Thread: Jobless electrician

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been through these cycles before.

The price pressure is coming from everywhere and will affect wages. I talk to very few people who are not suffering from undercutting of prices across the board and the financial people have the brakes on pretty heavy at the moment.

Grow a thick skin and get into politics or road building.

Colin, Malcolm and Trump will save us, they said so.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits
    Likes Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda Vfr 1200
    Liked
    68 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Try Southern Mining electrical contractor's.
    Biscayne way, Jandakot.
    Tp.
    Likes vosHonda liked this post

Motorbike
    CB500X
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    We have been through these cycles before.

The price pressure is coming from everywhere and will affect wages. I talk to very few people who are not suffering from undercutting of prices across the board and the financial people have the brakes on pretty heavy at the moment.

Grow a thick skin and get into politics or road building.

Colin, Malcolm and Trump will save us, they said so.
    Mr. Reagan and Mr.Obama used to promise the same to US.
    Have a good one.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vosHonda View Post
    Mr. Reagan and Mr.Obama used to promise the same to US.
    Well the U.S.A. has a lower unemployment rate than us.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our work will possibly advertise soon for at least 2 sparkies...keep your eyes on the workers wanted thread...I will post there as soon as I know more...
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au
    Likes pnork liked this post

Motorbike
    CB500X
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Our work will possibly advertise soon for at least 2 sparkies...keep your eyes on the workers wanted thread...I will post there as soon as I know more...
    Thanks mate :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well the U.S.A. has a lower unemployment rate than us.
    And a huge numbers homeless people (((
    Have a good one.

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Shortage of quality trades only going to get worse.

No kid wants to do a trade, and high school (when I graduated in 2004) is a "uni or loser" approach.
    Don't worry... they'll just get 457s in again. Short term solutions for long term problems. WA specialty...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes henrys, SPman, Chris1000 liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    I was in the same boat ~15 years ago as a cabinetmaker, highly qualified in all aspects including solid timber work, synthetic benchtop fabrication and shopfitting and I was getting better money just doing install work on site and even that wasn't brilliant
    All the builders were pushing down wages/cutting subbies rates and not bothering about training apprentices so a lot of good tradespeople including myself said fuck this got out of the industry
    Issues with my back, new kid etc didn't help when I was busting my arse for fuckall

Fast forward a few years and the building industry started to go gangbusters and suddenly all the builders are screaming that they can't get decent tradies and are using any dropkick that can screw a box together and having to pay them top dollar for shit work and the customers are going WTF as they were getting charged big $ for shit quality work It wasn't just cabinetmakers either but brickies/roofers etc as well

I was doing jobs on the side in between shifts for a while but eventually even gave that up as I could make the same money for less effort by doing an OT shift at work
    I'm not looking back. Happy to advise any apprentices or young tradies (and will have a fire sale on tools at a later date) as there was a time I was proud of being a sparky and would love to help pass some knowledge on (yep, feel free any apprentices to hit me up if you need any advice or have any questions that the tradie at work may not know).
    Loving the new career path. Get to do something I'm absolutely passionate about every day and get paid for it...

Likes INTJ, Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gim View Post
    This is why, after 30 years as an electrician in WA, I've pulled the pin on the industry.
    I wish I had a contact for the out of work apprentice above but just about all the decent people I knew have left the industry as well...
    The problem is apprentice these days are cheap labour and thanks to OHS can't do much and its not the same training as when I was a apprentice we had to have to van stocked/know what needed to order from the wholesaler, if the cordless battery tool went flat it was put on charge straight away. You did all the paperwork for invoicing, rcd readings etc, no Jha or jsa to do. You were the one in the roof not the tradie, you were the one to get all materials/tools and the one to put away. If you had a better way of doing something you would get a yelled at/written warning for not knowing your place and shutting the f*ck up.

Now can't even get apprentices to follow simply instructions and aren't electrically smart if the fuse or breaker is blowing they want to put a bigger fuse/breaker in doesn't help there on drugs every day can't remember anything I taught them.

And now you get praised if your a quick worker not praised for doing quality work.
    RiDe F@sT.. HaVe F).. PlAy Ld
    Likes Gim, marras liked this post

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a trademan today ,it's like sitting on a chair an trying to lift it at the same time.
    The mind is like a parachute it only works when it's open.
    Likes Stephan, caspa liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    The problem is apprentice these days are cheap labour and thanks to OHS can't do much and its not the same training as when I was a apprentice we had to have to van stocked/know what needed to order from the wholesaler, if the cordless battery tool went flat it was put on charge straight away. You did all the paperwork for invoicing, rcd readings etc, no Jha or jsa to do. You were the one in the roof not the tradie, you were the one to get all materials/tools and the one to put away. If you had a better way of doing something you would get a yelled at/written warning for not knowing your place and shutting the f*ck up.

Now can't even get apprentices to follow simply instructions and aren't electrically smart if the fuse or breaker is blowing they want to put a bigger fuse/breaker in doesn't help there on drugs every day can't remember anything I taught them.

And now you get praised if your a quick worker not praised for doing quality work.
    Yep, yep and yep.
    There is the occasional kid that comes through that has a vast knowledge and higher understanding but the majority it's just a job.
    No battery drills when I did my time. Old eggbeater drill. No rcds. There were a few around but only for the corporate/commercial places and have a high rate of nuisance tripping . Rewirable fuses with the occasional circuit breaker coming through. Test for live was touch it with the back of your hand or seriesed up oven globes.
    It's not all the apprentices fault these days though. To much OHandS and political correctness and as you said, too much emphasis on speed over quality..
    Good luck guys and will post back here if I hear of anything that comes up or is in the pipeline.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who the fuck has been hiring your apprentices? I'd be blaming them for hiring imbeciles. To generalise and group all apprentices into that description is unfair and unfounded. Yeh there's some no hopers about, like the apprentice who instead of studying with us the night before Capstone, went to the pub for darts night and turned up for the exam hungover. But they're not the majority.
    Last edited by Speed Dealer; 21-01-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you the best of luck, voshonda, I started my apprenticeship 1977 for a joinery frim before cordless drills and a panel saw. Bloody radial arm saw that the romans built. On a dirt floor.coverd in sawdust. With diving boots on...........blar...blar...blar.... I'm not here to put a feather in me cap. But apart from all the hardships our generation had to endure. The one thing I remember an always will ,are the tradesmen who taught me an it didn't matter if they where in your crew , could be a electrical,roofie,plumber,,,,,an so on, But it was the characters that where the biggest influence. These bloke with there glandestone bags.a post war at attitude, a tin of tabcoo,the kingswood country blokes are all but gone now,

Apart from all the skills we have today, it's just a shame that those characters are no longer with us.

How lucky where we.
    The mind is like a parachute it only works when it's open.
    Likes vosHonda, Stephan, Para045, SPman liked this post

Motorbike
    CB500X
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltie View Post
    I wish you the best of luck, voshonda, I started my apprenticeship 1977 for a joinery frim before cordless drills and a panel saw. Bloody radial arm saw that the romans built. On a dirt floor.coverd in sawdust. With diving boots on...........blar...blar...blar.... I'm not here to put a feather in me cap. But apart from all the hardships our generation had to endure. The one thing I remember an always will ,are the tradesmen who taught me an it didn't matter if they where in your crew , could be a electrical,roofie,plumber,,,,,an so on, But it was the characters that where the biggest influence. These bloke with there glandestone bags.a post war at attitude, a tin of tabcoo,the kingswood country blokes are all but gone now,

Apart from all the skills we have today, it's just a shame that those characters are no longer with us.

How lucky where we.
    Exactly, I`ve started my career in 1982. Navy yard as marine elec. When I came to Perth I`ve got job offer on 3rd day after plane landed. I gave my knowledge to about 15-20 apprentices. Any way, we will survive, I believe.
    Have a good one.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaah the good old days.

That would be when the Government trained 50% of trades, including those that got the flick after their companies went broke.

Now we have privatised everything because free enterprise does it better (read cheaper) and there is a lack of well trained tradies, who'd have thunk it.
    Likes marras, Crim, Para045, SPman liked this post

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any joy with Fredon?

There's a comms/data contract being tendered currently, same site, same project.... can let you know who wins it if you like (some weeks before tender/award process will mature) as they're likely to want to ramp up resources to meet program.

I get the stuff about then vs now... i enjoyed a fantastic apprenticeship for MNMCo in Port Hedland... couldn't have wished for a better, more interesting & diverse trade training.
    Qualified in 1984. Left the trade immediately, but did go back (in a time of financial hardship/need) much later for a couple of years.

Anyhoo... best of luck, i know being on the bench is very stressful if you don't have a big stash to tide you over.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Motorbike
    CB500X
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
    Any joy with Fredon?

There's a comms/data contract being tendered currently, same site, same project.... can let you know who wins it if you like (some weeks before tender/award process will mature) as they're likely to want to ramp up resources to meet program.

I get the stuff about then vs now... i enjoyed a fantastic apprenticeship for MNMCo in Port Hedland... couldn't have wished for a better, more interesting & diverse trade training.
    Qualified in 1984. Left the trade immediately, but did go back (in a time of financial hardship/need) much later for a couple of years.

Anyhoo... best of luck, i know being on the bench is very stressful if you don't have a big stash to tide you over.

S.
    Not yet
    Have a good one.

Motorbike
    Crims
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaah the good old days.

That would be when the Government trained 50% of trades, including those that got the flick after their companies went broke.

Now we have privatised everything because free enterprise does it better (read cheaper) and there is a lack of well trained tradies, who'd have thunk it.
    As regards apprenticeship opportunities, this is the most significant development that has occurred over the past 25 years.

Lack of newly qualified trades coming through has led to a huge influx of 457 visa holders which in turn has led to some unscrupulous employers exploiting the system & the workers.

Proliferation of "body shops" has led to employer hands off approach to employees & lack of accountability.

Many years ago, a lot of the guys I worked with had done their time at the Midland Railway Yards which proved to be a great training ground & feeder of trades into the workforce. All that disappeared when the state government of the day shut it down.
    Likes Mr Bean, SPman liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Who the fuck has been hiring your apprentices? I'd be blaming them for hiring imbeciles. To generalise and group all apprentices into that description is unfair and unfounded. Yeh there's some no hopers about, like the apprentice who instead of studying with us the night before Capstone, went to the pub for darts night and turned up for the exam hungover. But they're not the majority.
    It's ok can just keep re seating the capstone till you pass, we have our newly licensed electrician decide it was a good idea in broad daylight in the company car with logos to have a Dutch oven going on with one of the dodgy apprentices.

The main boss of the company hires people but his too busy to even read or forward my daily reports/pictures/readings to supervisor, it's only when shit hits the fan that the reports get read. But it is wide spread it's only like yourself who are mature age apprentice are any good but employers would rather pay the low pay.

Also employers want the job done quick so they can invoice, they don't want a pile of jobs that need parts. And KPI look good if you get jobs signed off quick. Even tradies that have been in the game for 50years will do a sub standard job to win contracts.

IE. A board for a canteen was full needed upgrading for more room and RCDs but he put forward a sub board over the competitor which would cost less, look good on paper, get more room but just a bandaid the board needed upgrading anyway.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's ok can just keep re seating the capstone till you pass, we have our newly licensed electrician decide it was a good idea in broad daylight in the company car with logos to have a Dutch oven going on with one of the dodgy apprentices.

The main boss of the company hires people but his too busy to even read or forward my daily reports/pictures/readings to supervisor, it's only when shit hits the fan that the reports get read. But it is wide spread it's only like yourself who are mature age apprentice are any good but employers would rather pay the low pay.

Also employers want the job done quick so they can invoice, they don't want a pile of jobs that need parts. And KPI look good if you get jobs signed off quick. Even tradies that have been in the game for 50years will do a sub standard job to win contracts.

IE. A board for a canteen was full needed upgrading for more room and RCDs but he put forward a sub board over the competitor which would cost less, look good on paper, get more room but just a bandaid the board needed upgrading anyway.
    Actually you make a good point about mature age apprentices. Both mobs I worked for during my apprenticeship only hired mature age apprentices. The government division I was with for my final two years, I was the youngest apprentice at 26 years old, and the oldest was mid 40s.