Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As luck would have it a Gixxer forum member recognised the bike I'm looking to copy. From what I gather the fairing manufacturer the image is from (Airtech-Streamlining) started out as a guy making designs for his own bike. And he documented the build in a thread! That's going to cut down on the number of issues with the build I think.

This essentially gives me a shopping list to get the bike looking similar, knowing the parts combination works together.

Those wheels - Marchesini from the KTM Superduke 990.
    That swingarm - a standard unit with a brace taken from a CBR900.
    The forks - yep, GSXR750 '90-'95 units
    Triple clamps - CBR929 units - they're drop clamps, allowing the shocks to be installed lower, giving more ride height.
    Aaaand he used a GSXR1100 rear link.

So now I have a shopping list, some of which is going to be pretty hard to get. I'll start putting some feelers out on here and see where it takes me.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expensive but hugely successful 24 hours.

Parts that are on their way:

• 2007 KTM SuperDuke 990 wheels, sprocket carrier and discs
    • 1993 Suzuki GSXR750 forks that allow me to retain the cable-drive speedo (if I want)
    • 2002 Honda CBR929 triple clamps
    • 1986 Suzuki GSXR750 swing arm
    • 1994 Honda CBR900 swing arm
    • 1986 Suzuki GSXR1100 swing arm link

Apparently that gives me the basics to get the bike sitting right and be a much more stable ride than the tank-slapping, high-siding, nervous beast that the factory released in 1985. Once they arrive I'll need to:

• Have some spacers made up to have the wheels fit correctly
    • Find some bearings to suit the new triples
    • Unpick the brace from the CBR900
    • Strip the anodizing from the new swing arm and the brace
    • Get the brace welded to the new swing arm
    • Modify the GSXR1100 link
    • Bolt it all together

That'll keep me busy. Then it's exhaust and bodywork time
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes aubs liked this post

Motorbike
    TY-250 RD350LC Gsx 750 esd Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone please buy all the bikes LOUD is selling.....

This thing sounds too good to be true......Bring It On....!
    " you want a future..? reconcile your past....leave nothing to chance.."

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small setback which has resulted in a fair bit of upside.

It happened while I was looking to see what calipers I should be searching for, asking the question on the Gixxer forum. The '93 GSXR forks that I've ordered suit 310mm discs when used with the readily available axial brake calipers, it's what makes them popular for SV and early GSXR conversions. The bike I'm looking to replicate uses 320mm discs though, with no adapters for the calipers, and from the build thread it apparently does this with a '93 front end.

...Only it doesn't. The front end is in fact from either a TL1000 or a series one 'Busa. Someone pointed this out as those bikes, per Scaramouche's fork chart, use 320mm discs. They also look reeeeeally similar to the GSXR ones, which is why the builder of the first bike probably didn't pick up on the difference. So the simplest way forward for me is to buy forks from one of those three models.

Now what I do know for a fact is that, even with the drop triples from the CBR929, the guy who built the Tornado copy ended up with his fork tops flush with the top of the triple clamp - i.e. bottomed out. The fork chart shows that the three models differ in length, the TL1000R being the shortest and the TL1000S being the longest.

Not knowing what's on his bike I've just bought a nice looking set from a TL1000S. At worst he has the TL1000S also and this will leave me in a similar position - fork tops flush with the clamps. But it may be that he has a TL1000R and I could have a useful 15mm of fork tube to play with.

Also the TL forks are nowhere near as expensive as the GSXR forks as they're not a straight bolt-on so I now have a popular front end to sell with the left-over GSXR forks and triples. Still, better to have found out now!

Next on the shopping list - Nissin axial brake calipers with 90mm mounting hole centres.

The first (and supposedly hardest to find) of the parts arrived today:

Doesn't look like much, does it?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bandit 1200 calipers work. Sorted!

Next job, find a job.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy times!

• A job found me.
    • GSXR600 sold.
    • Bodywork pricing negotiated, invoice to pay on Monday and should arrive ~8 weeks after that.
    • RS125 priced pretty f*cking keenly to sell.
    • CBR900 swingarm is here and I'm working on removing the brace, which is tricky.
    • Wheels, brakes and TL1000S forks yet to arrive.
    • '93 GSXR750 forks listed on Gumtree and PSB as I'm no longer needing them.

Monday I'll call the Australian Yoshi dealer and go about securing one of the new Cyclone systems they're producing. I'm also looking out for a whole low km engine or one that has been rebuilt, but failing that I'll look out for a later GSXR DOT head (with the bigger valves) so I can rebuild my own.

A colour scheme is also rolling around in my head. I know the colours I want to use, it's just a matter of working out where they're going!

Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes yaabaa, BikeONE liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a little today.

Here's the CBR900 swing arm:

And here's what I needed:

Just waiting on the new '86 swing arm so I can have the anodising removed from both, before Frankensteining and beautification.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brakes arrived today and I woke up early to place the order for the fairings. 8 weeks... Should have CNC milled rearsets on their way at the same time along with a screen and headlight cover.

Placed the order for the Yoshi Cyclone system too. Stainless steel with a Titanium muffler I didn't want the carbon, it wouldn't have looked right. 12 weeks away.

Now if only the swing arm, forks and wheels would arrive I could start making some real progress! Meanwhile I've got some two-stroke issues to address.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting some serious thought in to the engine.

Mine has done over 100,000km. Having spent plenty of time reading up on rebuilds it seems there are a couple of things to consider:

The rods have pressed-in bolts. Re-using rod bolts is a no-no from every technical manual I've seen, let alone after 100k.

100,000km is a fair amount for a set of pistons. Would it be worth replacing them anyway, even if the barrels don't need a bore?

The head. It's alright in design but they redesigned it for the '90 & '91 engines.

So I could replace the pistons with Wiseco, replace the rods with Carrillo and spend some serious dollars on machining.

Or I could buy a low kilometre engine, if I can find one.

The problem is that all the Period 6 racers must have pillaged the Australian supply of early GSXRs and their engine components. What's left is rare and, when it comes up, expensive.

...So I'm talking to a guy from the US about a low kay engine he's selling. I've looked in to shipping and it looks as though it'll be around $300-$400. Given the price he's after for the motor, this might be a go-er. Ridiculous! Pretty much the whole bike will have come from the US... except the wheels and frame.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Liked
    393 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These GSXR "Diesel Slabbies" bikes replaced the RG500 that Suzuki sold in 1984/5!

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamathi View Post
    These GSXR "Diesel Slabbies" bikes replaced the RG500 that Suzuki sold in 1984/5!
    Welcome back
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?

Motorbike
    TY-250 RD350LC Gsx 750 esd Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it...usa models usually have been Highwayed... not stunted.....anyway who cares $400 bucks....:-)

aaaaannnnd you can google search the engine no. can't yah..?
    " you want a future..? reconcile your past....leave nothing to chance.."

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    ...So I'm talking to a guy from the US about a low kay engine he's selling. I've looked in to shipping and it looks as though it'll be around $300-$400. Given the price he's after for the motor, this might be a go-er. Ridiculous! Pretty much the whole bike will have come from the US... except the wheels and frame.
    Rich... got an engine sent from the US to here a while ago. Took a while, but it was cheap.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    Gen1 Hayabusa turbo
    Liked
    190 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously considered getting a busa engine shipped over when I did my build so that I wouldn't have to take the bike off the road as long. If I recall correctly it would have cost ~$1600AUD for a low mile US engine shipped to Perth, while similar engines go for $4-5k locally. Granted, the exchange rate isn't as nice now, but I'd guess a US engine is probably going to be the most economical option.

Last edited by House; 20-01-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    Likes Commander Keen, rgvlee liked this post

Motorbike
    BMW Boxer Twin
    Liked
    308 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep i had a low KM CBR600RR engine shipped from the states for ~AUS$1400 a few years ago, wreckers here were asking twice that.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
    Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was both exciting and frustrating.

These arrived in amazing condition:

and now wear some old tyres to protect them while the front end is being modified.

And these arrived the other day:

in great condition except for one fork having lost all of it's oil on the way over - thankfully they wrapped it in a rag and cling film. Words will be had.

So I went to put the forks in to the CBR929 triples... and they don't fit. There's 1mm in it - the forks are 55mm (as per Scaramouche's chart), but the triples are 54mm.

*sigh*

Firstly I got out the verniers and did some measurements. Yep, the GSXR USD forks from the '93 are 54mm. They'd fit in fine but wouldn't allow me to use the 320mm KTM discs.

Next I emailed the guy that made the bike I'm copying to ask if he modified the lower triple, or found 54mm forks. I'm waiting to hear back from him, he's in America so that won't be until tomorrow morning (his usual turn-around time while I've been organising fairings from him).

Then I did some research and see that some of these Hayabusa style forks are 55mm and some are 54mm. I'm not sure if anyone can confirm - maybe House?

I've emailed a few of the people selling forks on eBay to see if they can measure the forks. If any are 54mm I'll just buy yet-another set... Or maybe the lower triple needs to have half a millimeter shaved off the inside edges... not my preference.

Imagine if it hadn't? I picked up the '85 GSXR for $1,500. If ther RG was never replaced by the GSXR, and so RGs were still being built, the '84 RG500 would be worth less than $1,500.

You would have lost heaps from restoring and selling your bikes

Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    Do it...usa models usually have been Highwayed... not stunted.....anyway who cares $400 bucks....:-)

aaaaannnnd you can google search the engine no. can't yah..?
    Google, Facebook, Gixxer.com - I've got them all covered!
    Last edited by Loud; 21-01-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Gen1 Hayabusa turbo
    Liked
    190 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Hayabusa forks (and as far as I know, all TL forks) are 55mm at the lower triple.

I'm running 54mm K6 GSXR1000 forks on mine, with 0.5mm circumferential shims (i.e. extra 0.5mm on each side of the fork) in the lower clamp. This setup also needed some 2.5mm brake disc spacers and 10mm caliper spacers (?think it ended up being 10 instead of the 5 the chart says because I used Kawi calipers?).

I have definitely heard of people getting clamps bored out a mm larger for front end conversions too though, but I have no idea who in Perth might do that work.
    Last edited by House; 21-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solved. It was the SRAD Gixxers that had the 320mm disk and 54mm fork.

Having looked at the situation and considered it from a number of angles I've decided to have the lower triple machined the 1mm. That's 0.5mm of material which I'm satisfied isn't going to affect the strength of the clamp.

Considerations were:
    The TL forks are in great condition.
    Russ from Dynotime suggested the TL forks were better.
    SRAD forks are only upside down for 750s, and they're dear.

I called Micron Engineering in Malaga - they've done some trick stuff for me on Roller Skates and I've recommended them to my friends for steering stems. They're reasonable, quick and professional. And they have the machinery to do the job right.

Hopefully have the front end back late next week or the week after, ready to trial fit to the bike. In the meantine I'm waiting for that swingarm to arrive so I can finish producing the brace, ready for welding.

Might have found myself a '91 motor with 60,000km too. And it's cheaper and quicker to get them from Europe than from the US, which is interesting. Seems as though everyone has one lying around in the US and UK.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    A fast one.
    Liked
    3461 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work being done to a bike that (truth be told) started looking like a dog's breakfast.

When you need that brace welded up on the swingarm, give my old man a call at Wangara welding, he may be able to get it done. 9409 9573.
    He's pretty handy(read, pretty fucking good) with all things metal, TIG included.
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 View Post
    Very nice work being done to a bike that (truth be told) started looking like a dog's breakfast.

When you need that brace welded up on the swingarm, give my old man a call at Wangara welding, he may be able to get it done. 9409 9573.
    He's pretty handy(read, pretty fucking good) with all things metal, TIG included.
    Thanks mate. Truth be told it still looks like a dog's breakfast - I haven't touched the bike so far (other than to move it out of the way).

And I appreciate the contact. There's a guy called Clyde 5 minutes from here at a company called Bravo Resources who I've spoken to about the swing arm. Given that it's going to take a little bit of to-ing and fro-ing in order for me to keep costs down (I'm going to fabricate the struts and plates) I might stick with him for time and ease.

Posted some bearings off to the machinist yesterday - a pair of 6005s should fit the KTM wheel to the Suzuki axle perfectly, meaning the wheels and rotors will just need spacers and not bushes too. And while that's all happening I've ordered a set of Renthal clip-ons to steer it with and started looking at the brake and clutch master cylinders as well as the switch block/controls.

The '85 didn't feature an indicator switch as most of would be used to - it features a slide switch instead of a spring-centred push-cancel switch. Screw that! A pair of '91 switches are now on the way from the UK - they retain the same square design and lack of choke lever as the originals while having an indicator switch like I'm used to.

For the master cylinders I'm looking at either restoring these ones or switching to pair from a Bandit 1200S or 1st Gen Hayabusa. It's going to depend upon what I can find levers for, as well as whether I decide on a cable clutch or hydraulic clutch. Any thoughts on that?

Update - Life's too short, bought a pair from a Hayabusa in Ireland. I'll look at a manual clutch conversion later if I don't like the hydraulic unit's action.
    Last edited by Loud; 26-01-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes 66 liked this post