Liked
    1127 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    Or you could just strip it down and come historic racing! This would make the base of a great Period 6 750 class bike.
    seconded

go have some track fun before meticulously[ < yes! spelt it right first time ]

examining every nut and bolt and refurbishing it to better than factory !!!

​straightline2ten Dianella 93703770 motor bike and car collision repairs insurance and private work.

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was to take this bike to the track then everyone there would die of tetanus after going blind from the ugly, which wouldn't be of use to me while I'm lying in a crumpled heap having binned this deathtrap on the first corner

So much information on that Gixxer forum for these! When I find a swap that I want to do or a thing that I need to buy, I add it to the shopping list. The list is growing steadily. Oh and potato, you're on my list

Milestone day today today - I bought my first part to modify the bike. This is the original F model, known for its twitchy handling. The Yoshi race team addressed that by fitting a 25mm longer swing arm, something that Suzuki incorporated in to the G and H models. $120 on eBay and I have a G model swing arm on the way from the US. There are some pretty fancy under-braced swing arms out there, but they go for drug money and are super rare. Who knows a good TIG welder?

Next on the list are some '91-'92 GSXR750 triples. House thanks for your offer but it looks as though these early triples are a straight swap (stem, steering stops, ignition easily modified, I only lose the steering lock) and would allow me convert to USD forks from a '91-'95 bike. I could go later GSXR forks from an '01-'04 but they don't have the speedo drive from the front wheel - unless anyone has any ideas that might allow me to get around that?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Gen1 Hayabusa turbo
    Liked
    190 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    I could go later GSXR forks from an '01-'04 but they don't have the speedo drive from the front wheel - unless anyone has any ideas that might allow me to get around that?
    It's been done, but involves a fair bit of effort and also necessitates switching to an electronic speedo gauge from a later model.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/15-oil-...rsion-how.html

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strap a gps watch to the top triple clamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    ShedFullaDeadZeds
    Liked
    819 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
    I think XSorXpire has some flatslides that may suit?
    35mm flatslides to be exact.

Thanks for the mention Commander.

You're more than welcome to come have a look at the flatslides Loud.
    Even take them away to see if they fit...

If you like them, we can work out a price.

I like what you build.
    Likes Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    It's been done, but involves a fair bit of effort and also necessitates switching to an electronic speedo gauge from a later model.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/15-oil-...rsion-how.html
    Cool, that looks doable. One of my gauges has had a knock from the bars so I was going to have to look at that anyway

Quote Originally Posted by XSorXpire View Post
    35mm flatslides to be exact.

Thanks for the mention Commander.

You're more than welcome to come have a look at the flatslides Loud.
    Even take them away to see if they fit...

If you like them, we can work out a price.

I like what you build.
    You are far too kind, thank you sir. I spent hours reading up on the various carb recommendations and think that Keihin FCR35s are probably the carb that I'll go with. But sadly I need side drafts and yours are downdrafts - I'm gutted!

Just looked at pricing for these new - holy shit! Might have to settle for Mikuni or whatever else comes up for the right sort of price.
    Last edited by Loud; 30-12-2015 at 06:07 AM.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Rapier
    Liked
    118 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed.................

I had a GPS Speedo made to my specs and shipped. Heres a pic for comparison

Interested to see where you go with this build myself.

The K3 K4 forks are the odd ones out, they run the 298mm rotors up front, the rest run the 310mm rotors before and after. Busa rotors are 320mm if your curious.

Last edited by Scaramouche; 30-12-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Motorbike
    ShedFullaDeadZeds
    Liked
    819 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at pricing for these new - holy shit!
    I just happen to know a guy....

When you are ready let me know.
    He gets good prices on FCR's. Plus i might be looking for a set of side draft as well.

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
    Subscribed.................

I had a GPS Speedo made to my specs and shipped. Heres a pic for comparison

Interested to see where you go with this build myself.
    I'm impressed! I've read through your build several times and hadn't come across that trick yet.

Truth is that I'll be interested to see where this build goes too. I'm wanting to budget about $15k inclusive of the purchase price so we'll see what I can afford to squeeze in - if I can end up with something half as special as yours then I'll be pretty happy.

I'm not as mechanically skilled or as familiar with the bikes as you are so if you don't mind I might tag you in a post once in a while?

Here's one for you - is there any chance you have an 1100 swingarm link spare? I hear they increase the rear height of the 750 by about an inch, helping to compensate the loss from a 17" wheel swap. I'm hoping to pick one up fairly soon as the modification sequence planned goes:

Swingarm
    1100 Suspension Link
    Shock Exchange
    Front End Swap
    Wheel Swap
    Bracing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XSorXpire View Post
    I just happen to know a guy....

When you are ready let me know.
    He gets good prices on FCR's. Plus i might be looking for a set of side draft as well.
    It's a date

I'll look to order them at the same time as the exhaust, so I can trial fit them with the tank/battery box and filters.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Scaramouche liked this post

Motorbike
    Rapier
    Liked
    118 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed! I've read through your build several times and hadn't come across that trick yet.

Truth is that I'll be interested to see where this build goes too. I'm wanting to budget about $15k inclusive of the purchase price so we'll see what I can afford to squeeze in - if I can end up with something half as special as yours then I'll be pretty happy.

I'm not as mechanically skilled or as familiar with the bikes as you are so if you don't mind I might tag you in a post once in a while?

Here's one for you - is there any chance you have an 1100 swingarm link spare? I hear they increase the rear height of the 750 by about an inch, helping to compensate the loss from a 17" wheel swap. I'm hoping to pick one up fairly soon as the modification sequence planned goes:

Swingarm
    1100 Suspension Link
    Shock Exchange
    Front End Swap
    Wheel Swap
    Bracing

- - - Updated - - -

It's a date

I'll look to order them at the same time as the exhaust, so I can trial fit them with the tank/battery box and filters.
    I still have the OEM 1100 swingarm in the workshop yes, the one I have is a purchased and original JMC swingarm I sourced in a wrecking yard in the UK set up for a 6" rear wheel.

I re-used my link and modified it to accept a 2012 rear shock

Changing the rims over to 17" doesn't change the rear height alone, it also changes the front. Unequal weight distribution on these like any bike will disrupt the steering and turning circumference. These bikes are / were 50/50 out of the box, any change in angle of the bike in the wheel base as a result of suspension mods, will effect its handling and braking capacity.

In my case because a turbo was fitted, I had to make sure the fork length was the same as what I removed for front wheel travel, so I had extensions made for them not only for the braking and handling, but with the upgraded front end, it reduced the spring travel in the front giving me even more wheel to turbo clearance. A front end change is relatively straight forward if you change an entire front end over in one go, that way all you have to worry about is the steering stem and bearings through the chassis head, and stop locks (if need be) The steering lock btw has to go unless you stick with pre '92 fronts. If you did that, you can re-use speedo drive at the front wheel of course.

I still have the OEM Speedo, gauge set and dash, along with all the remaining rear body work, seat cowls, pillion pegs, grab rail etc all tucked away.

There is much I did not post in my project build, not everyone is interested in every last detail as I am.

I researched the speedo conversion endlessly, but I had my head set on using the modern 2009 front end, so I let the idea of a wheel driven speedo cable go, and waited until I was almost at the end of the build to order the new gauges. Speedo is here, but matching tach and Boost gauge on there way. Wanted to ensure my investment was good before I went another pair of gauges. They are expensive yes, but well worth the money. With 93 Atomic clocks on 24 satellites around the planet, and set up right, Speedo is good to 1 metre accuracy.

Everyone has their own ideas about how there personal ride should look, and what it has on it, What I do with my bike only has to please me, I dont expect anyone to go to the extent I have and thats the difference; the same way your bike has to please you.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to its progress. Here's a few pics to help you along the road so you can get an idea of the work involved ahead for yourself, and just in-case your looking for ideas...

BEFORE MODS TO LINK:

AND AFTER - AS YOU CAN SEE IT IS NOW SOLID TO SECURE REAR SHOCK

Likes Loud, Smashingthetwisties liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scaramouche I'm a detail person Thanks for sharing the information.

So I've been having some sleepless nights since I bought the bike, also coinciding with some relationship issues with the girlfriend who wants to move to Melbourne... I've spent this time wisely by scanning eBay, Gumtree and the Gixxer forum. Unsurprisingly this has resulted in more purchases and plans.

Firstly I've come across a company in the States that can underbrace the swing arm that I've just purchased from also-the-States. McIntosh Machine and Fabrication manufacture some pretty reasonable looking swing arms for competition purposes, better still for budget-conscious-me they are also the go-to people for getting a pretty basic original factory item to look more like the superbike arms of the period:

Apparently for ~US$300 they'll brace it and add spool pick-up mounts. I've emailed them and I've also asked the eBay seller to hold off sending the part to me in case I go ahead and send it there instead. The thought of it being done by a proper manufacturer who (it seems) has a jig to make it all pretty-like is quite appealing, as is not-spending over $1,200 for a custom job or jagging one like the JMC in the post above

With the swing arm plan hopefully sorted it was on to the front end. Hours and hours of looking at various tables and threads have got my mind swimming with potential side-effects of swapping in later model forks. Loss of speedo drive and the necessary new gauges that would be needed, affect on chassis geometry due to triple clamp offset and fork length, spring rates and even the actual finish of the fork tubes were all giving me a headache. A front end from a '90-'95 would seemingly be the best bet in terms of simplicity however 3 out of 3 wreckers in Perth all told me my chances of finding one were slim.

But eBay saves the day. So there's a near complete 1993 front end on its way from the States for $530 - sucked in to the 30 watchers who didn't pull the trigger! The only missing part is a top triple clamp (with clip ons), which is also on the way for another $130.

I guess now I'm after a set of wheels. Anyone recognise what these might be, and are they unobtanium?

Crim those babies are the only parts that are going to be hard to find to get my bike looking like that picture now
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    2 bangers
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than likely period technomagnesio rims.

By the way you just a little crazy.....
    Likes Loud, Mr DJ liked this post

Motorbike
    TY-250 RD350LC Gsx 750 esd Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick oogle on google claims Campagnola Magnesium wheels used on factory racer 85-86'
    Similar spoke pattern and look... (Arno's Website..:-)
    Had calipers in front of fork and hand made forks....kept the look ( rgb500 ??) Not usd....but everyone to their own..
    " you want a future..? reconcile your past....leave nothing to chance.."

Motorbike
    1 - 22 seater
    Liked
    285 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let me know if u get rid of the fairings as iam chasing a set for mine

also if u change carbs would be interested as well

looking forward to c this at the jap bike show

Motorbike
    Triumph Speed triple
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cbr600 5 spoke rims fit (can't remember which years) and will give this look the specs are on olskoolsuzuki

Motorbike
    Rapier
    Liked
    118 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gixxer.com is fine, been a member there for 8 years, but for real information on your slabby, like me you join this one:

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/

All they do is talk, build, modify and invent 1st and 2nd generation GSXR along with GS, GSX, Katana, early B12 and 7/11, 7/12 conversions. There is more experience on this forum then anywhere else, because that's ALL they do.

Also check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/1stG...?ref=bookmarks

Not trying to take you away from PSB, not the intention, only trying to help you get where you want to go. It will open many doors for you, sooner than you think.

The wheels imo were a past Marvic / Marchenisi model 5 spoke, which unfortunately are not manufactured any longer. They had more of a straight leg in them. The latter model Marvic have a slight curve to them. You can determine the slight windswept mold shape at the top of the spoke where it meets the rim, sweeps backward instead of forward.

Here is the RGB Galespeed style spoken by another member in an earlier post, still available but not the same, these were Barry Sheene 70's era.

The MARVIC 5 Spoke.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Scaramouche; 01-01-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA Super Roo Charters View Post
    let me know if u get rid of the fairings as iam chasing a set for mine

also if u change carbs would be interested as well

looking forward to c this at the jap bike show
    Mick I'm happy to sell the fairings now, if you're keen then I'm happy to work something out with you. PM me if you want to come and have a look.

Just in case you haven't seen - the fairings are unique to the '85 model, they won't fit the '86 and '87 models. I'm not interested in keeping this one original so I'm happy if they help to make/keep another one original instead.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scaramouche thanks for the links, no fear of making me think of departing PSB either.

This bike needs straight spokes, there's no two ways about it. That rules out CBRs, and I don't think the straight tri-spokes will do either. I do like these:

But I'll have to win lotto to afford them - if they can be made to fit.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joined the Old School Suzuki site and, sure enough, there's a thread from a guy building a replica Yoshi kinda-like I want to. Contained within, something that isn't going to cripple me financially and keep my straight-spoke idea alive:

F*ck me if they don't look like the original rims...
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    1 - 22 seater
    Liked
    285 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick I'm happy to sell the fairings now, if you're keen then I'm happy to work something out with you. PM me if you want to come and have a look.

Just in case you haven't seen - the fairings are unique to the '85 model, they won't fit the '86 and '87 models. I'm not interested in keeping this one original so I'm happy if they help to make/keep another one original instead.
    sounds good send u a pm