User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: First Bike dilemma

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    near a river
    Motorbike
    British twin
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    2,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Really depends what you're into. A small bike for example is useless for touring. The minute the wind picks up you're getting blown around.
    It can be done.. did 3-4 days on a vtr 250 as the only 250 in the group, Denmark, Pemberton, Nannup and more.

    Wasn't easy, but a good experience.



    relooking at the pic.. I couldn't wait to upgrade.. now I think.. damn I miss her!
    All generalisations are false... including this one!
    Likes Nudge liked this post

  2. #42
    Member GreenMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cardboard Box
    Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Posts
    3,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    If you are worried about dropping a faired street bike, try a Suzuki DRZ400SM. Light, easy to flick around, adequate power and most importantly, don't break when you drop it.

    Economical, reliable, easy maintenance and my only LAMS bike. A keeper.

    When you want to learn to ride on loose surfaces like gravel, which you should, you'll quickly learn to control the thing when it is sliding around. They are made for it.
    This would be the most irresponsible post I have read on PSB.
    That particular model throws you on the ground for no reason at all.
    Decides to go in the opposite direction on gravel roads.
    They are a Death Trap.
    I had forgotten what gravel rash was for 42 years until I bought one of those buckets of shit!

  3. #43
    Member Benzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Balcatta
    Motorbike
    Yamaha
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    This would be the most irresponsible post I have read on PSB.
    That particular model throws you on the ground for no reason at all.
    Decides to go in the opposite direction on gravel roads.
    They are a Death Trap.
    I had forgotten what gravel rash was for 42 years until I bought one of those buckets of shit!
    Choice of tyres / tyre pressure..?
    Suspension set up..?
    Rider's off-road ability..?

    Nope! The particular model is a turd and throws you to the ground for no reason at all.

    Wake up.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Motorbike
    .
    Liked
    1569 times
    Posts
    5,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    It can be done.. did 3-4 days on a vtr 250 as the only 250 in the group, Denmark, Pemberton, Nannup and more.

    Wasn't easy, but a good experience.



    relooking at the pic.. I couldn't wait to upgrade.. now I think.. damn I miss her!
    Of course it can be done! Apart from Forrest Hwy between Mandurah and Bunbury there's no real hwy stretches where you're getting blasted by headwinds and crosswinds. You're also so busy enjoying the twisties and scenery that you don't realise the bike is buzzing off its tits at 120kph. I've done that route plenty of times with 250s tagging along no problem. But that route is only a little over 1000km, over 3 - 4 days that's a leisurely ride.
    Likes Nudge liked this post

  5. #45
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
    Choice of tyres / tyre pressure..?
    Suspension set up..?
    Rider's off-road ability..?

    Nope! The particular model is a turd and throws you to the ground for no reason at all.

    Wake up.

    Funnily enough, I've done 5000k's of largely NT dirt roads and tracks on one in the last 18 months.

    It's not a WR450 or an SXV but it is stable at WOT on rough dirt roads and easy to punt around.
    Likes Benzo liked this post

  6. #46
    Member Benzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Balcatta
    Motorbike
    Yamaha
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    Funnily enough, I've done 5000k's of largely NT dirt roads and tracks on one in the last 18 months.

    It's not a WR450 or an SXV but it is stable at WOT on rough dirt roads and easy to punt around.
    Yup. I literally sell bikes for a rival brand and I'll still happily attest to the fact that the DRZ (E, S, and SM) is more than capable on gravel, sand, rocks, ruts, the rest.

    If GreenMeanie can't handle a DRZ just on gravel then I don't think he's in any position to be making claims about how good a bike it is.

  7. #47
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
    Yup. I literally sell bikes for a rival brand and I'll still happily attest to the fact that the DRZ (E, S, and SM) is more than capable on gravel, sand, rocks, ruts, the rest.

    If GreenMeanie can't handle a DRZ just on gravel then I don't think he's in any position to be making claims about how good a bike it is.
    LOl. But to be fair, it may be good for the average Joe but overweight geriatric mantids may get spat off the thing a lot.

    Now if you want a bike that loses the front end in dirt easily, try a 1984 XT600 Tenere. Ate dirt on that one constantly.

  8. #48
    Member Hillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mundaring
    Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, R75, A100, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a SM on gravel is a bloody death trap! i rode down through the goat farm from the darlington lookout with the original dunlops on.. it went faster and more wildly out of control when i braked, but that's a pretty steep hill.
    on your average gravel track its no biggy just brake waaaaaay before a corner & easy on the throttle out.

    but it is true in the off road world bringing a DRZ400E on a bush ride is like a spoon at a gun fight, slow heavy tanks i bagged them out for years.. old mate rocked up on a DRZ "hope you have a hi-ab to pick it up when you fall over" "this is a ride not a louge room" etc

    the SM tho is different bike with its completely different suspension & swingarm, 150kg is light in the road world & with the 17's on good rubber sticks to the road no matter how hard you throw it in. you can not ride one like a road bike, counter lean.. if only they had a 6th gear, they are no WR or SXV but i bet my left nut it would keep going long after those to have called the ducati help line, sheeeet could prob tow them both

  9. #49
    Member DQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jindalee
    Motorbike
    '14 MT-09 El Trippo, '09 R1 El Bango, '08 CBR1000RR El Tracko,
    Liked
    820 times
    Posts
    3,309
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    they are no WR or SXV but i bet my left nut it would keep going long after those to have called the ducati help line
    Some DRZ's have been seen lapping SXV's on closed short circuits in recent times also


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

  10. #50
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've even slugged, pushed and dropped the bastard on shitty deep sand tracks with the original dunlops and still made it through. you're right about lean. High speed gravel is about anticipation, balance, getting the skill level to where the bike is floating under you but staying upright.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    Some DRZ's have been seen lapping SXV's on closed short circuits in recent times also


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, I've seen one very skilled rider killing around Collie on a shitty DRZ a few times.
    Likes Benzo liked this post

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    near a river
    Motorbike
    British twin
    Liked
    120 times
    Posts
    2,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt say thats all we did. Took the long back ways over 3 to 4 days. Fair bit more than 1000kms over 4 days. Bike was wot most of the time.

    The point is, this is good experience regardless. A 250 can do touring, and even the vtr could do a bit more than 120 with all that gear on it.

    When its windy the 250 particularly would get soammed when gusts would hit you passing farms or whatnot where there were clearings of the roadside trees.

    I think people are missing out sometimes by passing by the 250s/300s.
    All generalisations are false... including this one!

  12. #52
    Member GreenMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cardboard Box
    Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Posts
    3,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
    Yup. I literally sell bikes for a rival brand and I'll still happily attest to the fact that the DRZ (E, S, and SM) is more than capable on gravel, sand, rocks, ruts, the rest.

    If GreenMeanie can't handle a DRZ just on gravel then I don't think he's in any position to be making claims about how good a bike it is.
    Serious Cunt aren't we?
    Likes Benzo liked this post

  13. #53
    Member Nudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    perth
    Motorbike
    Street Triple R. Bye bye bandit :(
    Liked
    126 times
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    LOl. But to be fair, it may be good for the average Joe but overweight geriatric mantids may get spat off the thing a lot.

    Now if you want a bike that loses the front end in dirt easily, try a 1984 XT600 Tenere. Ate dirt on that one constantly.
    Lol - GreenMeanie either I have been talking to an imposter when I get out on rides coz 1 thing he ain't is fat!

    Xt600 & not the tenere I thought were ok pieces of kit. That tank on the big t I reckon with fuel on board would have been a challenge to keep upright with poor techniques. I say this for for my own experience- - I don't think I would have the abillity myself to punt those things along due to my very own at the time paperweight mass and strength. The tt600 was for its time a fucking hoot.
    You can't *burrrp* can't just post, just post anything you feel like morty, you just *burrp* just end up *burrp* end up hurting people's feelings morty I mean how, how would you like it if I said things that offended you morty?

  14. #54
    Member Benzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Balcatta
    Motorbike
    Yamaha
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Serious Cunt aren't we?
    Precious cunt, aren't we?

    Cry on, mate.

  15. #55
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudge View Post
    Lol - GreenMeanie either I have been talking to an imposter when I get out on rides coz 1 thing he ain't is fat!

    Xt600 & not the tenere I thought were ok pieces of kit. That tank on the big t I reckon with fuel on board would have been a challenge to keep upright with poor techniques. I say this for for my own experience- - I don't think I would have the abillity myself to punt those things along due to my very own at the time paperweight mass and strength. The tt600 was for its time a fucking hoot.
    Yeah I've met him too and he isn't. I was talking about some other mantid
    Likes Nudge liked this post

  16. #56
    Member pnork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Willagee, bloke.
    Motorbike
    Domenico & his cousin Alfredo.
    Liked
    122 times
    Posts
    1,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a mantid, anyway - do you mean manatee? I'm one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo
    cuntoxly

  17. #57
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    13,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    What's a mantid, anyway - do you mean manatee? I'm one of them.
    I'm guessing vv this?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantidae

    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  18. #58
    Member Aufitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Motorbike
    Motorcycling is dangerous
    Liked
    1557 times
    Posts
    5,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300's hit the sweet spot for lams,
    And the average motorcyclist skill level for that matter,
    I dont know enyone who could say with a straight face they can outride one.

    Went for a country twistys blast last weekend, zx14, Dyna, Fz600, cbr250rr mc22,
    And some other taggers i didnt know, but big bikes.
    And me on a cbr250 mc41 single, 23rwhp, 152 uphill, 171 downhill,
    on S20 sticky rubber.
    Albs, Torbay, Mcleod, Scotsdale, Mt Lidnsay, Denmark, Torbay, Albs.
    Halfway back to Atown i turned around and rode back to find everyone after a long wait.
    If i was on the r3 which easily does 193 on the level, and 199 downhill then the gap would open even more as a mix of conditions are always presennt.

    Big restricted barges are no fun.
    Ride Smarter
    We Need our Track Back.
    Likes Kaffine liked this post

  19. #59
    New Member Kaffine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Kallaroo
    Motorbike
    Honda CBR500RA
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Y'all

    First up big thanks for all your advise and insight it all helped towards the bike I ended up buying. I took a few bikes for a ride, tried to access the feel for what I intended to use it for. I didn't want a high rev screamer to rip up the road but still wanted that sporty style also not something I needed to wring its neck to get that evil grin from behind the visor. So with a balance of looks, low end torque and of course price I ended up getting a 2014 CBR500RA, in red of course ..

    So again thanks, and hope to catch up with you all on the road sometime..
    Likes Sprint, Aufitt, Smithee, Para045 liked this post

  20. #60
    Member Aufitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Motorbike
    Motorcycling is dangerous
    Liked
    1557 times
    Posts
    5,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffine View Post
    Hey Y'all

    First up big thanks for all your advise and insight it all helped towards the bike I ended up buying. I took a few bikes for a ride, tried to access the feel for what I intended to use it for. I didn't want a high rev screamer to rip up the road but still wanted that sporty style also not something I needed to wring its neck to get that evil grin from behind the visor. So with a balance of looks, low end torque and of course price I ended up getting a 2014 CBR500RA, in red of course ..

    So again thanks, and hope to catch up with you all on the road sometime..
    Good choice, good balance, bit of a lazy tractor engine but 'Its a Honda'
    Wont let you down.
    Ride Smarter
    We Need our Track Back.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •