1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    Yup. Heaps of people make this mistake.

Buy what you need today / for the next couple of years, tops.

I'm under no illusions that this will be the the greatest in 5 years but also don't want something that will be outdated as soon as it's built particularly for gaming use! As long as it does most of the average stuff for quite a few years and plays most avg gaves for a couple of years at a reasonable level then all good The board looks like it should be good for upgrades for a while anyway

Buying something you think you might need 5 years from now is a fool's errand, you'll just spend a shitload of money for something that will be outperformed by a mid-range machine from 2 years in the future anyway.

That said every now and then, an inflection point happens in the market, and right now, we are on the cusp on > 4 threads being the main stream, so i'd say buying an i3 or i5 right now is retarded, especially given the Ryzen options on the table. Clock speeds and single threaded performance just aren't going up very quick any more, so use of more threads is where the software gains are going to come from. And even an R5 just blows the i3/i5 out of the water there.

Yeah I've seen some good reviews on the Ryzen as far as value for $ in multi thread mode so figure for basic games (not full on gaming) it should be OK with the GTX 1050Ti

And for gaming at non-4k resolutions, the 1060 or 470/480/580 is currently the sweet-spot unless you have a lot of money to burn.

If you can spring for 16 GB of RAM, 8 is starting to get tight for current games too.

Yeah I'm going for 2 x 8Gb straight up and the MB will take up to 64Gb, so can add some more later

If you want to do gaming on this thing, and aren't willing to step to the above level of video card i'd suggest just save your money, buy a cheap PC for the PC stuff (don't try and make a gaming PC with a 1050) and buy a PS4 for the games. You'll get better results for less money.

2c.
    As I said before I don't intend it to be a "gaming PC", it's a work PC first and foremost that can play some basic games at the moment at reasonable resolution/rates etc as most of the time my boy uses his X-Box One

Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    You'll need a 64 bit OS to access more than 3.X GB of RAM.
    As I said above somewhere my current PC already has a 64 bit OS so wouldn't go 32 bit again even IF I went W7
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that you'd already made the decision on going windows 10, but just to further the support for that decision.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mFI9spp10

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSam View Post
    I know that you'd already made the decision on going windows 10, but just to further the support for that decision.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mFI9spp10
    Hmmm that makes for interesting reading, I guess I have no choice but W10 Might have to look into this ability to block spyware though

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 10 toggle tweaker says you can remove all the telementary but there is a very good chance m$ would just re enable it all in the future or cause issues to force people to leave telementary alone.

As win10 is built on telementary not seperate, weren't giving out a OS for free for nothing.

What pissed me off even apple has succumb to m$ bootcamp forced everyone to win10, got around bootcamp msg to install win7 but the apple software won't install, work around that and the USB drivers won't install the ones from intel which did work cause BSOD.
    Last edited by Halo_2; 09-05-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    RiDe F@sT.. HaVe F).. PlAy Ld

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could install the enterprise version which has no telementary, edge, ms store.

But it would have to be a pirate copy as m$ don't sell a enterprise license to the general public.
    Last edited by Halo_2; 10-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    RiDe F@sT.. HaVe F).. PlAy Ld

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    You could install the enterprise version which has no telementary, edge, ms store.

But it would have to be a pirate copy as m$ don't sell a enterprise license to the general public.
    Handy that my missus's BiL has a business building and maintaining computers/servers etc then

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after much researching and discussion with the missus' BiL in Adelaide I ended up going for the below spec gear Not the highest specs by any means especially for hard core gaming but then it's not for that anyway but the MB and CPU are able to be upgraded with another/bigger graphics cards and heaps more RAM if needed I ordered it all from PC Case Gear and had it shipped to Adelaide ($1365 all up) and the missus' BiL will put it all together for us He reckons he can ghost all the existing programs etc from the current HDD's and use our existing copy of W7 to load everything up and then upgrade to W10 so hopefully that is a goer as it'll save us some $$$ It should be all assembled by the time the missus heads over to Adelaide in about a month so she can take our existing W7 stuff and a HDD over and then bring it back with her or ship it back, can't wait

Then I can look at the issues with the RAID on the existing computer, get that sorted out, buy a nice new bigger monitor in a month or so and the old one will do as a torrenting PC and for my boy to use for his studies

Corsair Graphite 230T Case without Window Black - $89
    Cooler Master B2 Series RS-600-ACAB-B1 600W Power Supply - $89
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC graphics card features a 1354MHz base clock with a 1468MHz boost clock in OC mode, 4GB 128-bit GDDR5 memory, PCI-E 3.0, 7008MHz memory clock, WINDFORCE 2X cooling, protective backplate, DirectX 12 support, OpenGL 4.5 support, Dual-Link DVI-D, 3x HDMI 2.0b, DisplayPort 1.4 - $229
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM006 x 2 - ($99ea) $198
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6 Core 12 Thread CPU, 3.2GHz Base Clock, 3.6GHz Boost, 65W TDP, 16MB L3 cache using the AM4 Socket. Includes AMD Wraith Spire cooler - $299
    Gigabyte AB350M-D3H Motherboard, AMD Ryzen AM4 Socket, B350 Chipset, 4x 3200MHz DDR4 memory (OC), PCI-E 3.0, 6x SATA3, 1x M.2 Socket 3, 2x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A, 4x USB 3.1 Gen1, Realtek Gigabit LAN, HDMI, DVI-D, D-Sub, DisplayPort, Realtek ALC887, GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS, Smart Fan 5, Micro ATX form factor. Backed by a 3 year Gigabyte warranty. - $139
    Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2A2666C16 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4, 2666MHz with white LED, 16-18-18-35, 1.2v, XMP 2.0 - $199
    SilverStone FP59B Bay Multi Reader and Controller - $59
    ASUS DRW-24D5MT 24x DVD Writer - $19

Likes FJ Steve liked this post