Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery charging issues.

I recently purchased a Hyosung 250 cruiser and the battery isn't being charged while riding.

I have slightly less than 0 knowledge on the electrics on a motorbike

Can someone please reccommend an Auto Electrican for me, I live in Lathlain and will require them to come out to me.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm pretty sure i saw a 10.8v reading on the last guys multimeter. He narrowed it down to regulator or alternator but wasnt 100% confident.

Cheers

Motorbike
    Big bang boom and a sewing machine
    Liked
    2533 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check the rectifier , its a box , black , look it up on YouTube , some one will sure enough made a vidio of all your problems ,
    aside from the rectifier , check your stator , i always go rectifier first,
    if it looks like its got hot , it has ,
    was the ten volts at the battery , at the battery whilst running ???
    so many vague facts
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )
    Likes HughDMan liked this post

Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the advice.
    As stated I know jack about the electrics, I've purchased a multimeter so will try and get a few readings.
    The 10 volts wasn't off the battery.
    Youtube seems to have a few videos so I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Motorbike
    whatever the missus lets me ride.
    Liked
    9 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a lot of the EFI 250 Hyosungs (cruiser, street and sports) i come across needs to have the wires going to the REG/REC replaced. lousy cheese wiring from factory. most of the time i test from battery to REG/REC then stator (from most easiest and most likely to fail, to the more advanced and least likely to fail).

check voltage at battery. KEY = OFF .. if voltage is below 11.5 or fails a load test, the battery is buggered. when motor is on and you're revving say 6000 rpms and the voltage doesn't go over 12.8 volts.. its not charging.. then i'd go to the REG/REC.

for reg/rec and stator, just look on youtube. . Hope this helps and best of luck.

PSB Corporate Sponsor PREMIUM potato's Avatar
    your paint/scratched it/crashed it smash repair shop
    Motorbike
    rattly v-twins-love em
    Liked
    1127 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    run it down to motorcycles plus in kewdale if you have no luck

​straightline2ten Dianella 93703770 motor bike and car collision repairs insurance and private work.

Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok
    I've checked the rectifier and all reading are common with each other either all 0s or 470 which youtube tells me is good

I've checked the strator and the resistance is also all common ie low

THe ground to strator is 1

Looks like i have to charge the battery again and then check further.

Liked
    212 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When off, the voltage across the battery should be approx 12V. (might be as high as 13/14?)
    When you turn ignition on, it usually drops a little, but should be no less than 11v

If you can start the bike, then bring the revs up to 3-4000 RPM, and the voltage across the battery should be around 14.5Volts. (at least greater than 13v) If it isn't, then your battery isn't being charged.

Once started, you should be able to (carefully) disconnect the battery (just the negative lead is enough, but don't let it touch any other part of the bike) and it should keep running if the stator and reg/rec is functioning correctly.

If its not charging (and doesnt continue to run), this could be the stator not producing enough voltage/current, or the regulator/rectifier (usually in one package) not stabilising the voltage at ~14.4Volts. (usually blown diode or two which makes the circuit stop feeding any voltage from the stator)
    Unfortunately I have found that you often have to replace the stator, reg/rec and battery in one hit, as one damaged usually ripples the damage through the rest. (I have replaced one component, it has come good, and found 2 months later one of the other components fails, or the same again... (if it is a dodgy stator, it can keep blowing reg/recs, and replacing them only makes the bike run again for a short time)

Hope that helps.

Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xphread View Post
    When off, the voltage across the battery should be approx 12V. (might be as high as 13/14?)
    When you turn ignition on, it usually drops a little, but should be no less than 11v

If you can start the bike, then bring the revs up to 3-4000 RPM, and the voltage across the battery should be around 14.5Volts. (at least greater than 13v) If it isn't, then your battery isn't being charged.

Once started, you should be able to (carefully) disconnect the battery (just the negative lead is enough, but don't let it touch any other part of the bike) and it should keep running if the stator and reg/rec is functioning correctly.

If its not charging (and doesnt continue to run), this could be the stator not producing enough voltage/current, or the regulator/rectifier (usually in one package) not stabilising the voltage at ~14.4Volts. (usually blown diode or two which makes the circuit stop feeding any voltage from the stator)
    Unfortunately I have found that you often have to replace the stator, reg/rec and battery in one hit, as one damaged usually ripples the damage through the rest. (I have replaced one component, it has come good, and found 2 months later one of the other components fails, or the same again... (if it is a dodgy stator, it can keep blowing reg/recs, and replacing them only makes the bike run again for a short time)

Hope that helps.
    Don't disconnect your battery with the bike running especially if it is fuel injected, you might be able to get away with it on an enduro which normally have a separate system for the ignition although the exercise won't tell you anything. The battery absorbs spikes and also provides the other end of the reference for the charging system, the chances of spiking the system are good to high.

10.8 volts is a battery with at least one dead cell lead acid start batteries are not like phone batteries they are not designed to be run down to dead and revived you may get away with it once or twice. 12volts is a flat 12 volt battery 12.4 volts with no load is fully charged the headlights should make little to difference to the battery voltage 0.1-0.2 volts when fully charged. If the voltage drops significantly with the lights i.e 0.5 plus your battery is somewhere between on its last legs and !@#$ed. I suggest you get the batt load tested before messing any further with the charging system, battery retailers will do this for free.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, full charged battery and seems to be alot of volts running back into the battery, maybe to much it spiked at 17. at 5000 rpm. will check tomorrow morning. i have the service manual and the guide above is pointing to a farked RR.
    Thanks so much for all the input.
    Likes shan liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or just some 'bad connections'
    " you want a future..? reconcile your past....leave nothing to chance.."

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HughDMan View Post
    Ok, full charged battery and seems to be alot of volts running back into the battery, maybe to much it spiked at 17. at 5000 rpm. will check tomorrow morning. i have the service manual and the guide above is pointing to a farked RR.
    Thanks so much for all the input.
    Something is definitely wrong if it's hitting 17v

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now when I do the tests, the voltage doesn't move, ie not charging. FML Off to Motorcycles Plus. 11.5v when 2500 rpm and same at 5000 rpm
    Likes potato liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stator
    RiDe F@sT.. HaVe F).. PlAy Ld

Liked
    212 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If output of the reg/rec was at 17v something was hemorrhaging internally. Sounds like it has finally popped if it's now nothing. (nothing above battery state)

Liked
    29 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up the bke from Motorcycle plus in kewdale, and they replaced both the strator and reg.rec. Happy Days now.
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HughDMan View Post
    I just picked up the bke from Motorcycle plus in kewdale, and they replaced both the strator and reg.rec. Happy Days now.
    Good to see it's sorted mate