User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2000 Ducati Monster 600 - Easy to work on?

Motorbike
    '12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    Liked
    65 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Ducati Monster 600 - Easy to work on?

Hi all,

Have access to a 2000 Ducati Monster 600. Hasn't been ridden for a number of years and theres a fair bit of rust to the exhaust and bars etc. Bike was always kept stock and was running before it was covered and forgotten about. Just wondering if these bikes are generally easy enough to work on? I can probably pick it up for about 1-1.5k and will pull it to pieces and rebuild cleaning as I go and replacing whats broken. First time I've done something like this, I will have my dad and some mates who can lend a hand where needed.

Cheers
    I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Liked
    107 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty basic bikes...
    good price there, especially if you get for a grand.... great starter bike.
    Likes jules_1972 liked this post

Motorbike
    Ducati 900 SS & 848 EVO & SC1000bp
    Liked
    158 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go for it first step is replace the timing belts, even befor you give it a turn over.
    Unless you get the covers off and check the condition. However from your description they should be fucked.
    There are some good you tubes of how to change them over.

Liked
    49 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super easy to work on. Need minimal tools for most stuff too. Unlike the Jap bikes I've owned, it seems they Ducati actually thought about working on them, rather than just selling them.

Belts from Brad Black www.bikeboy.org I've been using the Exact Fit belts for years, never had a problem.

BEFORE starting engine, I'd be doing the following:
    Drain and replace oil and filter
    Drain tank and fill with fresh petrol
    New belts

When you've changed the belts, remove the spark plugs, and turn the engine over on the starter motor WITH THE PLUGS OUT. By removing the plugs, you are removing the compression ( load ) from the engine. It's sat for so long there will be no oil on the crank bearings or anywhere else, an you don't want a load on dry bearings. Wind it over until the oil pressure light goes out, which is also when you will hear the engine slow down a little because now there is a bit of load because oil is everywhere it needs to be. It will also have got petrol through where it needs to be. Then you can fit the plugs and fire up that sweet 2 valve music. Good luck, they are wonderful machines, and fun to ride. You might not end up riding your 848 much anymore though........

Motorbike
    Liked
    65 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D996R View Post
    Super easy to work on. Need minimal tools for most stuff too. Unlike the Jap bikes I've owned, it seems they Ducati actually thought about working on them, rather than just selling them.

Belts from Brad Black www.bikeboy.org I've been using the Exact Fit belts for years, never had a problem.

BEFORE starting engine, I'd be doing the following:
    Drain and replace oil and filter
    Drain tank and fill with fresh petrol
    New belts

When you've changed the belts, remove the spark plugs, and turn the engine over on the starter motor WITH THE PLUGS OUT. By removing the plugs, you are removing the compression ( load ) from the engine. It's sat for so long there will be no oil on the crank bearings or anywhere else, an you don't want a load on dry bearings. Wind it over until the oil pressure light goes out, which is also when you will hear the engine slow down a little because now there is a bit of load because oil is everywhere it needs to be. It will also have got petrol through where it needs to be. Then you can fit the plugs and fire up that sweet 2 valve music. Good luck, they are wonderful machines, and fun to ride. You might not end up riding your 848 much anymore though........
    Thanks for all the info. Will most certainly be pulling things to bits and doing all fluids etc prior to starting. I think at this stage is to do the bare minimum to get it registered before doing any other modifications. I have a different paint scheme in mind than the all black.

The older Monsters, specifically the S4R were always my dream bike but when I got old enough and had the cash the new ones didnt appeal to me and I got the SF848 instead. It does somewhat concern me I wont want to ride it as much haha. Oh well, might be time to let the old man have a go on it if he can get his leg over the seat.
    I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.
    Likes whowalks liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    02keilj
    It's been 6 months, what's the update?
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    Liked
    65 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    02keilj
    It's been 6 months, what's the update?
    Sorry for not updating. Dad bought the bike and will be fixing it up. They are moving from TAS back to WA in the coming months so nothing is happening until he is back permanently

Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 02keilj View Post
    Sorry for not updating. Dad bought the bike and will be fixing it up. They are moving from TAS back to WA in the coming months so nothing is happening until he is back permanently
    how are you Jimmy?
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong