User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: Ducati 1299 Superleggera

  1. #41
    Member slowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Perth hills
    Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    Ducati O/D'd on the wank factor much?
    You are absolutely right. I mean the heap of shit is lighter than a WSB bike (156kg dry weight, 167kg kerb weight) even with lights, mirrors, horn, fan, plate holder, sidestand etc. Fuggin' gutless with only 215hp....Phhht! Lousy MotoGP spec electronics, (slide/launch/wheelie/engine braking control, full up/down auto blipper data analyser, laptimer with GPS functionality, cornering ABS) and what the fuck were they thinking giving it all that crap AND making it fully Euro 4 compliant?

    As you say, what a load of wank. They should have done like the Japanese did with their RC30, RC45, OW01, R7, NR750, ZXR750RR etc and detuned the fuck out of it...now THAT'S how you do "exotic".

    Sir Al agrees with us too: https://riders.drivemag.com/ww/news/...best-till-last

  2. #42
    Member gareth_oau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair though, I mean all the critics on here are professional riders and they have actually ridden it right?

    I mean, they arent just using keyboard warrior skills to form views right?

  3. #43
    Member Stu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bayswater
    Motorbike
    Ducati 1199 Panigale; Suzuki GSXR750 SRAD
    Liked
    330 times
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hotter tham a Panigale! Now that's hot!
    Spiral out, keep going...

    Likes Sprint liked this post

  4. #44
    Member Crim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Inside my head
    Motorbike
    Crims
    Liked
    33 times
    Posts
    553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    You are absolutely right. I mean the heap of shit is lighter than a WSB bike (156kg dry weight, 167kg kerb weight) even with lights, mirrors, horn, fan, plate holder, sidestand etc. Fuggin' gutless with only 215hp....Phhht! Lousy MotoGP spec electronics, (slide/launch/wheelie/engine braking control, full up/down auto blipper data analyser, laptimer with GPS functionality, cornering ABS) and what the fuck were they thinking giving it all that crap AND making it fully Euro 4 compliant?

    As you say, what a load of wank. They should have done like the Japanese did with their RC30, RC45, OW01, R7, NR750, ZXR750RR etc and detuned the fuck out of it...now THAT'S how you do "exotic".

    Sir Al agrees with us too: https://riders.drivemag.com/ww/news/...best-till-last
    At least the Japs don't produce 10 versions of the same thing. All the rider aids mentioned are available for less than $30k from Japan or Germany so wank factor still has a part to play, especially when Ducati comes into play as it seems to attract that sort of "look at me" punter. Same applies to cars, a GTR will match any Italian for half the price, again the wank factor comes into play.

    Didn't know that Ducati lovers/homeboys were so thin skinned btw.
    Last edited by Crim; 13-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.

  5. #45
    Member gareth_oau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    At least the Japs don't produce 10 versions of the same thing. All the rider aids mentioned are available for less than $30k from Japan or Germany so wank factor still has a part to play, especially when Ducati comes into play as it seems to attract that sort of "look at me" punter. Same applies to cars, a GTR will match any Italian for half the price, again the wank factor comes into play.

    Didn't know that Ducati lovers/homeboys were so thin skinned btw.
    A GTR is like a very fast milk crate that's good at going fast and not much else - shit to drive around town and the quality of the interior is nowhere near a euro lux

  6. #46
    Member slowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Perth hills
    Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    At least the Japs don't produce 10 versions of the same thing. All the rider aids mentioned are available for less than $30k from Japan or Germany so wank factor still has a part to play, especially when Ducati comes into play as it seems to attract that sort of "look at me" punter. Same applies to cars, a GTR will match any Italian for half the price, again the wank factor comes into play.

    Didn't know that Ducati lovers/homeboys were so thin skinned btw.
    Again you are right, the Japs don't produce 10 versions of the same thing....they just produce the same thing for about 10 years (GSXR1000K9, CBR1K8, R6, CBR6 all went virtually unchanged for how long?

    Ducati lover/homeboy? Haha, I have a love hate relationship with my old dungers: I love to hate them and they love to hate me! Nah, I like my old R1 as much as my Duc's, best race bike I had was a CBR1K, so you've got that all wrong. And I'm not a fan of the Panigale, no matter how good it is, to my eyes it isn't that attractive to look at...interesting...but not attractive.

    Nah, I just think it's unfair when people see something is expensive and rubbish it when they know nothing about it. When Alan Cathcart, probably the best and most experienced road tester in the business rates it as the best road registerable sportsbike on the planet, there is more to it than just wank. Same goes for Tony Rutter (IOM TT winner, BSB legend) when he tested it for Performance Bikes mag, he was amazed by it, saying it was lighter and faster than a BSB Superbike.

    But each to their own, I'm happy as a pig in poo with my +10 year old bikes, owning one of these things is not something I'll ever have to worry about.

  7. #47
    Member Crim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Inside my head
    Motorbike
    Crims
    Liked
    33 times
    Posts
    553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I have a lot of respect for "Sir" Al, read a lot of his reviews over the years but I am at the stage of being suspect of his writing purely down to his age & ability to test these sort of bikes. A former workmate of mine who happened to be in Bonneville in 2010 met him there, apparently he has knee issues which may effect his ability to ride.

    Written reviews without video should become irrelevant now with the advent of the internet & youtube etc.

  8. #48
    Member DQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jindalee
    Motorbike
    '14 MT-09 El Trippo, '09 R1 El Bango, '08 CBR1000RR El Tracko,
    Liked
    820 times
    Posts
    3,483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael's brother Tony?

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

  9. #49
    Member duc13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Liked
    152 times
    Posts
    1,483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    Ducati O/D'd on the wank factor much?
    Think we all know that there probably isn't any better than Ducati for doing limited editions runs.
    Some are just colour changes and, yes, maybe a bit of wank thrown in with a plaque thrown on
    the top triple clamp.

    Others such as 99% of the "R" models, Desmo's and both the S/L's are serious fucking motorcycles.

    If I sold all mine , I might just be able to afford one, but I can't see that happening lol.

    Oh for a lotto win!
    Likes Sprint liked this post

  10. #50
    Member 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    some where in the far east.
    Motorbike
    A fast one.
    Liked
    3461 times
    Posts
    12,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone that talks up any kind of ABS on a bike like this is clearly being paid for their opinion....
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

  11. #51
    Member Halo_2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    From Where You'd Rather Be
    Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Posts
    7,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of the V Twin model is near - V4 soon

    Last edited by Halo_2; 20-06-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    "One day I'll fly away"

  12. #52
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrrgh! Mine eyes!

  13. #53
    Member Kaido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    -
    Motorbike
    -
    Liked
    290 times
    Posts
    3,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumors this is the V4 Panigale



    Likes Halo_2 liked this post

  14. #54
    Member slowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Perth hills
    Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 View Post
    Anyone that talks up any kind of ABS on a bike like this is clearly being paid for their opinion....
    Interesting point of view....but somewhat different to that of John McGuinness and Karl Muggeridge:

    http://www.sportrider.com/honda-tt-l...e-mans-24-hour
    http://www.visordown.com/features/ad...on-haslams-way
    http://www.visordown.com/news/racing...onda-fireblade

  15. #55
    Member gareth_oau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can someone explain to me what's actually wrong with ABS?

  16. #56
    Member pnork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somewhere close.
    Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Posts
    2,505
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nothing. It's only the elitists that really hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo
    cuntoxly

  17. #57
    Member gareth_oau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I'd be curious to know why they hate it?

    sure, I understand that these old school guys are clearly so damned good they dont even need brakes, let alone ABS, but for the vast majority of riders, apart from a couple of extra kgs, I cant see what all the angst is about

  18. #58
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    15,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_oau View Post
    can someone explain to me what's actually wrong with ABS?
    Depending on the system, and these are always improving, some of them are down right shit.

    The ones that use only a comparison wheel speed sensor between the front and rear wheels should be out-lawed. As when you get to the absolute limit of threshold breaking your front wheel is turning at a slower rate than the road is passing beneath it. The rear however is still turning at the same rate as the road beneath, or may be in the air. Either way the comparison of the speeds of the two wheels throws the system out and suddenly the ABS module is releasing the brake pressure just when you don't want it to. Suicidal.

    Now that they include the use of IMU's and bank/tilt sensors it is better, but I still don't trust it.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

  19. #59
    Member gareth_oau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Depending on the system, and these are always improving, some of them are down right shit.

    The ones that use only a comparison wheel speed sensor between the front and rear wheels should be out-lawed. As when you get to the absolute limit of threshold breaking your front wheel is turning at a slower rate than the road is passing beneath it. The rear however is still turning at the same rate as the road beneath, or may be in the air. Either way the comparison of the speeds of the two wheels throws the system out and suddenly the ABS module is releasing the brake pressure just when you don't want it to. Suicidal.

    Now that they include the use of IMU's and bank/tilt sensors it is better, but I still don't trust it.

    So I'm assuming the one on a superleggera wouldn't be that basic and bad?

  20. #60
    Member Shotalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Perth
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RSV4
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Super V4

    No rumour! All the journos I've seen reviewing the Superleggera are saying this is the ultimate Panigale before the new V4. I've even heard Ducati race teams talking about it in interview but the Pani might have a year or 2 to go before she morphs into something else. From various sources I've read and heard the V4 is just more efficient with Honda already having made one they will introduce next year or the one after. The V4 dimensions aren't a whole lot bigger than the Pani, she'll just have bigger hips. ;-)
    Last edited by Shotalot; 25-06-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •