0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Bike dilemma

Hi Y'all

So as it stands I've had my C class for 20 odd years, I've got my L's and now trying to decide on what direction to go with my first bike. Do I get a cheap 250 to learn on and get me through the first 3-6 months of riding the more likely time I'm going to drop the bike, or do I buy the MT-07 or Street 660 get my road craft on that but do my lessons and test on the instructors 125/250.

Any advise is appreciated

Cheers
    Kaff..

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an MT-07 new from cullys this time last year
    lessons on instructors Honda 125
    test on same
    passed test and went home
    jumped on MT07 and I've been having a ball ever since!
    Likes Kaffine, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffine View Post
    Hi Y'all

So as it stands I've had my C class for 20 odd years, I've got my L's and now trying to decide on what direction to go with my first bike. Do I get a cheap 250 to learn on and get me through the first 3-6 months of riding the more likely time I'm going to drop the bike, or do I buy the MT-07 or Street 660 get my road craft on that but do my lessons and test on the instructors 125/250.

Any advise is appreciated

Cheers
    Kaff..
    Buy whatever you want, just don't buy a LAMS bike brand new. You'll sell it within a year and lose a few thousand on it. My first bike was a Honda CBF250 (before LAMS), I sold it for more than I paid for it.

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500RA
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply, Looks like going to the bigger bike straight up seems to be the general recommendation, just wanted to hear it from the Bike community not just the sales guys as they obviously have a vested interest in the answer.

Dwillia: I think I'll end up going the MT-07 as its been recommended by soo many people, The trumpy is awesome just not sure if its $4K more awesome...

Speed Dealer: I'm going the MT-07 and the second hand options aren't much cheaper than new and if they are they seem to have quite a few KM's on them, I'd rather pay the 500-1000 more for new and be sure of what I'm getting. Thanks fore the advise though if one comes up that looks the good I'll make some inquiries.

Motorbike
    The same one everyday
    Liked
    149 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know plenty of people who splashed out on a new RE bike, and have continued riding them (and stayed on RE) for years with no regrets. That said, it wouldn't be for me. If I was starting again, I would go for a cheapy 2nd hand LAMs, maybe a hyo 650 naked or something similar, and save my pennies for a open class bike when the time was up.

Maybe if you are into the Street Tirples, saving for a bit longer and getting the new ST RS would be the go.

On the other hand, if the MT's are holding value, you could do both...
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you can never be sure they are real".
    Likes GTSam liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffine View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, Looks like going to the bigger bike straight up seems to be the general recommendation, just wanted to hear it from the Bike community not just the sales guys as they obviously have a vested interest in the answer.

Dwillia: I think I'll end up going the MT-07 as its been recommended by soo many people, The trumpy is awesome just not sure if its $4K more awesome...

Speed Dealer: I'm going the MT-07 and the second hand options aren't much cheaper than new and if they are they seem to have quite a few KM's on them, I'd rather pay the 500-1000 more for new and be sure of what I'm getting. Thanks fore the advise though if one comes up that looks the good I'll make some inquiries.
    yeah not having any mechanical knowledge of bikes at the time I was prepared to cop any depreciation for the piece of mind that the bike was new and unmolested.

I'll probably keep it for another year anyway - no regrets at all
    Likes INTJ liked this post

Motorbike
    '14 MT-09 El Trippo, '09 R1 El Bango, '08 CBR1000RR El Tracko,
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SXV550 is LAMs-approved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad
    Likes =Maz= liked this post

Motorbike
    2006 Suzuki GSX1400, 2008 Suzuki SV650
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a twin like DQ has suggested and learn to outride the bike.
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter
    Likes SinRose, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could do it all again I would keep my new/demo CBR500R. As people point out, buying a new LAMS is a money sink if you sell in the first year - I paid about $7,000 for it and sold it a year later for $4,500. If I kept it a few more years, I bet I could still sell it for around $4,000. It certainly wouldn't continue depreciating at $2,500 per year.

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite strongly believe for a first bike go a cheap second hand 250/300. There are a lot of them out there and it doesn't have to be a ninja (the first one that comes to a lot of peoples minds at the mention of 250/300) if that doesn't float your boat there are more options. Do your first year on that as once you obtain your RE license the learning is far from over, some would even say that is when your learning really begins. I wouldn't worry about having less power on a smaller bike, it teaches you how to hold your speed through a corner instead of just gassing it on the straights. Plus with second hand it means if (when) any damage comes to it you wont be as heart broken.

Also if you buy a cheapy and later find out bikes aren't for you its less money out of your pocket at resale time. Or if you find you love riding then go get your R class in that year, sell the first bike for close to what you paid for it, then go get that unrestricted MT-07 or 9.
    Likes =Maz=, Para045, SinRose liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Get license.
    2. Go test ride as many bikes as you want.
    3. Buy the bike that you enjoy the most.

Enjoyment can come from the appearance, position, power, sound.

I'd go a CBR500R if I was new and didn't have the mechanical knowledge I have. But I'm tall, maybe you're not, so find out for yourself.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    SXV550 is LAMs-approved
    The SXV and I had a love affair that lasted 6 months before and then 5 months after I got my R class. It's not a suitable learner bike, but holy fuck was it fun

Unfortunately, it's a bit too much bike for some..

Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes dwillia, Mr Bean, =Maz=, DQ, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't even bother with a LAMS bike, just go pick out your dream bike and buy that then get lessons and use the instructors bike to get your R-E licence.
    During the 12 months wait to test for your R licence you can be riding your dream bike with a shadow or instructor instead of being stuck with a learner bike you're just planning to drop anyway.
    You wouldn't plan to drop your dream bike so this path will save you an insurance claim or trying to sell a damaged bike down the track.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.
    Likes Ryanoceros, Benzo liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for most road noobies a lams will be fine for the daily commute for many years, but if your a dedicated rider buy a fun lams bike that you will want to keep as a spare and still have fun on once you have a open class bike..
    in the end bikes are about making you feel good, making or losing money is part of the game to having fun

just make sure you don't have a miss's like mine, "you don't need this many bikes, sell this one and that one.. blah blah blah"
    you can rego 2 bikes for less than 1 4x4
    Likes Mr Bean liked this post

Motorbike
    Plausible Denial
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think you could go wrong with any of the new breed of LAMS bikes for a first bike, IMO just buy one thats been LAMS purpose built not a big one nobbled to fit the category. ive ridden an MT-07 LAMS , nice little bike, goes surprisingly real well however it felt a little compact for me, there was no wind protection, i like a bit of bike around me, no ABS ( uh-oh , here we go again ) which i reckon for a learner, on the road, worthwhile these days, especially as its now standard kit on a lot of bikes.

ive also ridden the CBR500rr , again nice little bike but different, has some wind protection, slightly bigger, has ABS, anything mainstream well looked after will have resale and enough of a bike as a general hack, general duties bike, runaround or commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    in the end bikes are about making you feel good, making or losing money is part of the game to having fun
    winner
    Last edited by Heretic; 13-01-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ninja 300 / YZF-R3 / RC 390 or Duke 390 would be my pick if I was buying a newer bike. They're easy to handle, parts are relatively easy to get, and they'll tick almost every box. The only way you could have more fun on LAMS is when your clothes are off
    Rest in Peace

A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bought a 2000 gpx 250 for $500. learnt on it. used it in test. rode fuck outta it for a year. got big bike. it now sits in the shed as backup bike if anything goes wrong of somone in the family wants to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...
    Likes potato liked this post

Motorbike
    '14 MT-09 El Trippo, '09 R1 El Bango, '08 CBR1000RR El Tracko,
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ninja 300 / YZF-R3 / RC 390 or Duke 390 would be my pick if I was buying a newer bike. They're easy to handle, parts are relatively easy to get, and they'll tick almost every box. The only way you could have more fun on LAMS is when your clothes are off
    I'd hate to say this... but I kinda agree with you for once. Any of the above bikes would be perfect to learn you roadcraft on. Friends have been known to be quicker on these than when on their bigger capacity bikes and having a fuckload more fun at the same time.

Buy bigger bike when it's time. Keep the small one, convert it and become a Production Racing God in no time. Instant PSB forum riding cred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll never forget the sight of =Maz= front running an FNR on his RC390 with missing body panels, while we mere mortals on our 600/1000cc sportsbikes were struggling to keep up
    Rest in Peace

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SXV and I had a love affair that lasted 6 months before and then 5 months after I got my R class. It's not a suitable learner bike, but holy fuck was it fun

Unfortunately, it's a bit too much bike for some..

At least this bike gets treated correctly now 😂
    Likes potato, DQ, paulie803, GreenMeanie liked this post