User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126

Thread: Just how bigger difference do epic tyres make on the street?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Brookdale
    Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man thats exactly what I wanted to know. As i said both other bikes i bought legit had the tread washed away and a slick and laminating. Having no markers on them I didnt know just how close to dead they were i thought they were 70% worn not 90 so that definitely ups the priority . Ill ring round tomorrow and see the fitting prices / local supply and fit prices.

    I was trying to figure out whether to buy whatever i can afford RIGHT now or if it was fine to keep riding it until I could afford the prefered set but hurys in. Shes fucked.

    I have no clue how old what one was and if replaced as a pair ive done 500ks on the bike and only bought it a week and a half ago so have no real idea about the previous owners riding or the maintenance.

  2. #22
    Member Gippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Exotic Italian Muscle
    Liked
    438 times
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    I'm struggling to think of something you could spend money on that would have a bigger impact on the bikes performance and control
    ^^^ A million times this.

    If I can afford it SC1s will be my bikes staple tyre.

    But whilst traction and control gains are off the charts, there is no such thing as a free lunch. I.e. they cost $600 and last 3000kms / 24months tops.
    Its all good on Ducati's

  3. #23
    Member thro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wellard
    Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Posts
    32,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrop.senator View Post
    Thanks man thats exactly what I wanted to know. As i said both other bikes i bought legit had the tread washed away and a slick and laminating. Having no markers on them I didnt know just how close to dead they were i thought they were 70% worn not 90 so that definitely ups the priority . Ill ring round tomorrow and see the fitting prices / local supply and fit prices.

    I was trying to figure out whether to buy whatever i can afford RIGHT now or if it was fine to keep riding it until I could afford the prefered set but hurys in. Shes fucked.

    I have no clue how old what one was and if replaced as a pair ive done 500ks on the bike and only bought it a week and a half ago so have no real idea about the previous owners riding or the maintenance.

    If you can get a cheap deal on say, Pilot Power (any variety - the Power 3s are of the "last 30% longer" generation), Pilot Road (any variety), BT016s, S20s or similar, go for it. As above the biggest thing with the new ones (vs. older model of the same "tier" of sportiness) is improved mileage, but if you need new tyres now, you're better off getting them now (and scrubbing them in) before it starts raining than trying to save more for the later model tyre (imho anyway, your budget priorities are your own).

    In terms of $ vs. Mileage though, you're not going to get "ripped off" really either way... you'll just need to replace the older model tyres sooner for the most part (but the up front cost saving will make up for it somewhat).


    edit:
    My tyre ownership is many, many sets of Pilot Powers (Power Race, 2CT x about 10 sets, Pure, 3), BT015s, S20s and RS10s and a set of Pirelli DRCs that I hated.... i've run a lot of the cheaper/older tyres you're perhaps considering and didn't have any real problems with any of them
    Last edited by thro; 25-04-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

  4. #24
    Member BillyBoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Harrisdale
    Liked
    5 times
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bridgestone RS10 front and S21 rear for both of my bikes.
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

  5. #25
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo View Post

    If I can afford it SC1s will be my bikes staple tyre.

    But whilst traction and control gains are off the charts, there is no such thing as a free lunch. I.e. they cost $600 and last 3000kms / 24months tops.
    So you'd get a tyre that's mono-compound and will wear quickly in the middle, has poor water channeling so has shit grip in the wet, is recommended to use with tyre warmers because it needs to be hot before it gets any grip and cold tears really badly, and doesn't cope very well with varying surfaces such as sand on the road, grass, gravel, etc ?

    Righto skip..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    As above the biggest thing with the new ones (vs. older model of the same "tier" of sportiness) is improved mileage, but if you need new tyres now, you're better off getting them now (and scrubbing them in) before it starts raining than trying to save more for the later model tyre (imho anyway, your budget priorities are your own).
    You're wrong about that in regards to the S20/S21. The profile is completely different, and the compounds vary a lot more in the S21. The S21 is a new and improved version, and funnily enough, it's newer and has more improvements than the outgoing model. I know you blocked and deleted me after you had a hissy fit on Facebook last time I doubted and corrected you about tyres, but if you did a bit of research you'd come to the same conclusion.

    http://www.bridgestone.com/products/.../detail/pr138/ for anyone interested. Direct comparison between the S20 and S21 on the Bridgestone website
    Rest in Peace

    #294

  6. #26
    Member thro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wellard
    Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Posts
    32,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    You're wrong about that in regards to the S20/S21. The profile is completely different, and the compounds vary a lot more in the S21. The S21 is a new and improved version, and funnily enough, it's newer and has more improvements than the outgoing model. I know you blocked and deleted me after you had a hissy fit on Facebook last time I doubted and corrected you about tyres, but if you did a bit of research you'd come to the same conclusion.

    I never made any S20/S21 comparison and stated up front that i have not run the S21.

    Perhaps if you weren't such an obnoxious prick, you'd have more friends. That's why i blocked/unfriended you.

    Stop trying so hard Ryan, there's a decent bloke in there somewhere struggling for air.

    And for what it's worth, you're wrong about the RS10s.

    I'd run them on track (after scrubbing in on the street) before long term street use (i.e., i had ACTUAL experience with the tyres, not secondhand experience through someone you've seen ride with them), and they're great on the street.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa
    Likes Para045, B0RDEX liked this post

  7. #27
    Member DQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jindalee
    Motorbike
    FS570 El Bergo, CB1R El Bango
    Liked
    820 times
    Posts
    3,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol! Thought he deleted and blocked you coz you're an arsehole😅
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad
    Likes thro, Ryanoceros, Para045 liked this post

  8. #28
    Member Gippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Exotic Italian Muscle
    Liked
    438 times
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryanoceros

    Horses for corses.

    You can take the Donkeys if you want bro.
    Its all good on Ducati's

  9. #29
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    I never made any S20/S21 comparison and stated up front that i have not run the S21.
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    As above the biggest thing with the new ones (vs. older model of the same "tier" of sportiness) is improved mileage, but if you need new tyres now, you're better off getting them now (and scrubbing them in) before it starts raining than trying to save more for the later model tyre
    Correct, but you did say "the biggest thing is improved mileage"... which is one of the numerous changes on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post

    Perhaps if you weren't such an obnoxious prick, you'd have more friends. That's why i blocked/unfriended you.

    Stop trying so hard Ryan, there's a decent bloke in there somewhere struggling for air.

    And for what it's worth, you're wrong about the RS10s.

    I'd run them on track before street use, and they're great on the street.
    I'm just gonna let the personal stuff sit like the turd it is jethro. I never said the RS10s are bad tyres, but if OP is struggling to justify spending $500 on tyres, I don't think a faster wearing/more sporty tyre is as suitable. The guys I ride with on superbikes (as I don't own one) say they get poor mileage out of the RS10. Maybe you're a tyre whisperer ? To the average joe, I think it's logical to assume the RS10 will wear faster and give no real world benefit..
    Rest in Peace

    #294

  10. #30
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo View Post
    Ryanoceros

    Horses for corses.

    You can take the Donkeys if you want bro.
    I used to run SC1s, and I had some gnarly fishtails in the wet on them. They heat cycle like anything, and they are not suitable for regular road use. Like GM stated above, there's no point running a tyre that needs stable temperatures and doesn't handle the conditions on the road if that's the only place you're going to be riding. The chicken strip part in particular applies to you Gippo

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    The more 'Race' the tyre is the more ineffective it will be as a 'Road' tyre for Road use.
    A 'Race' tyre likes to be warm all over to be effective. Generally to achieve that you have to lower the pressure to maintain a more constant all over temperature.
    The down side of that is the tyre will flatten out in the middle for a general road riding.
    There is nothing worse than having a 'sticky' tyre through one 'burb', leave that 'burb', travel down a main artery for a k or so, duck into another 'burb' and have to ease into the first couple of corners because your sticky as become slidey in a couple of minutes.
    In the days when we had a Scarb Bike Bays it was an education to look at the rear tyres on bikes.
    The Super go fast tyres generally have wider chicken strips on them than the width of my front tyre.
    Rest in Peace

    #294

  11. #31
    Member Gippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Exotic Italian Muscle
    Liked
    438 times
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol.

    Fair enough.

    Settle down son.... 😎😎😎
    Its all good on Ducati's
    Likes thro liked this post

  12. #32
    Member thro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wellard
    Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Posts
    32,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    The guys I ride with on superbikes (as I don't own one) say they get poor mileage out of the RS10. Maybe you're a tyre whisperer ? To the average joe, I think it's logical to assume the RS10 will wear faster and give no real world benefit..

    And i never suggested he buy RS10s either.
    Yes, the RS10 gets poor mileage vs. the S20 or Power 3. I asked how bad it was relative to other tyres, and your first comment was to crap on about how GreenMeanie gets by with S21 on the street and how no one could ever need anything more. The same guy i chatted with a few days ago at the pub about how and why i'm getting WAY better mileage than he did out of them (top tip: no stinger VIP). The RS10 is a street tyre, not a track only tyre. That's the R10.

    I am happy with the trade-off. Yes, its probably pointless for street use on a 600 as they don't have the torque. Do you really want to go through this again in this guy's thread?

    I know you've been riding for a year or two now mate and tried maybe 2 different tyres on your bike, but trying to correct me on my opinion on stuff based on actual experience with said stuff is just not going to happen.

    You can "think it's logical" that the RS10 will give no real world benefit. I've actually used them.
    Last edited by thro; 25-04-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa
    Likes Hazelnutty, Para045 liked this post

  13. #33
    Member SomeBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Posts
    1,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running a race compound tyre on the road is silly, If race tyres were so good, why would the manufacturer spend so much money and time developing the SP series of tyres...
    IMO the SP is the best pirelli tyre for sports bikes on the road. For more mileage probably the angel series (but then again, I like the Michelin for my road bike...)

  14. #34
    Member thro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wellard
    Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Posts
    32,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    Running a race compound tyre on the road is silly, If race tyres were so good, why would the manufacturer spend so much money and time developing the SP series of tyres...
    IMO the SP is the best pirelli tyre for sports bikes on the road. For more mileage probably the angel series (but then again, I like the Michelin for my road bike...)
    And this is the crux of it:

    The "racier" tyres are not "better".

    They are more suited to a particular usage scenario. Know your usage scenario, be honest about what trade-offs you're prepared to make and what conditions you ride in and choose appropriately.

    Sunshine only? Can get away with something at the sportier end.
    All weather? Better off with something less track-day biased.
    Give a shit about mileage? You get 90% of the road performance from something at the lower tier of "sports" tyres for 1.5-3x the tyre life. Even the sports-touring tyres these days like Pilot Roads are pretty good.

    Going for a full race tyre for street use, you're making a lot of compromises and unless you're prepared to be more careful with them for the 95% of time they're not up to temperature whilst commuting from wherever to the twisty bits, you're likely better off with the sportiest "street" tyre than a race tyre.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

  15. #35
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    And i never suggested he buy RS10s either.
    Yes, the RS10 gets poor mileage vs. the S20 or Power 3. I asked how bad it was relative to other tyres, and your first comment was to crap on about how GreenMeanie gets by with S21 on the street and how no one could ever need anything more. The same guy i chatted with a few days ago at the pub about how and why i'm getting WAY better mileage than he did out of them (top tip: no stinger VIP).

    I am happy with the trade-off. Yes, its probably pointless for street use on a 600 as they don't have the torque. Do you really want to go through this again in this guy's thread?

    I know you've been riding for a year or two now mate and tried maybe 2 different tyres on your bike, but trying to correct me on my opinion on stuff based on actual experience with said stuff is just not going to happen.
    Like I said dude, maybe you're a tyre whisperer.. chill out. It's cool that you love RS10s, but if OP is going to get half the mileage out of a set of tyres that cost the same as a more 'road going' compound, why recommend them for him ?

    I'm sure op would get tyred of reading the back-and-forth between us, so I'm gonna get a grip and tread carefully for a while. I hope I haven't rubbered you up the wrong way, and I hope we can build a Bridgestone over our differences, it would be wheely nice



    edit: out of interest to what I'm comparing my own experience with S21s to, and even though I've only been riding for 3 weeks and have only changed tyres twice, I have used most of the michelin Pilot Road series, Pirelli SC1s and SC2s, and both the S20 and S21 (obliviously).
    Rest in Peace

    #294

  16. #36
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    16,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bridgestones...

    Great if you hate your bike and want to replace it soon anyway by getting rid of it in the most spectacular fashion. Well this is true for OEM Bridgestones, And Dunlops and pretty much any tyre that they roll off the floor with originally.

    I used ride with a guy that ran Michelin Macadams on a Z750... on the road I think I could name only 2-3 people that could actually keep up with this guy, ever.

    When quizzing him about why he never went for anything softer/sticker, his response was that... "It's the road, you're nowhere near the limit, all you're doing is spending more for tyres that last you less that don't make you faster, as you still haven't improved the most useless component in the package... the rider."
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes marras, Harrop.senator liked this post

  17. #37
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    I used ride with a guy that ran Michelin Macadams on a Z750... on the road I think I could name only 2-3 people that could actually keep up with this guy, ever.

    When quizzing him about why he never went for anything softer/sticker, his response was that... "It's the road, you're nowhere near the limit, all you're doing is spending more for tyres that last you less that don't make you faster, as you still haven't improved the most useless component in the package... the rider."
    Sounds like GreenMeanie 's long-lost cousin
    Rest in Peace

    #294

  18. #38
    Member thro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wellard
    Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Posts
    32,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    It's cool that you love RS10s, but if OP is going to get half the mileage out of a set of tyres that cost the same as a more 'road going' compound, why recommend them for him ?





    edit:
    So when was the last time you rode a Bridgestone street tyre Rob?
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa
    Dislikes Ryanoceros disliked this post

  19. #39
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SC1s on the road. You're fucking dreaming.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Stoneville of course
    Motorbike
    Sadly only 1 Gixxer now :(
    Liked
    1579 times
    Posts
    26,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harrop.senator View Post
    Agh rogie! A lot of shops I'd spoken to told me that mixing tyres on a bike was a big no no as they wont sit at the same temperatures and react differently. I was told to always use matching tyres.

    I had the pilot road on my hyosung and was greatly impressed by them. I might see what the price is locally havent seen any good prices online for those.

    The road sports are $340 delivered which is pretty damn reasonable. I'm hoping i can fit and balance myself but if the car balancer won't work on the bike wheel balancing at a shop shouldn't be to pricey.
    S21's nearly all round on our bikes, still have 1 commuter with PR3's though.

    Change the tyres yourself and just thow some ceramic balance beads in an piss the lead weights off

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •