Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
    ... what's to stop motorcycles overtaking on the right of a vehicle travelling in the right lane? - of course other than safety and space...It seems this might be a legal manoeuvre?
    Nothing, it is perfectly legal to overtake on the right side of a vehicle in the same lane, given you leave a "safe distance" according to reg 122 (1). If the cop is an ass though, he simply has to say you didn't leave a safe distance.

Basically within the law, if you approach a set of lights and every other car is stopped, you can legally split either side of the line (provided you don't break any other regulations)

If the right lane is moving, technically you must stay in the left lane (doesn't matter if the left lane is moving or not, as long as you are passing them on their right). Or, as you suggested you could pass on the right side of the right lane.... but that's risky in itself because there is more chance of them deciding at the last minute to turn right.

The only time you can overtake on the left side of a vehicle in the same lane is when it is turning right or stationary.

Having said all this, its all crap, and incredibly unlucky/stupid that you got pinged. Laws should be created and enforced based around common sense. The only thing wrong with splitting is cars get shitty because they cant do it. As for your infringement, if your video recording shows all the right lane cars you pass as stationary then I'd say you're lawfully in the clear.
    Last edited by Alternate; 04-03-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Likes V Twin liked this post

Motorbike
    Yep
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorbike
    Suzuki GN250
    Liked
    27 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
    Regulation 122, sub regulation 2 - doesn't state the lane has to be empty because, since you're allowed to travel in a line of traffic within a lane thanks to regulation 126:
    Subregulation 1: "within a single marked lane or in a single line of traffic"
    Subregulation 2: describes how if you want to move laterally, who gives way to who.
    It's clear to see in Subreg 2 in the first picture that those are just two normal lanes driving in the same direction, in this example, any vehicle is allowed to pass either other vehicle. If that vehicle wishes to move from one lane to another, they must give way to the vehicle ahead of them as shown in the diagram. The second picture clearly shows two lines of traffic within the one lane, there is not specific mention that a vehicle isn't allowed to pass another vehicle in one line of traffic as compared with the first graphic, so that would mean there is no law against it?
    this is probably gone off topic now but I still dont agree with your interpretation on passing to the left but i am not a lawyer nor know of anyone who has tested this anyway.
    I agree with Alternate's reply:
    "Yes, there is a specific mention, you have posted it yourself: 122 (1) When overtaking a moving vehicle, a driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle) shall, except as provided in subregulations (2) and (3), pass to the right of that vehicle, at a safe distance.
    Sub regulation (2) being ... a driver may overtake and pass in another marked lane to the left of the vehicle
    126 is not referring to overtaking therefore there is no need to mentioned overtaking, that doesn't mean you can do it. The second picture does not have marked lanes and reg 122 (2) is specifically telling you to move to another marked lane to overtake on the left.
    "

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame we can't hear the cops responses ....in that video...

in summary... Split slowly... don't cross an unbroken line...avoid splitting on the left in the same lane.( unless the traffic is stopped?)

Try to not hit mirrors on the way to the front of the queue...( avoid the white line..again)

Or just pick the gaps on the way to amber/red lights and....... don't ride like a dick.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Triumph Street Triple R, GSX-R750 Trackbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Progress on Filtering?

It is very hard (almost impossible) to split legally since we're using laws mainly aimed at cars, and applying them to the situation of a bike moving through traffic. Even filtering through stationary traffic can be tricky due to the need to indicate when changing lanes and the fact that it's not just when a wheel crosses the line that you are deemed to be changing lanes. I had a mate who reckoned he did it to the letter of the law so I filmed him on a commute. He realised he was regularly breaking one or more laws.
    What does this mean? Don't do it like a knob (ever, no one likes a knob). On the rare occurrence you see a cop, avoid doing it, or as a minimum don't do it like a knob (this really is worth remembering). You'll probably get away with filtering past a cop car in stationary traffic simply because there's bugger all they can do if in a car.
    If a cop wants to ping you, you are very very likely to lose.
    Oh, and don't bother with the constantly indicating one way or the other. Or flicking your indicator left and right when you think you're crossing the line. Usually it's too little too late and you're not fooling anyone.
    Personally I try and educate friends/colleagues as to why it is done (the safety aspects) and point out that every bike doing this in heavy traffic reduces the congestion for all the car drivers. Once they see it as no big deal, and even advantageous to them, they ease up on the anger. Of course there's always the testosterone fueled ignoramuses who see you as getting "in front". These ones I wave cheerily to hoping I can hasten their journey to a stress induced coronary.
    "Speed Kills". The stupid person's answer to a complex problem.

Motorbike
    1400GTR 2010, ZX14 09, ZX14R 2012
    Liked
    15 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FarRider # 159,

Motorbike
    r1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't work out what's ok and what's not some people abuse or deliberately cut you off i understand the solid white line rules, what about overtaking in the same lane on single lane roads, i can see why people are confused with it motorcycles and other road user's.
    And this post is not just winding people up everyone i ask has a different interpretation of it.
    Mate stick to the facts not a fantasy.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llbuono View Post
    I can't work out what's ok and what's not some people abuse or deliberately cut you off i understand the solid white line rules, what about overtaking in the same lane on single lane roads, i can see why people are confused with it motorcycles and other road user's.
    And this post is not just winding people up everyone i ask has a different interpretation of it.
    Have you read this thread ? It's not legal. It's not strictly illegal (no laws pertaining to splitting). Read the thread Jimbo
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes llbuono, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The overtaking laws are simple and straightforward. Unless you cant read.

There are no splitting laws here which is a good thing and people should stop pushing for them.

In states it has been enacted they always have upper limits and passing limits.

No your Honour, I'm sure I was only 19kph faster than the car I split. Not the 22 as alleged by orrificer Plod.
    Likes Sauer liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, the filtering laws are fine just the way they are, don't want the public thinking they know all the rules they might start getting even more angry when im flying along in the motorcycle party zone
    Hoonaholics Garage
    Likes Sauer, Benzo, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the timing right and monosplit the lights from 2 or 3 cars back as it hits green is funzone for sure!

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So split/filter but if plod is feeling vindictive he/she will ping you...yes a typical government response to a sensible rule that doesnt exist.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes AZAZL liked this post

Motorbike
    Bandit 1250S
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even on single lanes you can overtake in the same lane, provided you do it to the right of the vehicle, unless they are turning right, in which case you pass on the left.
    Likes llbuono liked this post

Motorbike
    r1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondawn View Post
    Even on single lanes you can overtake in the same lane, provided you do it to the right of the vehicle, unless they are turning right, in which case you pass on the left.
    That is one of the ones that confuses me, some guys will move to the right to stop you at stop signs if the line is long i slip up the left then across then up the right again.

Why car driver's are so petty these day's i don't understand pre 1989 they actually used to move over for a bike there was a kinda respect of motorcycle rider's back then that is generally lacking these day's.
    Last edited by llbuono; 10-02-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *twitch*

Webpage here: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe (easier viewing/reading)
    "This is great. Not only am I not learning, I'm forgetting stuff I used to know".

- Milhouse Van Houten
    Likes llbuono, Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    r1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    *twitch*

Webpage here: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe (easier viewing/reading)
    I will say this christy it's been a long time since i went to school at botany primary school i have forgotten punctuation verbs adverbs adjectives nouns and general grammar sorry.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say this christy it's been a long time since i went to school at botany primary school i have forgotten punctuation verbs adverbs adjectives nouns and general grammar sorry.
    2 simple-ish rules:
    Just because it ends in 's' doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.
    If in doubt, leave it out.
    "This is great. Not only am I not learning, I'm forgetting stuff I used to know".

- Milhouse Van Houten
    Likes llbuono liked this post

Motorbike
    r1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    2 simple-ish rules:
    Just because it ends in 's' doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.
    If in doubt, leave it out.
    Actually i thank you for your advice christy.

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see Kristy’s eye twitch every time you write christy...
    Likes Stephan, Para045, Prefectionist liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krist'y thas' the best piece of infarmotion Iv'e red on hear four ages' thank's for the headsup.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Para045 liked this post