User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 282

Thread: The Insurance Thread

  1. #21
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey rubin.

    Are you looking to provide personal advice in accordance with ASIC's regulations and your AFS Licensee's guidelines?

    Or simply provide as much generic content as you are able?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Sprint liked this post

  2. #22
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    16,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    Informative post! I only have one question?

    Do premiums increase if you happen to ride an R6 and travel through the intersection of newcastle and palmerstone on a Sunday evening (9-10PM)?
    Not if it's a near miss only a collision unless you could prove that the near miss caused you to crash


    Quote Originally Posted by doopah View Post
    As an ex panel beater I have dealt with many assessors and never had a problem with shannons however they are ridiculously more expensive than Swann when it comes to bikes. They didn't even care about my monitored gps tracking device fitted. There are many differences in the policies compared to Swann which I'm happier to accept for the price difference
    Just a pity that unless you are riding your bike less than a few times a week then they wont insure you They say they'll insure "your daily driver" but not a daily rider


    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Huh, that's odd, I've never been asked the training question. I've been asked where I park at home (ie on the street, open carport, garage) but never about training. Could be I'm too old though, old dogs, new tricks etc etc
    +1 I've been asked several times with both bike and car whether it's in a locked garage or carport and that does affect the price even though the carport is enclosed from the street they don't classify it as secure enough, never been asked about training! Maybe they just reckon I'm awesome enough without it
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  3. #23
    Member potato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    your paint/scratched it/crashed it smash repair shop
    Motorbike
    rattly v-twins-love em
    Liked
    1127 times
    Posts
    9,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    I just did an online quote..?.. with Swann for bike waste of fkn time... But I was directed to the pay page in 9 clicks.....:-)

    Coles...? don't insure bikes?

    So now I have a GSX 250 SSM import Katana....AANNNDDDDD an Aristo TT I can't get insured...wtf?

    I don't have extra 3rd party on the ute

    And the GSX 1100 is never gonna get a policy... now is it..?

    And I need insurance...because....? ( I'm a goody 2 shoes'.....yeh nah..)
    try Famous or Enthusiasts insurance...................

    you should be able to google them


    Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

    insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

    dianella 93703770
    Likes GsxInShed liked this post

  4. #24
    Member rubin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    where money grows
    Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    rubin Why is it that when I get a full comp quote from different insurers, I get asked "Have you done a motorcycle training course in the last x years or x months", and yet whether or not I answer that I get no change (better or worse) in my insurance quote ? Am I too young (22) to get some sort of change because of that ? Or is my bike deemed "high risk" regardless of the rider's background because it's a faired supersport ? Always wanted to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by nos View Post
    Same for me with swann.

    Training/no training, locked/unlocked garage make no difference to my premium, so I go no training and unlocked just in case they are trying to be sneaky and loophole me out of a payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Huh, that's odd, I've never been asked the training question. I've been asked where I park at home (ie on the street, open carport, garage) but never about training. Could be I'm too old though, old dogs, new tricks etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakka View Post
    Perfect combo.. jack up the price, I would wouldn't you? In another 20 years you will look back and think I was lucky to get away with that, or say I did dumb shit when I was younger... the insurers know how it works. Young blokes are invincible - I was too at that stage but I woke up which my insurer knows now!!
    Some ask, some don't. I'd be surprised if it saves you much more than 2 or 3% of the premiums paid. Unless u have a certificate for it - say no.

    Apparently, studies have shown that advanced driver training helps behind the wheel and reduces the chance accidents by as much as 40%, but due to lack of protection on a bike, the same can't be said for advanced rider training.

    As far as rating goes, the biggest factors (outside of the bikes actual value) will be riders age, road experience, and the type of bike.

    Top end Ducati's, big ninja's (ie the new h2), and moto gp replica bikes (paint schemes etc) will also attract higher premiums as they are targets for thieves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

  5. #25
    Member rubin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    where money grows
    Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Hey rubin.

    Are you looking to provide personal advice in accordance with ASIC's regulations and your AFS Licensee's guidelines?

    Or simply provide as much generic content as you are able?
    I won't be giving anyone personal advice on here. If you have a specific question you can pm and I'll see what I can do to help.

    If you are seeking specific and detailed personal advice, taking into account your circumstances etc, pm me and we'll do it properly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Member Sprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The future
    Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Posts
    10,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    I thought it may best to start an Insurance thread itself, where I am happy to offer advice, suggestions or solutions to any problems or issues you may have.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    I won't be giving anyone personal advice on here. If you have a specific question you can pm and I'll see what I can do to help.

    If you are seeking specific and detailed personal advice, taking into account your circumstances etc, pm me and we'll do it properly.
    Loud and clear?
    For clarity - are you wanting people to set up a consultation with you (and hence, are using this thread to spruik your services), or are you happy to answer queries, gratis, in this thread?

    S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

  7. #27
    Member rubin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    where money grows
    Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Insurance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
    Loud and clear?
    For clarity - are you wanting people to set up a consultation with you (and hence, are using this thread to spruik your services), or are you happy to answer queries, gratis, in this thread?

    S.
    I'm happy to answer queries, questions etc.

    What Loud is referring to goes further than that. I.e on here my answers will be as specific as I can without being defined as personal advice.

    If you want personal advice taking into account your personal circumstances, I'm happy to help, but it needs to be done properly and not in a public forum.

    Technically domestic insurance (private home, car, bike etc) is retail or general advice anyway, but I didn't think I needed to go into the specifics or provide disclaimers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BillyBoof liked this post

  8. #28
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't starting an Insurance thread, providing a resume of your experience and suggesting people PM you for personal advice tantamount to advertising, while stating that you aren't advertising?

    And isn't retail insurance advice the very type of personal advice that is covered by ASIC, requiring either PS/RG146/Tier II qualifications and an Authorised Representative Licensed to operate by your AFS/ADSL? Know your Client / Know your Product?

    I only ask as an experienced and qualified Financial Planner / Insurance Provider BDM / Claims Manager / Compliance Officer.

    It's why I asked. If you're on here to provide general info such as "read your PDS" or fact based info, no probs. If you're here to provide opinion cart blanche on an open forum or solicit PMs to give advice and gain clients, not so cochre for a non-Supporter or by ASIC.

    Wholesale advice to sophisticated clients is very different to personal advice for retail products...
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes FJ Steve, XSorXpire, GHETTO liked this post

  9. #29
    Member rubin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    where money grows
    Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Insurance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Isn't starting an Insurance thread, providing a resume of your experience and suggesting people PM you for personal advice tantamount to advertising, while stating that you aren't advertising?

    And isn't retail insurance advice the very type of personal advice that is covered by ASIC, requiring either PS/RG146/Tier II qualifications and an Authorised Representative Licensed to operate by your AFS/ADSL? Know your Client / Know your Product?

    I only ask as an experienced and qualified Financial Planner / Insurance Provider BDM / Claims Manager / Compliance Officer.

    It's why I asked. If you're on here to provide general info such as "read your PDS" or fact based info, no probs. If you're here to provide opinion cart blanche on an open forum or solicit PMs to give advice and gain clients, not so cochre for a non-Supporter or by ASIC.

    Wholesale advice to sophisticated clients is very different to personal advice for retail products...
    I'm not advertising anything, simply offering some assistance. Pretty sure I said in the OP, I'm not trying to sell anything, just hoping to offer some assistance where I can.

    My statement that if you have something specific you can PM me etc is simply if people are so inclined. I am not telling them to do so, and if someone asks a question that cannot be answered with general information etc, I will so advise.

    My statement about the PM and doing it properly is exactly that. I'm not going to do anything to prejudice my license and job.

    Again, I'm happy to provide all the disclaimers and detailed information if that would make you feel more comfortable, but I'm not trying to pick up new clients etc through this forum. I really didn't think it was necessary to go into the specific legislations/rules/ASIC compliance etc as most people will have no idea and I'm not offering any personal advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Ryanoceros, Water pig, Mr Bean, Yakka liked this post

  10. #30
    Member TROUBLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A Tree House in the Amazon :)
    Motorbike
    A Blek one.....
    Liked
    319 times
    Posts
    6,821
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Insurance Companies are........... WANKERS..............

    read their fine print gibberish bullshit
    Last edited by TROUBLE; 21-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    What You See

    Isn't always what you get
    Likes Halo_2, xor, Pucara @ JDSTUDIO liked this post

  11. #31
    Member FJ Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where I am
    Motorbike
    a couch
    Liked
    176 times
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    All Insurance Companies are........... WANKERS..............

    read their fine print gibberish bullshit
    until your property is stolen/smashed/ruined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

    http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator
    Likes Sauer liked this post

  12. #32
    Member Water pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Yanchep
    Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    I'm not advertising anything, simply offering some assistance. Pretty sure I said in the OP, I'm not trying to sell anything, just hoping to offer some assistance where I can.

    My statement that if you have something specific you can PM me etc is simply if people are so inclined. I am not telling them to do so, and if someone asks a question that cannot be answered with general information etc, I will so advise.

    My statement about the PM and doing it properly is exactly that. I'm not going to do anything to prejudice my license and job.

    Again, I'm happy to provide all the disclaimers and detailed information if that would make you feel more comfortable, but I'm not trying to pick up new clients etc through this forum. I really didn't think it was necessary to go into the specific legislations/rules/ASIC compliance etc as most people will have no idea and I'm not offering any personal advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    It seems obvious to me that all Rubin is trying to do is give people general advise for questions that they might have but don't know who to ask. Much like when someone posts asking for how to fix something or other on their bike, from people with more experience than themselves . Forums are a great way of sharing and expanding everyone's knowledge base. Not everyone is trying to sell stuff 24 7.
    Likes rubin, Para045, Mr Bean, Adomora, Sauer and 3 others liked this post

  13. #33
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    I'm not advertising anything, simply offering some assistance. Pretty sure I said in the OP, I'm not trying to sell anything, just hoping to offer some assistance where I can.

    My statement that if you have something specific you can PM me etc is simply if people are so inclined. I am not telling them to do so, and if someone asks a question that cannot be answered with general information etc, I will so advise.

    My statement about the PM and doing it properly is exactly that. I'm not going to do anything to prejudice my license and job.

    Again, I'm happy to provide all the disclaimers and detailed information if that would make you feel more comfortable, but I'm not trying to pick up new clients etc through this forum. I really didn't think it was necessary to go into the specific legislations/rules/ASIC compliance etc as most people will have no idea and I'm not offering any personal advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " as most people will have no idea and I'm not offering personal advice" 'Cept by P.M. mmmm "what you sayin' Willis..?"
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  14. #34
    Member TROUBLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A Tree House in the Amazon :)
    Motorbike
    A Blek one.....
    Liked
    319 times
    Posts
    6,821
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    until your property is stolen/smashed/ruined.
    Still wankers.
    What You See

    Isn't always what you get
    Likes Pucara @ JDSTUDIO liked this post

  15. #35
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    Still wankers.
    How'd you get on with "the side swipe fuktard."...?

    Wapol show any interest..? in the vid..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  16. #36
    Member TROUBLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A Tree House in the Amazon :)
    Motorbike
    A Blek one.....
    Liked
    319 times
    Posts
    6,821
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope.. And Insurance wanted me to foot the bill.

    WANKERS...
    What You See

    Isn't always what you get
    Likes Para045 liked this post

  17. #37
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    16,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    It seems obvious to me that all Rubin is trying to do is give people general advise for questions that they might have but don't know who to ask. Much like when someone posts asking for how to fix something or other on their bike, from people with more experience than themselves . Forums are a great way of sharing and expanding everyone's knowledge base. Not everyone is trying to sell stuff 24 7.
    That is what I took from the post especially given the highlighted section Many on here need to insure their oil rig or pipline?

    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    My primary focus is offshore marine and energy, but I have been involved in both underwriting, claims and broking of personal products (home, contents, motor etc) in the past,
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kardinya
    Motorbike
    CB250RS & ZRX1200R
    Liked
    78 times
    Posts
    639
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    Remember, they are there to help you, but you need to help yourself first.
    Wrong. They are there to make a profit. They do this by effectively taking a bet on the risk and cost you may cause them. They do this for a lot of people and therefore it averages out and one claim, which may be too big a cost for one person to bear becomes bearable. And to make a profit out of this they add the cost of their advertising, staff, plus a margin on this cost. All the feelgoodstuff is marketing gibberish!
    Likes TROUBLE, xor liked this post

  19. #39
    Member MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canning Vale
    Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Posts
    1,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbo85 View Post
    Wrong. They are there to make a profit. They do this by effectively taking a bet on the risk and cost you may cause them. They do this for a lot of people and therefore it averages out and one claim, which may be too big a cost for one person to bear becomes bearable. And to make a profit out of this they add the cost of their advertising, staff, plus a margin on this cost. All the feelgoodstuff is marketing gibberish!
    Yes indeed. It's called a 'business'.
    I used to work for a major international company. None of their company cars were insured. In countries where insurance was a legal requirement they underwrote themselves. It was cheaper for them to do this (take the risk themselves) than to insure their fleet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr

  20. #40
    Member dwillia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nollamara
    Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anybody knows any companies that insure moped riders <16 years of age? mate at work is finding it difficult to get for his son...Any brokers around?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •