Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P045WTK New Desktop PC

OK so recently started having some issues with our existing PC which was built by the missus's BiL in Adelaide back in 2010, had a chat on the phone with him a few weeks back thinking we might be able to sort it easily but it appears not over the phone/remotely so he suggested looking at building a new PC

He gave me a few rough ideas to look at and do some research on before getting back to him and figured I'd get some advice on here given there are quite a few computer nerds on here

Anyway I'm not a real gamer but my son does do a bit although at the moment mostly on the X-Box but figure it would be good to up spec it a bit for that as well as "future proof" it a bit Mainly my use is general computing, web surfing, documents and storage of downloaded movies, pics etc (They get DL'ed on my old laptop). My partners use is much the same but also bookwork with MYOB and word processing etc and a bit of CD/DVD burning

Current computer specs are below and has been doing OK so far:
    ATHLON II Processor X2 250 3000MHz/65W/AM3
    MSI Mainboard DKA790GX AM2-Platinum PCIE2
    * PCIE Express Video slot +
    * Integrated Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID 0 & 1 or 0+1
    * DDR2 Memory 8 Gigabytes
    * x3 PCI slots
    Medium Tower ATX Case - 450W PSU
    Internal Card Reader 12-IN-1 3.5"
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
    2 x Seagate 2TB, SATA2, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD's (In RAID)
    ASUS DVD Burner 16x Dual Layer DVD +- R/RW
    W7 PRO 32bit
    MS Office Std 2010

So after all my research what I've been looking at is:

Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case,

Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply,

Gigabyte AB350M-D3H Motherboard,

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 4 Core 8 Thread CPU, 3.5GHz Base Clock, 3.7GHz Boost, 65W TDP, 16MB L3 cache using the AM4 Socket. Includes AMD Wraith Spire cooler,

Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2A2666C16R 16GB (2x8G DDR4, 2666MHz with red LED, 16-18-18-35, 1.2v, XMP 2.0,

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Low Profile graphics card features a 1392MHz base clock with a 1506Hz boost clock in OC mode, 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 memory, PCI-E 3.0, 7008MHz memory clock, low profile design with 167mm card length, OpenGL 4.5 support, DirectX 12 support, Dual-Link DVI-D, 2x HDMI 2.0b, DisplayPort 1.4 (GV-N1050OC-2GL?)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo CPU Cooler Red Cover RR-212TR-16PR-R1 OR
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060007-WW,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM006 x 2,

SilverStone FP59B Bay Multi Reader and Controller,

ASUS DRW-24D5MT 24x DVD Writer,

Startech Latching SATA 45cm Cable LSATA18 x 3,

That works out to be ~$1332 (Air Cooled) or $1362 (Water Cooled).

Also been tossing up the benefits of adding:
    2 x Seagate FireCuda 2TB Desktop SSHD ST2000DX002 instead of the normal HDD's and a Intel 600P Series 128GB M.2 SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1) for boot duties/quicker pickup etc and a Corsair Force Series MP500 120GB NVMe M.2 SSD (CSSD-F120GBMP500) for the gaming stuff

Thoughts good or bad, any changes? Does it seem OK for what I'm looking to use it for or overkill/under spec?
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look here for good ideas or just buy directly from them if it's easier...
    https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/De...ers/Gaming-PCs

At that price range it would be a terrible idea not to get an SSD at least for the boot drive. Also the overclocking versions of the graphics cards seem good on paper but they are poor value for money and not always the most reliable.

Sent from my SM-A700K using Tapatalk

Liked
    416 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all things Computer/internet related the Whirlpool site can be helpful.
    heaps of computer geeks on there to give advice.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...ch&f=7&q=ryzen

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSam View Post
    Look here for good ideas or just buy directly from them if it's easier...
    https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/De...ers/Gaming-PCs

At that price range it would be a terrible idea not to get an SSD at least for the boot drive. Also the overclocking versions of the graphics cards seem good on paper but they are poor value for money and not always the most reliable.

Yeah I did have a quick look at PLE although mainly regarding parts Some nice prebuilt units there which were obviously aimed at gamers

Once I started adding extra bits like optical drive/card reader/extra RAM/CPU cooler and a storage HDD to even the base model though and it works out close to what I've already priced up although it does have a couple of extras I don't really need like Wi-Fi adapter, 1yr anti virus, mouse mat, power board etc but does come out a couple of hundred cheaper as it comes with W10 Home, saying that though I'd prefer to go for W10 Pro rather than home or even W7 Pro for that matter as I have that on the existing PC

I like the idea of the included Bitlocker and Remote desktop has come in handy trying to sort stuff on the existing PC with help from the missus's BiL in Adelaide and not being able to delay updates is one thing that annoys me on my newish laptop as I'll be doing something and it'll lag or freeze and then I'll find there are updates being downloaded and causing the issues

What sort of issues do the OC cards have? I don't really know much about overclocking and certainly don't need it, I just looked at that card as it seemed to have slightly higher specs than other similar priced cards

Quote Originally Posted by Blazon View Post
    For all things Computer/internet related the Whirlpool site can be helpful.
    heaps of computer geeks on there to give advice.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...ch&f=7&q=ryzen

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs
    Yeah that was going to be my next port of call, just figured I'd throw it out here as I got some good advice prior to getting the current PC built back in 2010

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Motorbike
    CFMOTO 650nk
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Yeah I did have a quick look at PLE although mainly regarding parts Some nice prebuilt units there which were obviously aimed at gamers
    Have you checked out PCCASEGEAR Online ? Based over east, When i was looking for a PC their builds were decent and almost 0 mark up aswell.

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you specifically need a DVD drive for something? I'd leave it out or swap some of those components across from your old computer.
    Remember all of those prebuilts include an SSD for the boot drive so that's an added extra of around $150.

Ple has no markup and only charges a $99 build and test fee as far as I'm aware

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackintyre View Post
    Have you checked out PCCASEGEAR Online ? Based over east, When i was looking for a PC their builds were decent and almost 0 mark up aswell.
    Yeah that was where the missus's BiL put me onto initially and is where I got my specs/model #'s and prices from I also checked MSY/MWave & PLE to compare prices and availability and obviously all have various bit and pieces that are the same and some different to each other Was actually surprised that PLE was cheaper on some stuff than the eastern states mobs

Just have to see whether shipping on all the parts from over east outweighs getting it from PLE, when I got an upgraded video card for the current PC a year or so back I had to get it from PCCG as PLE didn't stock one that old and had to get some DDR2 ram from an eBay seller as no shop stocked it in Oz or wanted a fortune for it

Do you specifically need a DVD drive for something? I'd leave it out or swap some of those components across from your old computer.
    Remember all of those prebuilts include an SSD for the boot drive so that's an added extra of around $150.

Ple has no markup and only charges a $99 build and test fee as far as I'm aware
    Yeah I still want the DVD burner as my missus does like to do backups of work stuff or copy music to a CD as her car doesn't have bluetooth or MP3 compatibility but does have a CD player and also has a in roof DVD player so we do backups of DVD's for our kid to watch on long trips Besides they're only $19 so fuckall in the scheme of things so not really worth pissing about swapping over Plus I'd prefer to spend a little more and make sure I have all new stuff that will last a while without failing and future proof me to a degree

Yeah I did notice they only have an SSD for the OS but they have no storage drive so if I added 2 HDD's like in my current PC to run the RAID and store all the photo's movies etc that my missus has for her geneology that would bump the price of the basic spec unit quite a bit over what I've priced up already

I do like PLE and have bought a few bits from them over the years as I've needed to replace HD's, upgrade the video card etc on the old PC so don't have a problem going through them, just trying to make sure I have a decent spec unit at the best price

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to be future proof, then definitely invest in an ssd

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is my office.
    Motorbike
    Nothing as yet, soon as I get a license and bike I will let you know
    Liked
    299 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after all my research what I've been looking at is:

Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case,

Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply,

Gigabyte AB350M-D3H Motherboard,

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 4 Core 8 Thread CPU, 3.5GHz Base Clock, 3.7GHz Boost, 65W TDP, 16MB L3 cache using the AM4 Socket. Includes AMD Wraith Spire cooler,

Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2A2666C16R 16GB (2x8G DDR4, 2666MHz with red LED, 16-18-18-35, 1.2v, XMP 2.0,

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Low Profile graphics card features a 1392MHz base clock with a 1506Hz boost clock in OC mode, 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 memory, PCI-E 3.0, 7008MHz memory clock, low profile design with 167mm card length, OpenGL 4.5 support, DirectX 12 support, Dual-Link DVI-D, 2x HDMI 2.0b, DisplayPort 1.4 (GV-N1050OC-2GL?)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo CPU Cooler Red Cover RR-212TR-16PR-R1 OR
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060007-WW,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM006 x 2,

SilverStone FP59B Bay Multi Reader and Controller,

ASUS DRW-24D5MT 24x DVD Writer,

Startech Latching SATA 45cm Cable LSATA18 x 3,

That works out to be ~$1332 (Air Cooled) or $1362 (Water Cooled).

Also been tossing up the benefits of adding:
    2 x Seagate FireCuda 2TB Desktop SSHD ST2000DX002 instead of the normal HDD's and a Intel 600P Series 128GB M.2 SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1) for boot duties/quicker pickup etc and a Corsair Force Series MP500 120GB NVMe M.2 SSD (CSSD-F120GBMP500) for the gaming stuff

Thoughts good or bad, any changes? Does it seem OK for what I'm looking to use it for or overkill/under spec?
    Case wise I reckon you're pretty good, corsair design their case to have a good air flow, which is very important, whether your building a gaming rig or a basic PC for your nanna look up pictures of kettins and recipes for sponge cakes.

Power supply wise I suggest you up the specs for this. You've already picked a Gold rated supply, go up at to at least 750W, the reason for this is that the amount of equipment you have in the case will all be generating some heat, by having a 550W supply, while it will be able to provide enough juice to run it all, it will have to work hard to step down the voltage from 240V AC to 12/5/etcV DC, this generates even more heat, the power supply will have its own fan it will be drawing some of the cooling air from inside of the case, making it run hotter and work even harder.

CPU wise I don't know much about AMD gear, TBH I have ignored them after a fucking debacle with a gaming rig I built 10 years ago, I swore I would never go back to them, maybe someone who knows about them could advise you.

Same again mobo wise, but I have been using Gigabyte gear for over 10 years and they have a reliability that has blown me away, my current gaming build is almost 4 years old, its had three complete reinstalls (which I do about every 12 months) and it does not miss a beat.

RAM I am running basically the same as you will be, again reliability is awesome on these sticks.

GPU up it to a GTX1070, they are not that much more expensive and will add a little more future proofing for you box.

Bugger the CPU and Liquid cooling system off completely, unless you plan to be doing some overclocking of the cpu, I cant see your CPU/GPU temps going much over 50-degC, my gaming box under full load (high settings on games) barely breaks 50 or so.

Hard drives I'd keep as is, personally I prefer WD Caviar Blacks for storage, using their drives for years and their reliability is awesome, also keep the OS SSD. As for a SSD for gaming, I don't really think it is worth it, most modern games really don't take that long to load in SP, MP though the loading time is mainly dictated by the location of the server.

Keep the Reader and burner (might as well make it two of them) they're bloody cheap.

I like the idea of setting a RAID system up, in practice though I just don't like them, they're a pain in the arse if something goes wrong.

The only other thing I would recommend is have a backup OS drive that you ghost off your main drive, the reason for this is that of for arguments sake your main OS drive shits itself all you have to do is plug in the backup and you're up and running again.
    DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.
    Likes GTSam liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Venkman View Post
    CPU wise I don't know much about AMD gear, TBH I have ignored them after a fucking debacle with a gaming rig I built 10 years ago, I swore I would never go back to them, maybe someone who knows about them could advise you.

Same again mobo wise, but I have been using Gigabyte gear for over 10 years and they have a reliability that has blown me away, my current gaming build is almost 4 years old, its had three complete reinstalls (which I do about every 12 months) and it does not miss a beat.

Bugger the CPU and Liquid cooling system off completely, unless you plan to be doing some overclocking of the cpu, I cant see your CPU/GPU temps going much over 50-degC, my gaming box under full load (high settings on games) barely breaks 50 or so.
    I agree with CPU, don't touch the AMD stuff since 2005 when I built a server and had nothing but trouble for the 6 months that I had it.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...00X/3648vs3921

Is a good comparison, for basically the same price, you get less on the intel chips but actually better real world performance.

Mobos are a funny one, I always go for the cheapest one that fits my needs and there isn't much difference between brands really. A $60 board is no worse than a $250 board if it has everything you need.

Liquid cooling is a waste of time unless you're chasing big power out of your equipment but you'll just end up with reliability issues and frequent failures.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Case wise I reckon you're pretty good, corsair design their case to have a good air flow, which is very important, whether your building a gaming rig or a basic PC for your nanna look up pictures of kettins and recipes for sponge cakes.

Ha ha surprisingly when looking at different stuff the case seemed like the hardest part to decide on Not having looked at building a computer before I was really just looking at reviews along with needing it to fit into the area that the existing PC is in, a full size case was way to tall Also because of the position and from what I had read regarding gaming stuff you need good ventilation

Power supply wise I suggest you up the specs for this. You've already picked a Gold rated supply, go up at to at least 750W, the reason for this is that the amount of equipment you have in the case will all be generating some heat, by having a 550W supply, while it will be able to provide enough juice to run it all, it will have to work hard to step down the voltage from 240V AC to 12/5/etcV DC, this generates even more heat, the power supply will have its own fan it will be drawing some of the cooling air from inside of the case, making it run hotter and work even harder.

OK, after looking at the other stuff I was wondering what PSU to use and used this > Cooler Master PS calculator and even by adding everything on my list and then including an SSD, 2 HHD's, liquid cooler and an M2 SSD and running 24/7 it still only came to only ~420w so figured I was well in the range needed

Hmmm interesting as the last couple of PC's that the missus BiL have built for use have had MSI/AMD stuff in them and he always rated them although he wasn't a gamer he was more into commercial stuff/servers etc

When we 1st started talking about building a new PC he sent a PCCG link and recommended AMD and the Gigabyte in particular as good MB's so that is why I looked at them

RAM I am running basically the same as you will be, again reliability is awesome on these sticks.

GPU up it to a GTX1070, they are not that much more expensive and will add a little more future proofing for you box.

Wow I'd hate to see what you reckon is a lot more expensive? Just had a look and the cheapest GTX1070 appears to be ~$550 compared to $179 for the 1050
    Are they THAT much better given what I'm looking to do? The existing PC only just got upgraded with a GT730 and 4GB extra RAM from the previous on-board graphics/4GB RAM and that seems to run the games my boy is using OK (Alien Isolation, Dota2, StarCraft, Heroes of the Storm)

OK I just figured from my bit of reading that a CPU cooler is required If I can not bother that saves some $ and I noticed the Ryzen has a cooler with it anyway

Hard drives I'd keep as is, personally I prefer WD Caviar Blacks for storage, using their drives for years and their reliability is awesome, also keep the OS SSD. As for a SSD for gaming, I don't really think it is worth it, most modern games really don't take that long to load in SP, MP though the loading time is mainly dictated by the location of the server.

So you reckon just stick with a std HDD for storage but have an SSD for the OS but forget about the M.2? The WD blacks are about 75% more expensive, again are they that much better?

Keep the Reader and burner (might as well make it two of them) they're bloody cheap.

I like the idea of setting a RAID system up, in practice though I just don't like them, they're a pain in the arse if something goes wrong.

Yeah I had issues early on with it going out of synch and had to replace a couple of HDD's over the years but have got used to rebuilding the RAID array and replacing the HD, still it's been handy not losing data etc

The only other thing I would recommend is have a backup OS drive that you ghost off your main drive, the reason for this is that of for arguments sake your main OS drive shits itself all you have to do is plug in the backup and you're up and running again.
    Not sure what you mean by ghost the drive? Do you mean a backup copy?

I agree with CPU, don't touch the AMD stuff since 2005 when I built a server and had nothing but trouble for the 6 months that I had it.

Yeah I did some reading and they apparently were quite good till ~04/5 but then had a bit of a bad run for a few years but seem to be getting their Mojo back

Liquid cooling is a waste of time unless you're chasing big power out of your equipment but you'll just end up with reliability issues and frequent failures.
    Yeah as above every time I looked at PC builds with larger graphics cards they seemed to have LC so figured it was somehow required, as I said I'm no PC expert or gamer

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you mean by ghost the drive? Do you mean a backup copy?
    When you ghost a drive its a low level bit by bit copy of the whole drive essentially exact copy
    "One day I'll fly away"

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    When you ghost a drive its a low level bit by bit copy of the whole drive essentially exact copy
    So much like a system image that gets done when you do a backup the 1st time or the recovery disc you(r supposed to) do when you 1st get a computer?
    This is done on a separate SSD and kept as a backup drive similar to the RAID 1 setup I've got on the HDD's except the SSD is not in the machine is that correct?

Also just realised after a re-read of specs that the Ryzen CPU already comes with a (Wraith Spire) cooler so I can definitely forget a CPU cooler if I went that route and save $60-$90

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is my office.
    Motorbike
    Nothing as yet, soon as I get a license and bike I will let you know
    Liked
    299 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much like a system image that gets done when you do a backup the 1st time or the recovery disc you(r supposed to) do when you 1st get a computer?
    This is done on a separate SSD and kept as a backup drive similar to the RAID 1 setup I've got on the HDD's except the SSD is not in the machine is that correct?

Also just realised after a re-read of specs that the Ryzen CPU already comes with a (Wraith Spire) cooler so I can definitely forget a CPU cooler if I went that route and save $60-$90
    I keep the backup OS drive in my machine, just not plugged in, that way it's a matter of plugging the "fresh" one in and away you go. Most modern cases have shed loads of room so it shouldn't be an issue.

CPU cooler wise, the stock ones are actually pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better then a backup as not just your files are copied but everything from past deleted files marked hidden and deleted ready to be overwritten, everything 1:1 bit by bit copy of the hard drive.

I much prefer starting fresh new OS with updates installed then copy all your files back or kept seperate.
    "One day I'll fly away"
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, after looking at the other stuff I was wondering what PSU to use and used this > Cooler Master PS calculator and even by adding everything on my list and then including an SSD, 2 HHD's, liquid cooler and an M2 SSD and running 24/7 it still only came to only ~420w so figured I was well in the range needed
    Regarding the PSU, you say I should up that to 750W, does it matter then if it's not GOLD rated then? Like this one Corsair CX-750 V3 Power Supply? It looks like I lose 5% efficiency @ 50% load and it's not "modular" but that is just the type of cabling isn't it?

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As previously suggested, don't bother with AMD anymore.

For the motherboard, I avoid the real cheapies, reliability is a problem with them. Mobo's are good around the $120 mark such as;
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6266...TX-Motherboard

I prefer ASUS or Gigabyte. I've had problems with ASROCK in the past. Just not worth it to save a few bucks.
    MSI boards I hear are good, and I've had no problems with their video cards, but I have little experience with MSI mobo's.

CPU, The intel Kabylake i7100 will be plenty for what your planning to do with it.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6268...3MB-Retail-Box

If you want a bit more grunt/future proof, go up to the i5
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6265...6MB-Retail-Box

I'd definitely suggest going the SSD for the boot drive.
    You can't beat the Samsung 850 series SSD's. Very reliable.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6172...-7mm-250GB-SSD

If you need a dinosaur spinner, brand and size can mean a big difference with reliability. If you ask the geeks on whirlpool about HD reliability, they will/should point you to;
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q1-2016/

PSU, Corsair is a good brand to go buy. Modular means that you can plug/unplug the cable groups so you just plug in the groups you need, less clutter than a non modular supply.
    If you want to spring for a really good power supply, then go up to the RM series.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6214...r-Power-Supply

750 watts is for systems where the video card is bigger than the motherboard. 500 watts for systems where the video card is smaller than the motherboard. :-) Having the extra power can't hurt and can actually mean you use less power, but my experience with PSU's is to go for quality first over more power.
    Number one reason I end up building a new PC for a customer is PSU failure. Sometimes they are lucky and I can just replace the el cheapo PSU, usually though it damages the motherboard and that means a new system.

I'd pick the CM550 over the CX750 any day. Personally I use the AX series, and usually fit HX or RM series to customers for gaming rigs depending on budget. I never go below CM series quality equivilant.

If you want to go with a better CPU cooler, this one is a good upgrade on stock and better made and will last longer than the Hyper 212. I usually buy CPU's without the retail box/cooling fan and add this fan instead.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6202...151-CPU-Cooler

Number two reason for building a new customer a PC is CPU cooling fan failure.
    Video card cooling fans fail as well, but that just means a new video card.
    Last edited by Cone Cat; 24-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comp is a year old so maybe a bit old tech for you.

After researching parts I came up with power supply : coolmaster V850, main board : Asus Z170M, fan : coolmaster hyper 612 (the fan never goes on!), i5-6600K, 16GB ram. My HD is a hybrid so the OS is on the solid state and important stuff on a normal HD.

Its important to get a decent power supply. a 550W may not actually give you 550W and graphic cards draw a sh$te load of power these days. In fact, its what killed my last computer. The power supply blew as a newly installed graphics card killed it!

MSY are pretty good price wise so have a look at their prices. Austin aren't bad but MSY is generally a few dollars cheaper.

Motorbike
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Cat View Post
    I prefer ASUS or Gigabyte.
    I would go Asus, have had problems with gigabyte that others have too.
    "One day I'll fly away"

Motorbike
    Honda CBR500r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going overboard with PSU will be good for future proofing, get a full modular one which makes cable management easier to do. A good quality PSU would be likely to out live all the rest of the hardware in the PC. In the last 8-9 years I've had two PSUs, and only got the 2nd one as my current PC has the first completely new everything system for myself.
    Think I have either a 750watt or 850watt powering 6 data storage drives, and 2x Nvidia GTX 980s.

+1 for MSY, good on prices.
    2013 Honda CBR500r
    1996 Nissan Stagea
    1979 Ford Escort