User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81

Thread: XR650R supermoto project

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So some updates.

    About 2 mths ago added some new bars handguards and pegz.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Pegs would have to be the best upgrade out of those. More confidence now standing up.

    Finally getting round to the crf conversion. Bearings for the headstock on the way. Hoping the japanese bearings coming from China r legit. Pricing up a hub as we speak but might just see how the xr fits first. Needs different bearings to start with the axle difference but it will be interesting to see how the brakes system all lines up.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now sit back and enjoy.

    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After hunting around for crf450 talon hub prices and finding it pretty expensive I got some help through the advrider xr650 thread. Someone who has done a conversion used a kit from Evolution motorcycles. So after a couple of Emails got a 2 kits on the way for $150 which is a third of the cost of a new hub let alone spokes and getting the tyre on and off. Pretty stoked. Hopefully all goes together well.

    If your interested Robert is clearing them out for $40 at the moment.

    http://www.evolution-motorcycles.com
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  5. #65
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrsism View Post
    After hunting around for crf450 talon hub prices and finding it pretty expensive I got some help through the advrider xr650 thread. Someone who has done a conversion used a kit from Evolution motorcycles. So after a couple of Emails got a 2 kits on the way for $150 which is a third of the cost of a new hub let alone spokes and getting the tyre on and off. Pretty stoked. Hopefully all goes together well.

    If your interested Robert is clearing them out for $40 at the moment.

    http://www.evolution-motorcycles.com
    What exactly does the kit do? I've always considered the crf front end.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    What exactly does the kit do? I've always considered the crf front end.
    Its some sleeves that go round the xr axle to give it the same dimesions as the crf axle. I think there is a little bit of shimming involved with the caliper or disc. From what was said on adv something like 2mm so not bad at all. Not sure about spacers but I will see when it arrives.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  7. #67
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    mmm link to Aprillia site..then dead end.?

    Edit.. Oops soz jumped the gun..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    mmm link to Aprillia site..then dead end.?

    Edit.. Oops soz jumped the gun..
    Yeah there is nothing specific on the site GSX you have to email the guy. Not sure what other stuff he might do. Its kinda like tales around the campfire but hey its often the way with older kit stuff. You just have to be lucky enough to find someone in the know.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my evolution spacers and nsk conversion bearing (12mm vs 15mm thick, different inner diameter for crf headstock spindle) rocked up a few weeks back.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Chucked it all in and everything went together well. Needed to fashion a spacer for 3mm difference of the bearing and cut some grooves to be able to get it out eventually.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Only problem was there was minimal thread showing out of the upper triple nut. So took the top triple to Success 5 engineering who shaved it down and fabbed up a spacer to replace the speedo drive. Thanks to Leigh.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by xrsism; 09-10-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evolution spacers

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    And only thing to add was two 3mm washers either side of the wheel. Looking good. Axle sticks out a bit so got to be careful there.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Top triple on now. New Neken clamps too even though they are hidden in that photo. Work sweet.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As she is

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Waiting now for a few more bits n pieces to finish things off.

    Crf caliper bracket fits the XR caliper which is good. At least I have it now for a dirt setup.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Big bummer is I cant use my Braking caliper from the XR. So will have to do with the nissin and a 320mm bracket in the meantime while I decide what to upgrade to... if I need to that is.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  12. #72
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrsism View Post
    As she is

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Waiting now for a few more bits n pieces to finish things off.

    Crf caliper bracket fits the XR caliper which is good. At least I have it now for a dirt setup.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Big bummer is I cant use my Braking caliper from the XR. So will have to do with the nissin and a 320mm bracket in the meantime while I decide what to upgrade to... if I need to that is.
    What you need is this.

    http://www.purte1.com/index.php/en/s.../view/1059/410

    Then find a radial 4 pot. Magura, Beringer or FTE.

    Works like a charm.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes xrsism liked this post

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    What you need is this.

    http://www.purte1.com/index.php/en/s.../view/1059/410

    Then find a radial 4 pot. Magura, Beringer or FTE.

    Works like a charm.
    Thanks for the link it looks good Crobbo.

    Will see what the nissin is like with the berringer master and braided line to start with. Might have to get some better pads. The Braking caliper was one finger good. Spewing I will loose it. But yeah thinkin about a berringer to go with the master or maybe motomaster. The other possibility is making a bracket to suit the Braking? Not sure. I might have to wait a little while, I think Ive spent my limit this year for the bike. Might get choked out otherwise I have my cafe racer to finish as well.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  14. #74
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrsism View Post
    Thanks for the link it looks good Crobbo.

    Will see what the nissin is like with the berringer master and braided line to start with. Might have to get some better pads. The Braking caliper was one finger good. Spewing I will loose it. But yeah thinkin about a berringer to go with the master or maybe motomaster. The other possibility is making a bracket to suit the Braking? Not sure. I might have to wait a little while, I think Ive spent my limit this year for the bike. Might get choked out otherwise I have my cafe racer to finish as well.
    I went with that adaptor and a complete Aprillia SXV front brake setup. Works a treat.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes xrsism liked this post

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    I went with that adaptor and a complete Aprillia SXV front brake setup. Works a treat.
    Cool, yeah I scrolled back to check what you had. Looks pretty chunky. Just couldn't make out what it was. Easy to find the caliper?
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  16. #76
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrsism View Post
    Cool, yeah I scrolled back to check what you had. Looks pretty chunky. Just couldn't make out what it was. Easy to find the caliper?
    That a bit rough. But they come up fairly often

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232880556539
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep definitely got me thinking....

    I did go back in to the garage and test the Braking caliper on the disc. Theres about a 4mm gap between the caliper and the forks....hmm maybe just enough to fabricate something out of steel....? I dunno. Going to sit and think about this one for a bit. I have the 320mm caliper bracket on the way so no rush...

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ...
    Motorbike
    ...
    Liked
    5260 times
    Posts
    22,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    That a bit rough. But they come up fairly often

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232880556539
    I still have one sitting in a box...

    Better condition than that and cheaper too...

  19. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    I still have one sitting in a box...

    Better condition than that and cheaper too...
    Pmd
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost there....so close its not funny.

    Put all the bits on that arrived today. Andrew at Dale Brittens cheers bud for helping there. Slapped on the Motomasters 320mm bracket, cable holding plastic bits and zeta rubber killers. Got the handlebars all locked down and then bled the brakes.

    Just have to make some indicator brackets, tighten a few more bolts and place the trail tech meter.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Next photo is the difference in brake calipers. Nissin is only two pistons while the Braking and FTE (thanks Rich) are 4.

    See how the Nissin goez over the next few dayz once its rollin again. So, just waiting on a caliper bracket and a banjo bolt with bleeder for the FTE.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by xrsism; 19-10-2018 at 12:07 AM.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.
    Likes Crobbo liked this post

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •