Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual Purpose recommendations

Looks positive that my wife Lorn and I will move to our block in Denmark within 6-7 weeks. This has got me thinking about the 8km of gravel road to our block and the clay surface base, which fun in the ute, just puckers my freckle on the 900 hornet. Can't be arsed dropping tyre pressure just for the short gravel ride and with road tyres it wouldn't make much difference when it's dicey in Winter.
    So with the preamble over it's onto business. So I could investigate adventure touring tyres, which work pretty damned well on road these days or build/buy an adventure bike. I'm leaning towards going bush again. Last trip was Alice to Boulia near Mt Isa in 2002 on my old bush pig XTZ660.
    I'm thinking small bore so I can learn some new skills, plus gain some confidence; maybe do some cross training (not dressing). Possibly a DR400 as they are a pretty stable platform form real adventure rides and single track or maybe even smaller like a TTR250. As I'm returning to the dirt and off road touring I don't want another bush pig (aka XTZ660) as they are too top heavy and after long days in the saddle through soft sand it's helpful to be able to pick up your own ride when it falls over without popping out a pellet. Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

Cheers Maloney
    Last edited by Maloney67; 17-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll want to upgrade the seat on a drz400 if you're riding much over 50kms in a stint, otherwise it should be fit for requirements.

250 will mean overall slower travel speeds on long rides especially if you load it up, but starting with a lighter bike can make it easier to handle even geared up, followed a guy riding a drz250 halfway across Australia and he did an oil change in front of his motel room so maintenance is easy.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Motorbike
    Tryhard Gayowner
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    KLX 250s are the dux nuts when it comes to a reliable 250 dualie/motard, on par with the DRZ 400. I doubt you wanna spend the money to get a Euro trash enduro, so I'd be getting either of them ( or their 650 equivalents ). You might also be able to snag a CRF250L, there's a cheapy on here for sale I think. They're basically a road rego CRF that has the motor from the CBR250 instead of a proper MX/Enduro motor and the associated service intervals.

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice guy's. I definitely want something which will just plonk away and only need the usual service. Off course a 250cc will be woeful on the blacktop but initially I will avoid that as much as possible. When I'm tired of the 250 it will be retired to the farm/block for errands and cross training in and around our forest, plus local single track work. The DR650 Suzuki's are a good wee donkey once the suspension is sorted out and the seat upgraded, but again a little heavy when the going gets tough and slow or technical.......especially for a road rider like me.
    I'm going to suss out the dealers in Bunno and see what's about; I think I will have to sell the 900 privately what a hassle.
    "Love a ranga today"

Motorbike
    BMW F800R
    Liked
    80 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How abouts the Yamaha wr250r.

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ye olde' DR 650?

Tough as nails yet a bit plush for the tooshy! Once you get the confidence to push , then the suspension and bike mods are endless. Even you wife could jump on and ride it aound town or the block when necessary.

Will sell in about 7 minutes should you want to upgarde to Euro or late model steeds.
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not going offroad, what about a supermoto with the slightly knobby tires?
    -
    Likes spitfire9au liked this post

Liked
    232 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with CharlieAlpha , the Wr250r. It has plenty going for it , long service intervals , even looooonger before you have to check valves etc. Basically a maintenance free bike. Will sit on 110 all day long , plenty of go for a 250.
    I'm sure with a little searching you'll find plenty about the little bike.
    I may be biased as mine has been fantastic and hauled my fat arse around the place.
    "Farewell, shitty day, don't forget to fuck thyself on the way out"

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm leaning towards DRZ400's or a DR650 because of weight and they are fairly agricultural which is what you want when doing 500-600km off road. Again plenty of history for both machines. Lots of ADV gear is available as is tips and tricks. If I go 250 it is likely to be a TTR over the WR as forks are better and the engine is less stressed. Going to have to get my brother inlaw to sell it for me in Perth as I'm not going to have time between packing up and moving and getting stuff prepped down South. He's been selling allot of his FIFO mates toys recently
    Cheers for your thoughts guy's.
    "Love a ranga today"

Motorbike
    VFR1200X Crosstourer
    Liked
    335 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think as soon as you hit the bitumen you'll get bored shitless with a small bike. Either keep 2 bikes or go big with something nice like the new Africa Twin
    You put the c*nt in country run

Motorbike
    Ducati 998, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 1098R, CBR1000RR Track, XR600
    Liked
    200 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xr600r.
    Might just have one for sale.

Motorbike
    harley,husaberg,honda,bsa,yamaha
    Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drz400 would be a great choice with all the adventure gear like long range tanks,bashplate etc easily available .
    Im sure there would be plenty of good places to ride a more dirt orientated bike like the drz around denmark

Inactive Member
    Motorbike
    Moto Guzzi
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So . What did you get?
    Dr650 SE - Wish it came in V-Twin... er, thats a Stelvio...