Liked
    161 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Progress on Filtering?

Some states over that way (points left) have trialed/legislated filtering thru stationary traffic.

Any signals from anyone on either side of politics that this might become common sense in WA?

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashpixx View Post
    Some states over that way (points left) have trialed/legislated filtering thru stationary traffic.

Any signals from anyone on either side of politics that this might become common sense in WA?
    What's your understanding of the current legislation here? And what benefit do you see from WA adopting the rules trialed/implemented over east?

I like them the way they are - nice and grey.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Sauer, pnork, AZAZL, Biggles, Gippo and 3 others liked this post

Liked
    8 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahahahahahaha

Sorry.. 'politics' and 'common sense' and 'WA" in the same sentence. What's his prize??

Motorbike
    DRZ400SM, ZX10R
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stationary or Hwy because people like to sit side by side in cages. in perth you should be splitting & getting away from those cars no matter what the Claw says
    Last edited by Hillz; 11-01-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Likes dwillia, deadly like liked this post

Motorbike
    Suzuki GSX-S1000F
    Liked
    161 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like being rear ended 😔

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Likes dwillia liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like being rear ended 😔
    How is that relevant to a motorcycle forum?

Split and filter in accordance to the current rules. I've had some roadside conversations with police who have pulled me over, once I've demonstrated my knowledge of the rules and we've ascertained that I've done nothing wrong they let me go.

The last thing I want is to be told I can only do 15km/h past stationary traffic, on two wheels.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Shady7/8, 66 liked this post

Motorbike
    Suzuki GSX-S1000F
    Liked
    161 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post

Split and filter in accordance to the current rules. I've had some roadside conversations with police who have pulled me over, once I've demonstrated my knowledge of the rules and we've ascertained that I've done nothing wrong they let me go.

The last thing I want is to be told I can only do 15km/h past stationary traffic, on two wheels.
    it seems you know more than all of us about this topic, perhaps instead of being cryptic you may like to share YOUR understanding of the rules, as it seem us underlings haven't the same grasp as you

my understanding is that Plod can pull me up for filtering through stationary traffic if he wants and book me for dangerous driving causing a reduction in congestion... grey goes both ways unfortunately.

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some like it.

oo so thats the magic number i say when i get pulled. nah was goin 15 coppa. if accused otherwise then may i please see the calibrated speed measuring decive that has recorded my speed? no? ok 15 it is then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Motorbike
    Yamaha
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems you know more than all of us about this topic, perhaps instead of being cryptic you may like to share YOUR understanding of the rules, as it seem us underlings haven't the same grasp as you

my understanding is that Plod can pull me up for filtering through stationary traffic if he wants and book me for dangerous driving causing a reduction in congestion... grey goes both ways unfortunately.
    I don't see why it's so hard.

It is legal, as long as you indicate, don't cross over solid lines, don't pass a car in the same lane on its left-hand side (unless it is stopped and turning right), and don't ride on the line.

"Lane splitting/filtering is an unsafe practice which usually contravenes the road rules. While the Australian Road Rules and WA Road Traffic Code 2000 do not explicitly ban lane splitting/filtering, they do prohibit the practice by virtue of the fact that a number of other rules may be and are regularly contravened during the manoeuvres, such as not signalling before a lane change, riding with the wheels on the lane line, crossing continuous lane lines, safe overtaking and so on."

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
    It is legal, as long as you indicate, don't cross over solid lines, don't pass a car in the same lane on its left-hand side (unless it is stopped and turning right), and don't ride on the line.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by flashpixx
    it seems you know more than all of us about this topic
    Hahah - you think that because you don't know, no-one else knows? Safety in numbers, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo
    cuntoxly
    Likes Benzo, Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For someone that doesn't like being rear ended you've done a pretty epic job of making an arse out of yourself with that first paragraph. Perhaps you've misinterpreted my post, feel free to point out what upset you.

From my side, you've suggested that changing the laws is "common sense". I ask again - why is it common sense? What do you hope is achieved by changing the laws?

There are currently perfectly legal ways to filter and split, if you're aware of the rules and suitably skilled. I'm happy to link some of the many threads available using the search function to help with your understanding, however given that you've formed a position on the matter it would appear you must be aware of them already. So I'm surprised you've found my question offensive.

These current rules allow us to do things that those over East are explicitly prohibited from doing, because further "common sense" was put in to the legislation. Filtering becomes legal at no more than xx km/h (very slow) and splitting is made illegal at the same time. No thanks.

How's that Shoei helmet going? Bet you're happy with the 50% off I prompted you to save?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Benzo, Ken Oath liked this post

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone that doesn't like being rear ended you've done a pretty epic job of making an arse out of yourself with that first paragraph. Perhaps you've misinterpreted my post, feel free to point out what upset you.

From my side, you've suggested that changing the laws is "common sense". I ask again - why is it common sense? What do you hope is achieved by changing the laws?

There are currently perfectly legal ways to filter and split, if you're aware of the rules and suitably skilled. I'm happy to link some of the many threads available using the search function to help with your understanding, however given that you've formed a position on the matter it would appear you must be aware of them already. So I'm surprised you've found my question offensive.

These current rules allow us to do things that those over East are explicitly prohibited from doing, because further "common sense" was put in to the legislation. Filtering becomes legal at no more than xx km/h (very slow) and splitting is made illegal at the same time. No thanks.

How's that Shoei helmet going? Bet you're happy with the 50% off I prompted you to save?
    OUCH!

(but "like")
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo
    cuntoxly

Motorbike
    Suzuki GSX-S1000F
    Liked
    161 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha loving the Shoei thanks 👍
    Not upset... Haven't had a bike for 4 years so wondering if things had changed. Seems not and seems that is a good thing.
    I thought I was asking a straight forward question but I should have clarified why I asked 😊

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Likes FJ Steve liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, loud is right. The new law is not "you are allowed to filter". The filtering laws are the opposite.

They now state "You are not allowed to filter under these conditions."

Take NSW for example. Like here, there were ways to get through moving traffic. Anticipating movement of vehicles ahead correct use of indicators, riding to the right of a moving vehicle with the lane, etc etc.

Now, the NSW law states if you exceed 30kph splitting past a vehicle, you get busted:

"The rider of a motor bike must not ride past another motor vehicle being driven
    in the same direction as the rider if the rider is:
    (a) in the same marked lane as, or on a dividing line adjacent to, the vehicle
    while passing the vehicle, and
    (b) riding the motor bike at a speed in excess of 30 kilometres per hour.
    Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units."

Leave it how it is here. WAPOL will not listen to your explanation you were doing it legally, They'll say: "you were going +30kph, maaate!"
    Likes flashpixx, pnork, FJ Steve, 66 liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you are on one wheel it is legal I thought?

Also the lane between the two solid whites is the motorcycle lane.

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits
    Likes AZAZL, rgvlee, xor, JackL liked this post

Motorbike
    DRZ400SM, ZX10R
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    party zone!!!!

Likes AZAZL, BillyBoof, rgvlee, Benzo, xphread and 3 others liked this post

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeeewwwwww!

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
    The only real issue is that in a lot of cases the only way to be able to fit when you filter is to pass on the LH side of the right lane of traffic
    The other grey area is whether you have "crossed a solid line" by hanging a clipon/mirror over it or whether you actually have to cross it with the wheels of the bike neither of which is defined in the regs
    If the former then a lot of trucks/buses would be breaking the law all the time
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes flashpixx liked this post

Motorbike
    A fast one.
    Liked
    3461 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest bastard is that even if you manage to do everything legally and demonstrate a clear understanding of the rules, you can still be done for dangerous riding/passing.

Unfortunately, WA's grey rules are still a safer better than the hyper controlled crap over here.

Fairly sure you can't 'split' in traffic doing more than 40.
    Hell, I used to split if the cars were doing 95.
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.
    Likes Thomas Peel, xor liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)