Liked
    438 times
    Posts
    4,008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again..... big fat meh....

    Police information is police information is police information.
    Its all good on Ducati's

  14. #54
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    13,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Sure, research someone once they're pulled over and before you get out of your car... not for some hot gossip to share with friends and family.

    Hold your privacy to higher regard. I don't do anything 'wrong', but it doesn't mean I'd welcome CCTV into my house because of the fact.
    The cop that had the shootout was on a bike BTW, not in a car.

    I'll let the exaggerations and unfounded allegations go through to the keeper.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

  15. #55
    Member Skut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Posts
    10,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Let's start a gang: Sons of Apathy
    Meh...

  16. #56
    Member BikeRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Motorbike
    K1600GT, GSX1400 & GT650S
    Liked
    221 times
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo View Post
    Again..... big fat meh....

    Police information is police information is police information.
    So are you saying it isn't a crime or that Police are free to commit crimes at their leisure?

  17. #57
    Member kapyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nth of the River
    Motorbike
    Thruxton 2010 SE, CBR600RR Trackie (ex-Aaiden)
    Liked
    1027 times
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fetus View Post
    Each officer would have their unique ID for the system that would get logged when they access any file on it. IT can be a bitch, if any company wanted to fire anyone I'm sure IT could find a reason - "Accessed perthstreetbikes during work hours when the internet use policy says for work related use only". Noone follows those policies, I use my own works network for netflix if i'm haveing a real quiet day but if they really wanted to get you on anything...
    I'm doomed!

  18. #58
    Member acdcfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hilton
    Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    4,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeRider View Post
    So are you saying it isn't a crime or that Police are free to commit crimes at their leisure?
    No, the point is that police officers should be able to view criminal files regardless of who the person is.

    The fact the they looked at those files, Bens and Daniels, and not gained anything , I can't see what the fuss is all about.

    This is what we are discussing here. Why are they being prosecuted is beyond me. If you are in police force you should have access to these files.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong



  19. #59
    Member Morgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Karrinyup
    Motorbike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Liked
    368 times
    Posts
    3,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan View Post
    No, the point is that police officers should be able to view criminal files regardless of who the person is.

    The fact the they looked at those files, Bens and Daniels, and not gained anything , I can't see what the fuss is all about.

    This is what we are discussing here. Why are they being prosecuted is beyond me. If you are in police force you should have access to these files.
    "With great power comes great responsibility"
    Adventure before Dementia

  20. #60
    Member BikeRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Motorbike
    K1600GT, GSX1400 & GT650S
    Liked
    221 times
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan View Post
    No, the point is that police officers should be able to view criminal files regardless of who the person is.

    The fact the they looked at those files, Bens and Daniels, and not gained anything , I can't see what the fuss is all about.

    This is what we are discussing here. Why are they being prosecuted is beyond me. If you are in police force you should have access to these files.
    I disagree, the point is they broke the law regardless of their intentions. What they "should", be doing is obeying the law even if they disagree with it, taking their punishment or contesting it in court, same as I do with speeding fines (which is also much ado about nothing, in my opinion).

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •