User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "MUST HAVE" gear for dirt riding?

second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"MUST HAVE" gear for dirt riding?

Hey y'all, so besides basic stuff like gloves, mx boots, pants helmet goggles and jersey, what is the must have gear (or really should have) for trail riding, or even those endure type events?
    I have basic knee support strap brace shin thingos (but not exoskeletal framed ones), do any guys run chest/back armour, kidney type belts or plain back protectors?
    Is camelbacks etc a worthy neccessaty for longer than 20 minutes dashes into the bush?
    Do anyone carry basic tools/spares/repair stuff?

and no Mr_Mike , I haven't bought a bike, just doing some "research"...

any thing else I missed? Is a road reg bike or endure spec a better option or is their plenty of places to roll with mx stuff?

Does anyone have experience of riding with glasses under goggles?

Cheers

sS
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick
    Likes Marty MOOSE, Aufitt liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 Daytona 675RABS, 2006 CRF450X (Rtd), 2013 Nuda 900RABS (Ret), 2014 Street Triple 660ABS (Ret)
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subd
    Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
    Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan

Banned User
    Motorbike
    Tryhard Gayowner
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also sub'd but I might be getting a bike

Liked
    39 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good elbow protection, knee protection are essential.
    Camelbak - I'd class as essential but you could get away without one whilst your starting out (just riding near the car).
    Only basic tools go in the Camelbak - I prefer to do my maintenance & checks in the shed the night before, not on the trail.
    Armour/chest plate etc - only when I've done the odd race.

I've always had road rego'd enduro bikes, but plenty of blokes run MX'ers in the bush - just be prepared for the consequences of doing so...

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knee protection.
    -

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get some protection for any body parts you think are important.

If you're wearing it and don't need it then you may feel it was a waste of time getting kitted up, but if you need it and you're not wearing it you'll probably waste more time.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.
    Likes shortSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Pressure suit, it is a all in one back, chest, elbow, forearm and kidney belt arrangement...

Get a Camelback, not only does it hold water but snacks and tools to, and toilet paper...

Get a road rego'd bike, more riding options legally...
    Likes Shady7/8, Benzo, watsonc liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think a Camelbak is a must have. My only recommendation would get one with a mouthpiece cover (some come with it, or you can buy these separately), it stops you copping a mouthful of dust when you take a drink

I now ride a DR650, but back when I used to go road touring on my Bandit I also wore a Camelbak. Helped me to avoid fatigue when doing long stints on the bike as you can drink water without having to stop.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your knees are bad, pod knee braces. Pressure suit and mx shirt in hot weather.
    Kti personal epirb if you do much solo riding.
    Half fill and freeze camelback bladder and top up with water before riding. I put it in a bigger backpack with tools and tyre plug kit.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A spot device is another good idea if you're out riding alone. Just keep it on your person, not on the bike so if you're thrown down a ditch and break your leg you can get help.

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality boots... I've had my toes tucked right down when hitting a log, multiple fractures - could have been much reduced trauma if i'd spent the money on well made off road boots.
    I've got a nice Spyke MX Jersey somewhere... never worn. If i can find it, it's yours sS.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.
    Likes shortSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    Hannspree
    Liked
    146 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely Armour, Not just chest plates, Armour that protects collarbones in accidents is my highest suggestion. Also a camelback with storage, Can be brought reasonable cheap, get one that wont move around. Someone like yourself I can see running tublis system. Also, Road Registered would be a must. Makes life so much easier and can ride anywhere you can 4wd.

Liked
    201 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a bumbag rather than a camel back full of tools its easier to ride with and way safer in a crash if you wear it on your front. Camel back for fluid a must. Knee guard are a must but you have them braces are better though. I would not buy any sort of pressure suit armour I've owned several and they cook you in warm weather. I'd go one of the later FOX or TLD armour's that have good rib protection and some elbow guards as needed.

Rego is better yes and what are you using the bike for ?? If its offroad riding get an offroad bike, m/x bikes are good but do require many mods to work well offroad and then you are still stuck with the gearbox limitations. A purpose built enduro bike is the way to go, I have a Beta 350rr and love it but any of the major brands are good but BETA is BETTER

MM
    Likes shortSteve, Shady7/8, Big_Nath liked this post

Motorbike
    DRZ400SM, ZX10R
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boots, knee protection, helmet, goggles and gloves is my minimum usually just with the clothes im wearing that day (dickies and a shirt, jumper if its cold)

but newbies to the bush should consider body Armour and full coverage gear, even with all the protection ive seen people break arms, legs, collar bones, knowing your limits and how to crash are good things to learn when riding the bush those trees, rocks and roots don't give a fuck

O and if you have a KTM carry plenty of spare parts & tools (KTM today ATM tomorrow), a jap bike not so necessary to carry a workshop with you

with the new laws just past if you plan on doing any rides that are not on private property a rego'd bike really is a must, even i'm thinking about going legit after 20 something years of riding illegally
    Last edited by Hillz; 08-12-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Motorbike
    YAMAHA R1, WR250, 2xCR125 and too many others
    Liked
    36 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally I used boots gloves and helmet only, however found that I was smashing my knees when falling.

I now use an old pair of leathers and the thick padding in front of the knees is great. The leathers are a little warm, but I'm accustomed to wearing them on road bikes anyway.

Never had any further knee problem, however would consider some kind of back/shoulder protection in future.

You can use road going gear like leathers and boots, however the dirt plays havoc with the zips. The boots are better than nothing, but an Offroad boot is almost completely stiff by comparison, makes changing gear quite different

I ride with teenage sons, rego'd bikes isn't going to help if they are unlicensed riders anyway. So we take our chances with unregistered bikes. In the near future once the boys are licensed we will reduce our fleet of MX bikes
    Last edited by Creme; 08-12-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    - Mike

Motorbike
    User is a dirty Perve
    Liked
    578 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically echoing what's been said above.

Pressure suit - but get a mesh one as Marty points out you can cook in them. My old AXo is mesh with zip off arms. The newer mesh doesn't zip off but apart from that identical.
    Biggest problem with the hard roost armour is it moves. A LOT!! Thereby exposing you to some pretty nasty injuries involving the kind of penetration that you don't want. It also doesn't cover much. Only really suited to MX.

Camelbak or similar backpack hydration - the EVS pressure suits have inbuilt slots for water bag in the spine guard.
    I've thrown my tool kit and first aid kit in my backpack but as Marty also says, risk of worse injury if you land on your back.
    Depending on the ride I'll take a spare litre of premix and some tube goo for punctures.

Knee braces - definitely. It might sound like overkill for a beginner/novice, but your more likely to put your foot/leg out wrong in case of lose of traction or an off and do some damage - just ask Loguie.
    There's high spec like A*s or Pod or Asterix at $600ea upwards, but what price do you put on a complete knee reconstruction?

Rolloffs for your goggles are great in the right circumstances, most Enduro/bush trail rides I've done during winter I take my goggles off as they fog no matter what I do. I also use the fixings that attache to the helmet so I can easily take teh goggles on and off with one hand.

Get your suspension sorted! Endurowe-tech out in the country seem to have the best reputation.

Get a speedway/trials tyre for the rear as well and come join us for dirt tracking once the track is built!

Definitely get an Enduro/road reg bike as the work involved in putting lights on an MX bike is annoying(not a huge ask but annoying) and then you have to take it through the pits
    PS my 2012 WR450 is for sale... can even negotiate some Supermoto parts....

PPS listen to Marty - he's been doing this for years
    Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
    One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
    . .
    Likes Marty MOOSE, shortSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I wear, every single piece of gear has paid for itself multiple times over. Crash tested! I've come off at high speed onto hard limestone & pea gravel. I've crashed at low speed onto large rocks. I've face planted in deep sand. You will crash too.

I don't wear the best, this is what works for me after a lot of time spent researching, there is better more expensive gear out there, as well as cheaper gear out there.

Helmet - Arai XD4
    Neck brace / roll / collar - EVS R4 Pro
    Camelback / hydropack. - Kriega Hydro 3
    Compression suit.. these are light, often well-ventilated, and inexpensive compared to buying all the pieces separately which you will likely do anyway - Fox Titan Sport body armour
    Compression shorts with armour in the hips - Alpinestars Bionic Freeride
    Knee guards / braces - Leatt Dual Axis (I need to get some actual knee braces, I'm looking at Pod and Asterisk)
    Gloves.. I actually wear very light, ventilated short-cuff road gloves that have hard protection on the heel / palm of the hand - Five Stunt EVO Airflow
    Good boots - Alpinestars Tech 7

All of the above I would happily buy again, no regrets.

You can get away with less and you may be lucky but why risk it. Just like people who only wear regular jeans not kevlar... You don't need it 'til you need it.

Good protective gear can be bought relatively cheaply, and certainly much more cheap than taking time off riding / time off work because you're smashed up. Good gear makes the difference between having a fall early in the day and being able to continue riding, or smashing yourself up and then having to quit early.
    Last edited by Benzo; 08-12-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike - registered is useful, as well as easier to insure. Lots of thefts of dirt bikes.

For someone short, have a look at the KTM350 Freeride.

Pressure suit: I tried one years ago but found it was too restrictive and hot to wear. Went back to normal plastic body armour.

Knee guards: Yep. Get knee braces if you can afford it, but they're expensive. Good, custom made ones cost $2,100, but look around for normal secondhand ones.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    Motorcycling is dangerous
    Liked
    1557 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the gear, importantly dainese exoskeleton, and custom knee braces.
    JAPANESE motorcycle with brands ending in 'a' , everything else ultimately fails.
    Quiet pipe,
    T&E club membership.

Enjoy.
    Ride Smarter
    We Need our Track Back.
    Likes Shady7/8, Benzo liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mesh Fox Titan body armour is cooler than everything else I have. Using it in NT right now. The mesh does keep a bit of heat though but it is better than squidding.

Boots are Daytona Trans open gtx. Good and comfortable for enduro style boots but expensive.

EDIT: just looking at the dainese body armour the mesh is much more open weave than the fox.
    Likes Benzo liked this post