Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xphread View Post
    I know operators need to be registered and accredited, if operating UAVs over 2kg for commercial purposes. (of which I doubt police operations would be classed under CASA definitions of commercial because its not a for-fee service)
    However, there is no registration required or available for drones themselves (unless you start to carry human cargo) - and there is usually no requirement to submit flight plans because you can't operate in controlled airspace.

Very interesting... was this because you were operating for commercial purposes - say over a populated area? (or were you operating in controlled airspace?)
    Because I have not heard of CASA getting involved in the remote controlled aircraft scene, except for where controlled airspace has been breached...
    Nope neither commercial or controlled airspace. It did manage to crash on someone's roof which resulted in a few cracked tiles. They contacted their insurance company which I assume is how Casa found out, unless someone else reported it. They basically just wanted to know that I understood the rules and regulations as technically I was in breach of them as the drone went beyond line of sight (1.7km to be exact) after the gps failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes xphread liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM 390 Duke | KTM 250 EXC-F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested:
    https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-pag...ones-australia

I know a little bit about flying contraptions, inhabited by beings of any gender or not, so feel free to AMA. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to make something up that sounds correct to the untrained pleb.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xphread View Post
    I know operators need to be registered and accredited, if operating UAVs over 2kg for commercial purposes. (of which I doubt police operations would be classed under CASA definitions of commercial because its not a for-fee service)

Sorry I miss typed, I meant the cops would need to be registered to use it (not the drone itself ) and from my brief read of the regs it would be classified as commercial use as they are getting paid to use the drone It appeared that it didn't take much to be considered "commercial use"

The term adopted by CASA to define commercial UAV/UAS/RPAS use. Any form of remuneration for flying an unmanned aircraft in an aerial work Operation (AWO), however small the AWO task, the reward or UAV; it constitutes ‘hire & reward’ and is therefore defined as commercial.
    Given we've had issues at work with wanting staff to have a particular class (F) to transport prisoners because they are getting paid to do the job even though it's not payment directly for that particular prisoner it does appear from the way it's written that any form of payment or reward would be classified as commercial and require the cops to be registered
    Also unless they have constant visual contact with their eyes it's a no go, or if within 30m of other people also a no go and forget about use at night

Standard Operating Conditions
    ▸You must only fly during the day and keep your RPA within visual line-of sight (VLOS) - close enough to see, maintain orientation and achieve accurate flight and tracking. ▸This means being able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view (FPV)) at all times.
    ▸You must only fly your RPA during the daytime only (not after sunset).
    ▸You must keep your RPA at least 30 metres away from other people i.e. any person who is not charged with duties essential to the safe operation of a remotely piloted aircraft.
    ▸You must keep your RPA away from prohibited/restricted areas.
    ▸You must not fly your RPA over any area where, in the event of a loss of control or failure, you create an unreasonable hazard to the safety of people and property on the ground (populous area).
    ▸You must keep your RPA at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes - one with an operating control tower.
    ▸You must not fly your RPA over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). ▸This could include situations such as a traffic accident, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue.

The biggest one I see is that to use a small 100g-2kg drone you must
    Notify CASA five business days before flying

That is just how it looks to me from the way it's written as an outsider
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator