User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just how bigger difference do epic tyres make on the street?

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    SC1s on the road. You're fucking dreaming.
    That's what's on the ZX10RR Endurance Rep... fine in the wet too.

Oh and they've been on there for about 3 years... and have been heat cycled more than is healthy for them... and the rear is unevenly worn as it was used for pillion sessions at Wanneroo... and I've run them over pressure and under pressure.

And still fine for the road...

You know why???

Because it's the fucking road, and no cunt is close enough to the limit to explore the true potential between them, certainly no cunt on here, myself included.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes marras, thro, Harrop.senator, Gippo, Water pig liked this post

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    SC1s on the road. You're fucking dreaming.
    From what i know about Gippo's riding frequency and bike selection, they're probably fine.

At the other extreme, doing 5,000 km a year and running something like Pilot Roads is equally sketchy. Unless you're going to throw them away well before tread wears out you'll end up riding on tyres made of concrete because they're so fucking old.

I try aim for something that will last me a year or so tops, so that i end up cycling them out regularly. That's just me though.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa
    Likes Gippo liked this post

Motorbike
    XDiavel - Dragster RR - 939SP - RC390 - CBR250R - Triumph 675 - 1199SL
    Liked
    1391 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new bike comes standard with Pirelli SuperCorsa - SP Tyres for the street, along with 99% of the Italain Super Bikes in the market.

Gippo might just be confused with the Super Corsa SP & SC compounds is all............. quick lets get him!

RR

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    That's what's on the ZX10RR Endurance Rep... fine in the wet too.
    They don't handle sand very well though
    Rest in Peace

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Bridgestones...

Great if you hate your bike and want to replace it soon anyway by getting rid of it in the most spectacular fashion. Well this is true for OEM Bridgestones, And Dunlops and pretty much any tyre that they roll off the floor with originally.

I used ride with a guy that ran Michelin Macadams on a Z750... on the road I think I could name only 2-3 people that could actually keep up with this guy, ever.

When quizzing him about why he never went for anything softer/sticker, his response was that... "It's the road, you're nowhere near the limit, all you're doing is spending more for tyres that last you less that don't make you faster, as you still haven't improved the most useless component in the package... the rider."
    Your logic has no place in this thread.

GTFO 😂
    Likes TurboR1 liked this post

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you get the ceramic beads from man? They used similar sort of thing im assuming in my truck when did an emergency blow out roadiside fit. Just a big bag that bounces round to counteract aye?

Also i dont own one but a friends offered to lend me his paddock stands. But i haven't used them before can i remove the front wheel with them? I can see the knub on the swing arm lift the rear up but do the front ones latch onto the lower part of the fork or the axle? Stupidest question probably i know. But last time I removed a front wheel on a road bike I ratchet strapped the triple trees to a beam in the shed lol.

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrop.senator View Post
    Where do you get the ceramic beads from man? They used similar sort of thing im assuming in my truck when did an emergency blow out roadiside fit. Just a big bag that bounces round to counteract aye?

Also i dont own one but a friends offered to lend me his paddock stands. But i haven't used them before can i remove the front wheel with them? I can see the knub on the swing arm lift the rear up but do the front ones latch onto the lower part of the fork or the axle? Stupidest question probably i know. But last time I removed a front wheel on a road bike I ratchet strapped the triple trees to a beam in the shed lol.
    Most/all(?) front paddock stands you can remove the front wheel with. It's kinda what they're for...
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have my days mixed up. Is it Friday?
    Likes Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Said it'd be a stupid question man... I've only seen them from a far and given that the swing arm needs a knub to lift on I didnt know how the front was raised. Ive seen a type that has a frame that goes around the wheel and one that sits under and looks like it gripped onto the axles. I didnt know if that type was merely for fitting your warmers before your race.

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrop.senator View Post
    Said it'd be a stupid question man... I've only seen them from a far and given that the swing arm needs a knub to lift on I didnt know how the front was raised. Ive seen a type that has a frame that goes around the wheel and one that sits under and looks like it gripped onto the axles. I didnt know if that type was merely for fitting your warmers before your race.
    The headstock front stands are better IMO, they feel more secure and are easier to put on. Gives you more room to work too. This is the type of thing..

Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    Most/all(?) front paddock stands you can remove the front wheel with. It's kinda what they're for...
    The head steam front stands will allow you to remove the front wheel and forks and all sorts of stuff form the front... just make sure you have the rear on one as well... I have seen a guy at the track put the front stand on first... he only did that once.

As for the under axle ones, they work on most bikes except for... of course... MV fucking Agusta... which have the front axle secured via and underslung clamp, much like scaffold tube. Meaning that if you have a stand that picks them up at the bottom of the forks you're fucked... you can buy an MV specific stand... probably cost $8000 and can be ordered in between 4 to 96 weeks depending if they feel like sending one.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes thro, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be aware of a few potential issues with head-stem stands:

1. its easy to pinch your brake lines in there if you're not careful, depending on how they're routed. a mate ruined 2 sets of braided lines on his ZX6R like this. be sure they're out of the way before lifting the bike up on it.
    2. hondas take large pins, which your stand may not come with (e.g., i have both types of front stand and the head-stem wont work on my 600 or 1000 as the headstock is too big)
    3. again... with the head-stem stands, they may foul on your fairing (e.g, as with my 600RR), unless you take it off first. this could be due to the custom machined pin i have for it, or it may be specific to this particular front stand or whatever. but it is something i have encountered...

that said, head stem is much more stable than fork leg, and as TurboR1 said, you can remove the forks using one.

AS to how i use my fork leg stand... i put the lift under the brake caliper mounts (radial brakes). seems to be much better than trying to lift by the bottom of the fork.

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. hondas take large pins, which your stand may not come with (e.g., i have both types of front stand and the head-stem wont work on my 600 or 1000 as the headstock is too big)
    Just get a head stem stand with removable different sized pins...

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    Just get a head stem stand with removable different sized pins...

I did.

It came with about 5-6 different pins, the largest of which was too small - by quite a bit.

Ended up getting a mate of a mate to machine one, but he kinda fucked it up. Haven't gotten around to getting it sorted properly.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to tyres though, things you should be able to notice...

Changes in profile, going from say a 190/55 to a 190/60, or a 200 on the rear, also changing profile on the front can make a HUGE difference to how a bike handles. much like how it feels when you get a new set of tyres to replace you old worn out ones. You can tie yourself in all sorts of handling knots by doing this that no amount of suspension fiddling can get out if you don't like it. And at $400-$600 a set of tyres it's not often an avenue explored as people tend to stick with stock true sizes.

But if you're feeling adventurous... give it a shot.
    Likes thro, shortSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did.

It came with about 5-6 different pins, the largest of which was too small - by quite a bit.
    I find I can get around that by using a spark plug socket, the big one, from a 1/2" socket set...
    Likes thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ just on that too. different brands are different size for the same "Size" listed on the tyre.

this is why mix-match can go horribly wrong (or, if you know what you're doing or are lucky - make the bike handle better by correcting a front/rear balance problem), and also why different brands can also feel so different.

e.g., a 190/55 in brand A may be almost the same circumference as a 190/60 in brand B.

i.e., fitting a 190/55 in brand A when you previously had brand B (especially if you left the front the same) = you just jacked the rear of the bike up (putting more weight on the front).

This may be why i dislike Pirelli on my Honda so much. Because it altered the front/rear ride height - and Bridgestone is the factory tyre (vs. pirelli being factory fitment on ducati, etc.). But i never checked it back in the day and as TurboR1 said, at 400-600 a pop its easier to just go with what i know i like.

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread has successfully been throlled
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planned on going 190 50 as standard. Was thinking wider looks cool but i don't think will be much use due to the skinny rim might egg the shape a bit? Due to the fact im reasonably short and the rear already feels a little high I dont think the 55s will be a good upgrade for me. Will get marty to look at that though. I had heard the 55s were cool upgrade as it makes able to lean lower as creates a larger contact patch at angle but i wasn't going to bother playing with the tyre heights I dont think.